It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User
I cant believe this happened!

Okay.....so last week, the tests came back and it said I was positive for herpes. I have never been so ******. So I am thinking back to how, when, and where I could have gotten it.
I havent had many sexual partners over the years, but I have a suspicion as to how I got it. Okay, let me tell you and then maybe someone has an idea if this is possible........ in December 2002 I got pregnant by my boyfriend. At the time, he had a coldsore. We had oral sex, because I really didnt think anything of it. I was clueless I suppose. At the end of February 2003, I miscarried. Right after that, I got sores all over in my mouth and throat. Then I got Bells Palsy. Information I got from online and the neurologist I saw said that it is caused by a herpes-like virus.
Okay....so, is it really possible that I got herpes from my boyfriend having a cold sore? I am sooooooo crushed. I have never had an STD, and it just figures that I would get one that there is no cure for. Oh well, I never cared much for sex anyway, but still.......I feel like everyone knows, even though logically I know that its not like I am wearing a neon sign.

Also..in the event that I get into a serious relationship, I can still spread this, right?

Any help anyone has would be great.

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:22 AM   #2
(female)

Jessicat223 HB User
Re: I cant believe this happened!

Hi,
I believe you can get it from a coldsore from your boyfriend.
Did you find out if the dr. said Herpes 1 or 2.
You can have Herpes 1 in the genital area as well as the face.
I used to get it baaad on my face and genital area. I believe I have gotten it the same way you did from my husband-oral sex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 08:24 AM   #3
(male)

Stillhope1 HB User

Only during shedding, replicating, or an OB. Do not be crushed if you need a list of things to help I will give it to you let me know.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

Stillhope......OMG.....I am still just freaking out about it. Plus, I am having a baby any day now, so this is REALLY freaking me out. I dont have any sores or anything so the doc said that was good. He said that they did the test, and that it came back positive for being 'herpatic', which i know is just a formal way of saying I have it. Not sure if it is 1 or 2.....THERE ARE 2 OF EM? Oh geeeezzzzzzz..... I dont really care for sex that much so right now it is not a big deal. BUT....what if I really find mr right or something or get into a relationship. That means that I gotta tell em, huh? Gosh how humiliating. My baby's father is gonna really be ****** when I tell him. Oh geeezzzzz......

Anything u have to help would be great.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #5

unlucky_guy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayazmama
Stillhope......OMG.....I am still just freaking out about it. Plus, I am having a baby any day now, so this is REALLY freaking me out. I dont have any sores or anything so the doc said that was good. He said that they did the test, and that it came back positive for being 'herpatic', which i know is just a formal way of saying I have it. Not sure if it is 1 or 2.....THERE ARE 2 OF EM? Oh geeeezzzzzzz..... I dont really care for sex that much so right now it is not a big deal. BUT....what if I really find mr right or something or get into a relationship. That means that I gotta tell em, huh? Gosh how humiliating. My baby's father is gonna really be ****** when I tell him. Oh geeezzzzz......

Anything u have to help would be great.
Yes, you have to tell future partners because there is always going to be a risk that you can infect someone else with this. There are precautions you can take, though, like using condoms, and taking the anti-viral pills every single day can help reduce the risk of infecting your partner.

Last edited by unlucky_guy; 03-03-2005 at 09:21 PM.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

zayazmama...what is your doctor doing to prevent your baby from congenital hsv? my boys contracted hsv during my labor and delivery (but this is very uncommon!)

Old 03-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
(female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User

Yes, it is very possible to get GH from a cold sore on another person. Also, you can have H1 on your face or genitals, as well as H2 in both places. They used to make a big deal about saying you can only get 1 on your face and 2 on your genitals, but that is just not true.

I know it seems like the end of the world now. I really do. I contracted H 12 years ago from a man who raped me. Talk about feeling like I didn't deserve it. I thought my life was over.

It was hard to tell my husband (of ten years now) about the H, but something I had to do. And he was (and still is) so cool about it. Read the post titled "happy couples" in this section. A lot of really inspiring stories.

Good luck to you and your new baby.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:04 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayazmama
Okay.....so last week, the tests came back and it said I was positive for herpes. I have never been so ******. So I am thinking back to how, when, and where I could have gotten it.
I havent had many sexual partners over the years, but I have a suspicion as to how I got it. Okay, let me tell you and then maybe someone has an idea if this is possible........ in December 2002 I got pregnant by my boyfriend. At the time, he had a coldsore. We had oral sex, because I really didnt think anything of it. I was clueless I suppose. At the end of February 2003, I miscarried. Right after that, I got sores all over in my mouth and throat. Then I got Bells Palsy. Information I got from online and the neurologist I saw said that it is caused by a herpes-like virus.
Okay....so, is it really possible that I got herpes from my boyfriend having a cold sore? I am sooooooo crushed. I have never had an STD, and it just figures that I would get one that there is no cure for. Oh well, I never cared much for sex anyway, but still.......I feel like everyone knows, even though logically I know that its not like I am wearing a neon sign.

Also..in the event that I get into a serious relationship, I can still spread this, right?

Any help anyone has would be great.

Thanks.
Sorry about your bad luck. In order to move forward, you're probably going to need to know which type of herpes you have - 1 or 2. This will give you an idea of the number and severity of outbreaks you are likely to expect, as well as making sure you are better informed to tell partners and are better able to judge the risk. This is because if you meet someone who has the same type of herpes in the same place(s), you have significantly less to worry about, as they can't be reinfected in the same place. If you meet someone with the same type in a different location to you - i.e. someone with type 1 orally and you have it orally and genitally - you could give it to this person genitally but the risk is reduced because they have the antibodies (although you should never have sex during outbreaks).

If it makes you feel any better - if you got herpes from oral sex (and unfortunately, even though your bf had a cold sore, you don't know if you got it from the genital sex when he was asymptomatically shedding) - then it is likely to be type 1, which even by conservative estimates is probably present in about 40-50% of the population and in some studies is as high as 75% of the population.

Closed Thread