It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
(female)

preocupado HB User
HSV-1 from oral sex - no oral outbreaks???

Hi,
Iīm having a herpes ob genitally, my first one. I still donīt know if it is hsv-1 or 2, but plan to find out. My first bloodwork came back all negative, so the transmission was recent and no antibodies yet to tell which type it is.

My questions are:

1. Anybody out there who has hsv-1 genitally but never had oral leasions? That is, did anybody get hsv-1 from oral sex but never got leasions in the mouth? Iīm wondering this since it might be I got the herpes from oral sex but I did kiss the guy as well and no leasions have appeared in my mouth.
2. Are swollen neck lymphs (under your chin) a normal symptom for your first ob? I have the swollen lymphs in my groin too, plus all the muscel and skin sensations
3. does anyone have a problem distunguishing between some pimples on the butt and an ob? I frequently get pimples on my butt - not too pretty - and Iīm wondering how Iīll tell the difference in the future. Right now I think I have a herpes ob on both butcheeks
4. Any women out there get a milky white discharge from the vagina with their first ob?

All answers greatly appreciated!

Old 03-17-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: HSV-1 from oral sex - no oral outbreaks???

If this is HSV1, it's possible that you just haven't seen any oral outbreaks yet, but may in the future. Herpes can be weird! You may well see one outbreak and then no others (this is what happens to most people) Have you had any minor symptoms on your mouth at all? Itchiness, flaky skin there or anything?

If you are rundown or sick then you will get swollen glands / lymph nodes in your neck so this could well be a symptom of an initial OB.

I used to get pimples on my butt. The herpes was a lot more painful! - the pimples didn't hurt at all.

I had some discharge, but I also had my first bout of thrush simultaneously with my first bout of genital H....!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 04:10 AM   #3

Littleme1969 HB User
Lightbulb Re: HSV-1 from oral sex - no oral outbreaks???

Type 1 is very different to type 2.
I first had an outbreak 4 years ago. Caught it from my husband who has it in the cold sore form through oral sex. I didnt have a cold sore first either, and though I have had many outbreaks I have only ever had 2 cold sores in the whole 4 years.
Type 1 in my experience is not painfull at all. It also tends to be lisions rather than blisters. You my get the odd one that forms a crust, but mainly its just raised areas of red skin that are not painfull. they tend to come in clusters and are of iregular shape. unlike a spot that would tend to be round.
Garlic oil does help to reduce the length and spread of the outbreak. Take the capsules daily, and also apply to the affected areas, its the only thing I have found that really helps. plus if you kep up the capusles it will supress an outbreak, and when you do get them..they are never as bad.
Its all very scary at first, but you soon realise its livable with.

Hope this helps

Nikki

Old 03-18-2005, 05:17 AM   #4
(female)

preocupado HB User

Hi,
Thanks for the answers! I have had some burning sensation in my mouth, or on my tongue, but nothing visible really. Just a bit of a harsh throat, not much, mainly swollen lymphs in my neck.

Like I said Iīm still in the middle of my first ob. Iīve read that when the virus hits you it attacks the whole system, so could this be a reason for swollen lymphs in every part of my body? Iīm obviously totally freaked out about hiv, just had a second test taken, but have to wait for another month or so to be tested again, to know for sure.

Still donīt know if I have hsv-1 or 2. As I understand it the first ob for both is isimilar, but like everyone points out, herpes varies in all persons.

As to the pimples on my butt, really donīt know if itīs pimples or a herpes rash. The skin on my butt has never been even and perfect but now Iīm of course more hysterical about it, canīt really tell which is which. Iīve had some butt pain, mainly when this whole thing started. Now I seems to have these small red spots on my butt cheeks, no leasions.

I just finished my 10 day treatment with Acyclovir but donīt know if the ob is all gone. Should I continue the treatment or not??? How do you know if itīs all gone??? If thereīs a red spot or something, how can you tell what it is???

Very confusing...

