It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
(female)

lola1777 HB User
Breakout, HELP!

Help! I am new to having HVS1, I got it a month ago and my baby got it too. We both went to the doctor but they told us it was too late to start any meds, it had been day 3 by then. Well, I got a huge blister on my lip the whole top lip and it was so embarrasing. It lasted for 2 weeks before it got better and finally on the 3rd week went away. I just kept putting vaseline on it everyday like the doctor suggested. Well, yesterday I started with the tingling sensation and itching all over again, so immediately I took the aciclovyr and applied abreva to it. Now, today it is so swollen, it looks like I had botox injections on my upper lip. It is so huge. I don't know what else to do. To top it off we are leaving for vacation in 5 days. Help, please...any advice to speed healing!

Old 03-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
(female)

Sue HB User
Re: Breakout, HELP!

Oh Boy.......yes I do know what you're going through. I'm going through it right now......only on my BOTTOM lip. I've tried everything imaginable. I get this Virus often, sometimes on my chin. When it gets into the lips, I'm a goner! haha.......lymph nodes are also swollen all the way down my throat to catch the infection. I've tried acycolvir and everything else. So, I "do" know what severe means and how crappy it is to have this!

Just found a new ointment. It's pretty excellent for me. It's called Zilactin. Can buy it at the drugstore for about $8.00. Also got some Chapstick for cold sores. This is in a tube. HAS to have CAMPHOR in it. The more the better.

Wash area with soap. I use Irish Spring (green). It helps to dry it out.
Apply the Zilactin - it's stings alittle. Zilactin also helps to dry it out.

You HAVE to dry it out. Do not keep it too moist. It'll take longer to heal. It will still take about 5-7 days anyway.

At night I use the chapstick tube. More thick and makes the lip feel better....soothing.

Anyway, do the soap and Zilacin.......many many many times a day. And you don't have to wash your whole face every time. Just that area....gently.....with your fingertips. Pat it dry. Use Zilactin. Got to dry the those little stupid fluid bumps out. Do not pick them. Wash your hands after. Don't touch your eyes.

Also, at the beginning you can also ice your lip on and off. Will help with swelling, but the soap and Zilactin and Chapstick is what helps.

You CAN put makeup over it to help cover. I do....and have been doing it for 20 years. Makeup doesn't hurt it.....cuz the cold sores (herpes) are going to do it's own thing anyway.

This is a virus and it has to work it's way out.

The Four Main things that cause a herpes outbreak is:
SUN
STRESS
COLD
WIND

Forget about the Vaseline. It won't do anything except keep it moist, which you DON'T want.

(PS): I heard the Abreva is pretty good.

Hope this helps. I know it will.........

Take care,
Sue

Last edited by Sue; 03-04-2005 at 05:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
(female)

lola1777 HB User

Thank you so much!!! Your a godsend. I am going to start that now. I went to the health food store and bought all kinds of vitamins. The sales rep suggested a lysine gel for my lips, but when I put it on I noticed nothing and in fact a while later it started burning and itching again. So, I took it off after I read your note and I cleansed it and applied camphophenique for cold sores. I cannot find that one you suggested. I have to go to another store to look for it. Anyway, I will keep using it to dry it out. I guess tonight I will do the abreva and then the chapstick to sleep. I am so paranoid about this. I want it to heal before thursday. I am taking those mega dose vitamins and l-lysine tablets. Well, thanks so much. TAKE CARE.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Vaseline is not a good idea to put on sores, but having dry and cracked lips is one of the main causes for oral herpes outbreaks - at least for me, so if you don't already use some kind of lip balm / lip care product, you should consider it. Healthy and well-cared for lips seem less likely to have outbreaks. Whether it is a result of me getting older and getting accustomed to the virus, or using lip balm, I don't know, but my sister told me to start using lip balm.

