It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 08:20 AM   #1

fromengland HB User
can i have children?

me and my partner have both just started having symptons for genital herpes the doctor told her she had thrush but i have started having all the symptons that i have read about , we have been together for 8 months and neither of us have have sex with any one else while we have been together and i hadnt had sex with any one else since last july so i could have had herpes all the time that we was together id also been for 2 swab tests while iv been with my girl and they didnt tell me i had herpes. if we both do have herpes does this mean we will never have children?

Old 03-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User
Re: can i have children?

No...it doesn't mean that at all!!! Herpes does not prevent pregnancy. It can cause complications for newborns, as it did for mine, but honestly it is very rare and the highest risk is to babies born to mothers who contract hsv during late pregnancy and don't know they have it. If she does have herpes and later gets pregnant, then her risk of passing the infection onto her baby is as low as 1%! That is very low when you consider the risk of other conditions! Ways to protect your baby-to-be include avoiding activities which could infect mom during pregnancy (if she doesn't have herpes already), being candid with her doctor about her hsv status, physically pointing to and showing her doctor where her outbreaks occur, being aware of prodrome symptoms (burning, tingling, itching, etc), and discussing her doctor's stance on suppressive therapy during pregnancy. Typically, moms with herpes can even have a healthy vaginal delivery! Surgical deliveries are only indicated if there is an active outbreak or prodrome symptoms at the time of delivery!

Your odds of having happy healthy children are really good! Please try not to let that worry you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Also, bear in mind that your gf may well have thrush (instead of, or in conjunction with, herpes) and could have passed the thrush onto you, which might explain some of your symptoms. Get tested so you know what you are dealing with.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

beaker has a VERY good point! luckily, diflucan can treat thrush pretty easily. it is strange that the doc would call it thrush if it's in her genitals though. typically yeast infections in the mouth are referred to as thrush. but i doubt the name matters much.

Last edited by hsvmom; 03-10-2005 at 08:40 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

HSVmom- in the UK, they usually refer to vaginal yeast infections as thrush!

Old 03-11-2005, 05:21 AM   #6

fromengland HB User

i think its definatly herpes iv got 2 scabbed over blisters and my lynph nodes in my legs are swollen up like tennis balls so i doubt it is a yeast infection

Old 03-11-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker24
HSVmom- in the UK, they usually refer to vaginal yeast infections as thrush!
really? learn something new everday!

Old 03-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromengland
i think its definatly herpes iv got 2 scabbed over blisters and my lynph nodes in my legs are swollen up like tennis balls so i doubt it is a yeast infection
The only thing that I would say is that if you are having symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection, consider taking an over-the-counter remedy for this. You could well have thrush at the same time as your herpes outbreak. Thrush is quite commonly seen with herpes, particularly on the initial OB. They each make each other worse!

I had my first ever yeast infection at the same time as my first OB of genital herpes and it was DISGUSTING!!

Old 03-11-2005, 09:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

Just to clarify...someone please correct me where I am wrong...
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterherbalist
There are 2 types of herpes virus.
There are six types of herpes viruses that infect humans. There are two types of herpes simplex viruses.
Quote:
Type 1 (herpes simplex) causes cold sores, skin eruptions, and inflammation of the eye cornea. An infected eye can lead to serious complications. Treat immediately.
By type one, you mean Herpes Simplex Virus type 1 (HSV-1). When you refer to "Type 2" you are also refering to the herpes simplex virus, HSV-2. BOTH cause the same types of skin lesions and both can infect the eye.
Quote:
Type 2 (genital herpes) is the most common form and is a sexually transmitted disease.
Any herpes in the genital tract is considered genital herpes. The only difference between these two viruses is the nerve bundle that they are more specifically adapted to. They can both infect the genitals (or ANY other part of the body!) and are both herpes simplex. It can be transmitted by ANY skin to skin contact during shedding/obs.
Quote:
This virus can be passed to babies in the birth canal; therefore, a Cesarean section may be required.
Either virus can be passed to babies during delivery IF the mother is shedding or has active lesions (1-5% chance in moms who have herpes prior to conceiving). Surgical delivery is only indicated in those situations. Also, certain other precautions (membranes not ruptured for 6+ hours and internal monitors avoided) should be taken to prevent transmission during a surgical delivery.

I know that wasn't at all the point of the original post, but though it should be clarified for others who may be reading and looking for accurate info. Someone please correct me or clarify for me where I may be wrong!

Last edited by hsvmom; 03-11-2005 at 09:04 PM.

Closed Thread