Old 03-18-2005, 06:02 AM   #5

Littleme1969 HB User

Yes.. when you first have an attack it does feel like a viral infection of some kind.. you feel run down.. almost like a mild flu bug. But this does fade with time, and the future bouts tend not to have any other symptoms other than Blisters/leasions.

The thing to do is not freak out!!..lol I know that sounds hard..but by stressing your body with worry you will only prolong an attack! The main cause of future breakouts is Stress/infection/general poor health. The virus is very oppertunistic. It waits till your immune system is supressed then it attacks.

telling the difference is not always easy.. especially if you are prone to spots/rash in that area. Type 2 has distinctive blisters..which are very sore to the touch.. where as type 1 tends to be more like raised red leasions that have no or very little pain and only on occasion form a blister. In both cases as I siad before they tend not to be round in shape.. but more irregular.. maybe someone else will put me right on that, but the reaserch I have done and from my own experience, the shape is generally irregular.

All you can do is just chill and wait for the results. Even if it is posotive..its not the end of the word. Its a condition thats easy to live with once you have got your head around it. Just make sure you follow the rules. Dont share towels etc or expose others to it. And when drying your body, always pat dry the infected area last, that way you dont spread the infection to other parts, because it is possible. though it does not happen very often.

Medication.. well i know little about this. From what I have read the treatments available are not very affective. So I prefer just to use the garlic oil myself. It works for me and from what I have read on here its worked for others too.. Try reading through this thread.. [url]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum63/HTML/001591.html[/url]

Hope this helps

Nikki x

Old 03-18-2005, 06:51 AM   #6
(female)

preocupado HB User

Thanks Nikki!I know freaking out doesnīt help, trying to calm myself down. Right now the herpes isnīt really freaking me out anymore that much, itīs the possibility of something worse...To complicate matters Iīm not living at home right now, in a foreign country and running to doctors is confusing and expensive for me. Also there isnīt a supply of vitamins etc. here like in the US for example, so I canīt get my hands on anything more exotic than vitamin C etc..The Acyclovir I took for 10 days did help though, a clear difference. Of course Iīm worried about a new ob now, since people report them back to back. Not sure anymore how completely healthy genitals/anus/butt area is supposed to look or feel like.

All I know by now is that I did recently get this, since no antibodies are still showing. So I have to be tested later to find out the type. Before this all started I had a bad cold which never got better cause I went for vacations and didnīt let myself get better. Iīm very prone to colds and more so in a foreing country with new bacteria etc..But the ob of herpes and various symptoms related or not related to the ob freak me out about the chance of hiv...Didnīt help that the last doctor I saw wanted to test me again for hiv, just a week after my first test (which came back negative but was taken just 6 weeks after possible exposure).

So a lot of things are worrying me right now and not being able to talk to a health care provider in my own country and in my own language isnīt really helping.

So I really appreciate all the answers and support I get from this forum!

Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2005, 07:15 AM   #7

Littleme1969 HB User

Back to back infections can occur.. but it also just as likley to never have another serious outbreak at all. Its worse for women as the menstral cycle seems to bring it on. Where as its more stress related in men.

I get the impression the risk you are talking about is from oral sex and not full intercourse, and is that in a gay or straight relationship?.. i'm not being nosey just it would help. Catching HIV from oral sex is very unlikely. HIV is really hard to catch despite all the hype.It needs an open wound of some kind to get in. The reason gay couples are most likely to get it is due to anal intercourse, its more likley to cause damage and so a way in through the skin. The main reason for the high infection rate in places like africa is due to the men leaving homesteads for work and then sleeping with infected prostitutes time and time again., then bringing it home to their wives and mothers passing it onto their children.

Its a tough one.. but it could be down to something a simple as just being run down and the stressed out situation you are in thats causing all the issues.
I hope you get some anwers sooon and your mind is put at rest.