She said, she also has oral herpes type 1, but doesn't get outbreaks. Could be she is naturally less prone to them, but she thinks that caring for her lips has an impact. I took her advice and have gone from having 4-6 oral herpes outbreaks a year to 1-2 or even less, which is a lot easier to cope with.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:39 AM   #5
(female)

lola1777 HB User

Thanks. I remember reading about that to keep your lips protected especially in the sun. I am sitting here and wishing this will go away. I know I must have gotten it because I can't get rid of this cold virus that I have had for a while now. Plus my stress level is extremley high. I am trying to stay calm and think peacefully. I have been really careful about not rubbing or touching the lip that way it won't break. That is what happened my first time, I was washing my face and accidently scratched my lip right where the blister was and it opened and got much, much worse. After it healed it left a scar on my lip, of course you can't tell when I wear lipstick. Well, tomorrow I will see about wearing lipstick. I think I will stay home all day. Oh, does anyone know if acyclovir causes diarrhea. Or maybe l-lysine? I am having it and cannot attribute it to anything else.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #6

kierstyn_04 HB User

Herpicin-L (nice name huh) it comes in a tube like chapstick, and its at your local drugstore for like 10 bucks I think. Worked for me, i use ot all teh time its also good for just keeping your lips soft etc.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #7

kierstyn_04 HB User

You can get herpicin-L at the drug store it works pretty well, and you can put it on under lipstick, it says so on the package and works well.

Last edited by kierstyn_04; 03-05-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:32 AM   #8
(female)

lola1777 HB User

I have another question...when the lip cracks, do I continue using the zilactin to dry it out? or should I use the abreva? I burns like hell, but then it really soothes it and lasts for a while. I have been using the zilactin and it hasn't gotten worse, but now its cracked and is splitting, looks like its shedding. What should I do? Also, is it safe to apply heat? As in a hair dryer heat? does it speed healing? Thanks.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
(female)

Sue HB User

Hi Lola!

Glad to hear you got the Zilactin! And yes, it DOES sting! But then feels good afterwards. Sounds like you got it good and dried out. Good! When it gets THAT dried out, yes, definitley put alittle moisture on it (chapstick, Abreva.....something moist). I put the Zilactin on first (stings) and then some heavy duty chapstick cold sore ointment or just plain chapstick (again, something alittle moist) for soothing.

At this point, it sound like all the swelling is gone down (which is what we wanted). That peeling, "shedding" stuff is good. It's starting to heal good now. Scabs.....good thing. And yes, it can kind of crack and bleed alittle bit, and maybe even some fluids are still coming out. That's ok. Use alittle more moisture at this point.

(My lips are "shedding" now too).

Just a few more days and it should be gone.

You said you are going on vacation soon ? (Thursday, if I remember)? Where? To a Sunny Spot?? That sounds soooo nice. Make sure you get some sunscreen for lips and just keep it on all the time!!!! (Can wear it under lipstick too, if you're a lipstick wearer like I am).

Let me know how you're coming along. I'll check back later.

PS: nah, forget about the heat/hairblower thing. Won't help. Will only aggrevate the situation...

Take care,
Sue

Last edited by Sue; 03-08-2005 at 05:01 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Sometimes the best way to help a cold sore heal is to just leave it alone! It's very tempting to stick all kind of stuff on there, but it's probably best just to let your body deal with it and let it heal in its own time. Don't be tempted to pick it etc either - leave it be and it should clear up of its own accord before long.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

Also Ive been seeing a new commerical on tv called Herpa-----something...All I know is the beginning name of it is Herpa and its for sores on your lips like that, may be worth looking into?

Old 03-18-2005, 03:35 AM   #12
(female)

lola1777 HB User

HI AGAIN,
I just wanted to let you know that it healed the day before we left, completely! yeah! it only took 5 days to clear up, that is major compared to the first time it took 3 weeks. This treatment definitely worked. I am so paranoid now, every time my lip itches, I am thinking to start putting the zilactin on it. haha. well, thanks to all.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
(female)

Sue HB User

Hi Lola:

REALLY GLAD to hear that all is good now! Glad I was able to help! Like I said before, I've tried EVERYTHING! But the routine I told you about works the best for me.

At night, after I wash my face before I go to sleep, I put that "fruit flavored" chapstick on. It just feels good. Doesn't do anything for coldsores, but keeping lips moist is a good thing (when not in a herpes breakout).

Hope you had a great vacation!

Take care,
Sue

Closed Thread