It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

preocupado HB User
First ob or not???? Help!!!

Hi,
Already asked this question but will again in hope to get more answers.

Is the first ob always the worst? What I mean is, could I have had smaller ones for years and thought they were a yeast infection and now get a huge, all symptoms ob?

Iīm trying to figure this out because Iīm trying to learn what the signs are for an ob. Iīm now in the middle of a what seems a first ob, blisters, hurt in the genital area, sore muscles, sore lymphs, weird skin sensations, fatigue etc..

Also a few more questions:
My blisters in the genital area seem to have healed a bit, but now Iīm wondering if I have an ob on my butt cheeks. Looks like a cluster of tiny pimples, on both sides.

For future obīs, do they tend to come in the place where you had your first blister or anywhere?

Is it normal to have a milky kind vaginal discharge?

All help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: First ob or not???? Help!!!

Yes, you can have very mild OBs which can be mistaken for other things e.g. yeast infections and then get hit with a bad outbreak. Have you been rundown lately, or ill?

Future outbreaks often come back in the same spot as the initial OB, but genital herpes outbreaks can occur anywhere in the area which would be covered by a pair of boxer shorts.

Discharge is sometimes present with herpes, not always, but it can be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
(female)

preocupado HB User

Thanks for your answer! I still find it hard to believe that I would have had mild outbreaks for perhaps years and then this very huge one. From what Iīve read it is the first one which is the the strongest. Would be kinda weird to have for a year or evne two mild ones you donīt even really know of and then get tons of blisters, muscle pain, swollen lymphs, the whole works,

I did have sex recently with 4 different guys (during a course of 2 months) and my symptoms started 4-5 days after Iīd been with the last one (er were together twice, the symptoms came after the last encounter). We mainly had oral sex. At the same time I have had a huge cold for over a month and been very run down, like you suggested.

The thing is that I was tested for stdīs BEFORE I had sex with these 4 guys. All clean. But now Iīm wondering if they did test for herpes or not, canīt remember. I do know that all the usual stdīs were tested, they took a urine, vaginal and blood sample. Iīm not at home right now, living abroad, so I canīt check which tests were done.

Does anyone know if herpes is automatically tested with the other stdīs? Or does it differ from place to place, country to country?

Old 03-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

It is usually, but not always, the first outbreak that is the worst. It does sound like if you do have herpes you may have picked it up from one of the guys you have been with recently.

I am in the UK. I know that herpes is not included in standard STD tests in the USA as I have read this on this board before now. You have to ask for it specifically. In the UK it's no longer one of those diseases everyone seems to be concerned about - I don't know why this should be the case, although our HSV2 infection rates are somewhat lower than the USAs. Over here people are quite preoccupied with chlamydia (because it causes infertility in women). It's not actually easy to get a blood test for herpes here.

Last edited by beaker24; 03-14-2005 at 03:16 PM.

Old 03-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I'm in Australia and the herpes test is done seperately to your usual std testing. I don't know why every country doesn't automatically do herpes testing when a person asks for an std test!!

I have recently seen a new type of advert here for herpes. They point out the fact that a lot of women think they are having a yeast infection when in fact it is herpes. As herpes pops up in so many weird and wonderful places and in so many variations. Mine is at my anal area and each repetitive ob has been in same area.

Even my gp dismissed my herpes as a small and insignificant heat rash, but luckily i had it swabbed at a sexual health clinic as my gp didn't feel it to be necessary and yes, the results came back positive for type two, but my ob flared up after 2 months and i didn't feel any other symptoms prior to that. Once it flared up i did notice a slightly different discharge too. My partner had also used a condom as we believed that condoms were protection, which i've since found out isn't the case.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
(female)

preocupado HB User

Thanks for all the answers! It is really strange that herpers would not be in the standard testing. Could this be because itīs sometimes hard to detect, several tests might be needed? I also canīt understand why the medications are so expensive! If 1 out of 5 men have it and 1 out of 4 women it is pretty common, huh! And probably even more have it but just donīt know it and certainly donīt frequent these types of forums.

Well, all I can do now i wiat and see what happens. Iīm taking Acyclovir 200mg 5 times a day, for 10 days. Also plan to raid a health store for vitamins, altough I donīt know what I can find here in my current location.

Also waiting for blood test results to find out which type I have, but could be this test wonīt show anything, so have to get re-tested.

I would just love to know when I got this approximately, to know the symptoms better. Seems really hard to tell ehat the symptoms are, yeast, a pimple, some other type of irritation or just a regular bump donw there, at least my skin isnīt all even in my genitals.

I also want to know if itīs type 1 or 2, because the obīs could be far less with type 1.

Right now it seems the virus has migratet to my butt cheeks and around the anus. I do hope I will recognize the signs in the future and that I wonīt have a non-stop worry of each ich, bump or sign of something weird. Itīs been so long since Iīve had a preriod of absolutely no trouble in my privates. tons of yeast infections etc., that I donīt even know by now what a healthy genital area is like!

But life goes on

Old 03-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

To rule out a yeast infection why don't you visit your local doctor for a vaginal swab. It's an extremely painless procedure, nothing like pap smears. This would then rule out yeast and one less thing for you to worry about. I think the reasons why women often feel it could just be a yeast infection is due to the discharge and itch.

I've read in a number of places where women have mentioned yeast infections and i was wondering, do herpes meds make it possible to get a yeast inbalance like general antibiotics for other viruses? If this could happen, then that would explain yeast and herpes. What a bad combination

As for blood tests for std/herpes, i think they draw one lot of blood for general stds and a seperate amount of blood which gets seperately tested for herpes and also type tested so that you can be informed on whether you have type 1 or 2 or both. A lot of people will come up positive for type 1 due to getting cold sores around the mouth area already. I think, from what i've been told at my clinic, they say eg: 1 in 5 people have herpes, but when they say this, they don't say which type of herpes. Of course the figures will be higher due to herpes cold sores at the mouth, i don't think the 1 in 5 figure represent genital herpes exactly. A lot of people carry genital herpes, yet never display symptoms so they don't ever get themselves tested and therefore they could be passing it onto others, especially if they have a lot of casual only relationships. Who knoes what the true figures really are.

If your town doesn't have an actual healthfood store, you could even try your local supermarket. They all seem to have a health section these days and you can buy so many types of vitamins. A lot of people buy products off the internet quite safely these days too.

Once you have had the initial ob, any further ob's seem to occur for varying reason from person to person. Mine were happening right after my period, which would be a hormonal issue i think. Others on the boards have said chocolate or certain types of foods will bring on an ob, for somebody else it's stress or not enough sleep or a low immune system or perhaps an unhealthy lifestyle.

The best way for you to start is by not stressing about it, getting yourself worried and worked up wont help. Try to get quality sleep, eating healthy as in lots of fruit/veg, drinking enough water also seems to help so many people. Next, buy yourself a multivitamin and i would personally buy a container of garlic gel capsules. They are odourless these days and fantastic for the immune system. Even including fresh garlic into your cooking is good. I used garlic to boost my immune system way before getting herpes. I also believe that boosting my immune system helped with my seasonal allergies (but that's a whole other story). Lysine is another good product. I used to take lysine for cold sores at my mouth. When i found out i had herpes type 2, i began taking it again, but have now stopped just to see if there is a difference. Read through other posts as a lot of people have given examples of what has helped them.

In the end, it just comes down to experimenting with what works for you. There are so many healthy options out there, i'm certain something will work for you in the end and if you find something which hasn't been mentioned on here, let us all know.

Closed Thread