Nikki x

Old 03-18-2005, 08:09 AM   #8
(female)

preocupado HB User

Hey again!
Well, I am a heterosexual woman. My reasons to worry are two instances in the last two months when I had unprotected sex, with two different partners. Well, unprotected for about 10 seconds at the beginning of intercourse, no excuse, I know, but just to clarify. My herpes ob started 4 days (as far as I know) after I had had extensive oral with a guy. Through all this time, since the end of january, I had a cold that never got better, vacation, no sleep, lots of partying etc..Iīm thinking I got herpes from this last guy, from oral sex, but so far there no way of knowing. Just think it makes more sense, with the cold and generally run down I think my ob would have started earlier if it would have been from any of the other guys.

All this is very confusing in my head now, herpes, other symptoms, swollen lymphs, hiv risk etc. etc.

Thanks for your support!!!

Old 03-18-2005, 09:12 AM   #9

Littleme1969 HB User

Sorry..lol.. for some reason I thought you were a guy.. Strange how you can get the wrong end of the stick
From my experience Type 1 is a very dormant condition. It can be in your sytem for years and not show any signs.. Then all it takes is a major trauma of some kind.. illness/death in the family/stress. anything that puts stress on the body to bring it out.
My husband and I had been together for 6 years before I showed any symtoms, he had cold sores from time to time but we never had oral sex when he had one, but through research i found out you can still transmit the virus even if you dont have a full blown sore .. if you get the tingle but no sore your still at risk. Had I known that it could be transmitted to other parts I would have been more carefull. It took a house move/death in the close family/minor nervous breakdown..lol to bring mine out.
So what I'm saying is it is more than likley type 2.. from what I have read on here that does come out straight away. up to a week after infection, but that does not follow with you getting it from oral sex, you must have got it from the unprotected intercourse. Did you have small blisters or just raised red leasion?.. was there pain or not? It could be that it has been in your system for quite a while and it was the worry of it all that brought it out. Type 1 can rumble on for a long time with just the odd outbreak and your not even aware of it, as there is generally not much pain involved with it.
I would say the HIV risk is very minimal. and as for the glands.. if you've had a prolonged cold etc.. there could be residule infection hanging around that could also be the cause of the sudden onset of the ob. Its only when you're really run down that most people realise they have a problem. That's how it was with me, and I read it time and time again on here.

Looking at the stuff on the net about herpes its not very helpfull at all. Its more likley to scare the crap out of most people than be of any real help. At the end of the day worrying about the problem wont change the outcome!! Ok herpes is not nice..but its not the end of the world by any means. and the rest of the stuff you're worrying about seems just to be panic .. which is totally natural in such a position. I'm sure it wil all sort itself out.

nikki x

Old 03-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
(female)

preocupado HB User

Yes, the internet is my best and worst friend right now ! Put any symptom in a search engine and youīll get hiv as the answer...!

Well, I know for a fact that my herpes infection is very recent. Had a blood test done a week after the symptoms started and it was all negative, for both types. So since no antibodies were found it was recently transmitted and has not been around for a long time. Since I was so run down and had cold or remains of it for a month before the symptoms came, it seems more likely to me that I got it through my last sex encounter. Iīm thinking it would have popped up earlier if the transmission was earlier, cause of my weak condition.

But itīs impossible to know when it was transmitted, all I can do is get retested and try to find out if itīs type 1 or 2.

Iīve read on this board many messages where people say that type 1 has more general symptomas than type 2, that is muscle pain, skin sensations etc.. Go figure, everyone seems to be completely different, you just canīt compare! Iīm generally very prone to react with my body and have had tons of bad yeast infections for years, always as a premenstrual problem. But now itīs at least confirmed they werenīt herpes breakouts, since no antibodies were still found.

I did have blisters in my genitals, but also just the red ichy areas and bumps. These bumps or pimple like spots make me now most confused, like I said, have them on my butt now, but no pain is really involved. Could be though that the Acyclovir I took helped, they never developed further. Still waiting whatīs going to happen, will they become worse now that I stopped my meds or will there be new genital obīs straight off.

Well, to conclude once more, impossible to compare notes, I guess we are all different. I just want to get cleared from hiv and eventually find out what type of herpes I have. Of course Iīm dead scared of new obīs, donīt know how my body will react to this virus.

