It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
(male)

bill02 HB User
Herpes 1 initial outbreak on genitals?

Gf tells me today she tested positive for herpes type 1. This is weird, because I think she gave me type 2. I had a huge first genital outbreak 6 weeks ago (and still just tested negative for both types)

Gf had what looked like a small mouth sore the morning after we first hooked up (oral & vaginal sex) I did not think anything about it. Now I wonder, she has type 1 active sore, we exchange oral sex, then move to penetration. 22 days later I break out with genital herpes blisters down stairs.

Could I just have got type 1 that broke out on my genitals? Maybe wont ever out break down stairs again? Hmm I should have tested positive for type 1 after 6 weeks after outbreak, and 8 weeks after exposed to her sore, right?

I still think i must have 2, no?

Someone must know / has heard of something like this before? Please respond.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:49 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: Herpes 1 initial outbreak on genitals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkill2

Gf tells me today she tested positive for herpes type 1. This is weird, because I think she gave me type 2. I had a huge first genital outbreak 6 weeks ago (and still just tested negative for both types)

Gf had what looked like a small mouth sore the morning after we first hooked up (oral & vaginal sex) I did not think anything about it. Now I wonder, she has type 1 active sore, we exchange oral sex, then move to penetration. 22 days later I break out with genital herpes blisters down stairs.

Could I just have got type 1 that broke out on my genitals? Maybe wont ever out break down stairs again? Hmm I should have tested positive for type 1 after 6 weeks after outbreak, and 8 weeks after exposed to her sore, right?

I still think i must have 2, no?

Someone must know / has heard of something like this before? Please respond.
I have genital herpes type 1 from a cold sore. You should know that 6-8 weeks after exposure to her sore is NOT enough time to be certain that you do not have type 1. Most people will develop antibodies to type 1 herpes within a couple of weeks but a significant number of people will take longer... You should be re-tested after 16 weeks, this will be much more accurate and give you a better idea where you are. You should be tested for type 2 at the same time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 02:09 AM   #3
(male)

bill02 HB User

Ok, thanks for the help.

So you are saying I could have type one, on my genitals? I asked my doctor, and he started saying one is mouth, two is genitals. I asked him if it could be one anyways, and he said no. then followed with crap that it could be anything.. blaa blaa bla

????????????????

Old 03-06-2005, 03:37 AM   #4

internet! HB User

yeah you can get type 1 on your genitals. Its more common amongst college age kids to contract type 1 genitally than it is to get type 2 now (because of the rise of oral sex in recent years).

Ive had type 1 for almost a year, its slowed itself down some but initially it was pretty bad. No really obvious sores but a lot of burning and twinges and stuff. I get the feeling a lot of people get HSV-1 genitally and either have very mild symptoms or have somewhat obvious genital problems that go pretty much unnoticed and are chalked up to being something else even with a positive blood test because that usually means "you had a coldsore once" as far as MDs are concerned.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkill2
Ok, thanks for the help.

So you are saying I could have type one, on my genitals? I asked my doctor, and he started saying one is mouth, two is genitals. I asked him if it could be one anyways, and he said no. then followed with crap that it could be anything.. blaa blaa bla

????????????????
Your doctor is wrong, unfortunately. Don't worry - a lot of us on this board have seen misinformed doctors. Some are very good, but I have two friends who are doctors and I know more about herpes than either of them do. You can certainly have type 1 on your genitals and as internet said above, it's increasingly common amongst young people. I have it! Only bright spot is that it should be significantly less trouble for you than type 2 down there, if you follow the general trend.

The old view used to be that all genital herpes was 2 and all oral herpes was 1. I know for a fact that that is not true as I have type 1 on both my mouth and genitals! - but I hardly ever get OBs in either place, usually if they happen it's my mouth as type 1 prefers the mouth, but it certainly can make a nice home for itself in the genitals.

I had the same problem as internet regarding burning and twinges early on (although I also had a couple of OBs right at the beginning) but it has slowed down to nothing now. The genital area is slightly more sensitive than it was before, but it's not all that bad.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

yup...you definately can get hsvv-1 in your genital tract. either virus can actually cause outbreaks anywhere! you can get either virus on your bum, your arms, your hands, any skin. i suspect i have hsv1 in my genital tract b/c my boys contracted neonatal hsv-1, which almost always is transmitted from the mom (although I've never had any obs or symptoms).

it's also possible to have BOTH types in your genitals. the best way to find out is to have any outbreaks cultured at the beginning of the outbreak.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
(male)

bill02 HB User

Like I told you guys before, my gf just tested positive for type one. My out break was on my genitals, but are now gone. (8 weeks later and I still tested negative for both types) at 3 months I will re-test.

Speaking in terms of most common; if I have type one with a first break out on my genitals, will more ob come on my genitals? Once on the genitals always on the genitals? Or will it migrate to my mouth in time, and stay there?

I already know more than my doctors…

Old 03-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

no, it doesn't migrate. you can re-transmit it to yourself, but doctors don't seem to agree on how likely that is. Some say you can do that if you are shedding, others say that you can only do it during an initial ob. either way, since it's transmitted by skin-to-skin contact, just avoid touching your mouth after touching your genitals (seems like a no brainer, eh?). when you are not having an outbreak the virus is hiding in your sacral ganglia, a bundle of nerves near the base of your spine. When the virus reactivates it will shed and may or may not cause more outbreaks in the future. With hsv-1, the virus is less likely to activate, so people with herpes 1 on their genitals tend to have fewer, less frequent outbreaks and they are reported as less severe than hsv2 outbreaks. This is because hsv-1 is more suited to hide in the trigeminal ganglia, a nerve bundle near the face. When the viruses get into a nerve bundle outside the one they are "designed" for, they tend to reactivate less frequently and shed less of the virus when they do. I guess that's the "good news" ?!

Closed Thread