Thanks so much again Nikki!!!

Old 03-19-2005, 08:54 AM   #11
(female)

irismura HB User

you can get hsv1 genitally through oral sex w/o catching it orally--this happened to my BF. i, on the other hand, get hsv1 orally and genitally from him (and my diagnosis was how HE found out he had it). my first OB occurred in two places--now *that* was a total drag!! however, i have never had cold sores around the outside of my mouth--my first (and only) oral OB happened in the back of my mouth. at first i thought maybe i had strep throat or something (had a couple lesions on the way back of my tongue & above on my soft palate) and a vaginal infection. boy, was that wishful thinking, LOL. anyway, i got quite sick during my OB, with terrible flu-like symptoms: achey muscles, lethargy, and swollen glands in my neck that felt like golf balls (but really weren't that big). i didn't seem to have swollen glands in my groin, even tho i was simultaneously having a gential OB.

during my OB, i talked to some RNs who are actively engaged in HSV research, clinical trials, & the like. they told me that, in future, i won't necessarily have a double-barreled OB; i could have an OB genitally only, or orally only, or possibly both places, who knows. also, from what i've read (which is a lot, since i'm a librarian & have access to tons of scientific databases), the virus settles down & lives dormantly in one of your nerves, near your spine. when you have an OB, the virus travels the path of that nerve to the surface, and your lesions will occur somewhere that the nerve endings reach. what i'm trying to get at is, if your initial OB occurs genitally, the virus that lives in the nerve that leads to the site of your genital outbreak cannot later cause an oral outbreak--the endings of that nerve are in one place only, and they can't move around. to get an oral OB, you would have to wind up with another bit of virus living in the nerve that leads to your mouth, and the virus doesn't "jump" from nerve to nerve once it's in your body. in my case, on the same night i ended up with virus in two places. yay.

it seems the history of my herpes is that my BF got it from his previous lover, who does get cold sores and must've transmitted it to him through oral sex. as far as i know, he has never had any kind of oral lesion. after i was diagnosed, it was kind of apparent to me that my oral lesions were a result of my performing oral sex on him (i.e., i didn't catch it from his mouth).

don't know what to tell you about the pimples on your buttocks. however, the lesions i got in my mouth and my genital area were PAINFUL!

don't know if any of this helps you. just thought i'd share my variety of the hsv story with you.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #12

Littleme1969 HB User

Its different for everone... but one thing I will say is.. just because you have it one area (this is the area of the first infection, it wil always return to that main site) it does not mean you cant infect other parts of your body!!! I must stress that. Ok the virus can not jump with in your body, but it can be spread by the fluid in the blisters being moved around.. i.e. if you wipe your self with a towel, then rub that towel onto another area that has damaged or broken skin, then the infection can enter the body that way. I know it happened to me. My first outbreak was on my inner thighs. that cleared in time and over a 4 year period the outbreaks got less and less untill i had 12 months without a thing. Then after another period of stress it came back twice as bad as i had it the first time, and without realising it I spread it to my armpits, probably from towel drying or washing with soap. But it can be done.. so be on your gaurd!!

Outbreaks vary very much from person to person, in intensity and length. The state of your imune system will determin jut how badly and how often you are effected. That and how your body copes with stress. I guess I must be lucky because despite the initial outbreak, my OBs are never painfull and just tend to be a few small leasions on the inside of my thigh or in my armpit. I have only ever had 2 cold sore on my lip in 5 years and both of these were near my first OB. It seems there is no hard and fast rule for it. You just have to except how it effects you and get on with your life (making sure you dont put others at risk)

I Hope you find some comfort in knowing your not the only one. I know I did!! I can clearly remmember how mortified I was when I found out, having never slept around had a one night stand.. 12 years in the same relationship. It can happen to anyone.. its nothing to be ashamed of, but I myself wouldnt shout it from the roof tops!!! LOL

All the best!!

Nikki x

Closed Thread