It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

CALI_GURL413 HB User
Unhappy Herpes Type 1 Questions...

I Broke Out With A Pimply Rash On My Inner Thighs And Buttocks. I Was Told By My Doctor It Looked Suspicious And She Had Me Tested For Genital Herpes.

Well I Got My Results And I'm Told That I Do Not Have Genital Herpes, But I Did Test Positive For Herpes Above The Waist. That Really Surprised Me, Because I Have Never Had A Lesion Or A Cold Sore Before.

So, Can Anyone Tell Me About Type 1 Herpes. I Read Its Very Common, But Cant Find Much Info On It. Everything I Find Is Related To Genital Herpes.

Is It Contagious Even If There Is No Lesions Or Cold Sores Visable? Any Info Would Help.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
(male)

Champ17 HB User
Re: Herpes Type 1 Questions...

I think you have it all wrong.. You probably did not have cold sores or fever blisters. Herpes type 1 can also be transmitted to the genitals through oral sex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

CALI_GURL413 HB User

So are you saying I have type 1 below the waist? The dr said above the waist and brushed it off saying everone pretty much has it above the waist. She said she was positive rash was not herpes. Now she is saying its folliculitis.
I have an appt with a dermotologist too confirm everything.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

CALI_GURL413 HB User

also i took valtrex for 7 days and nothing happened....

Old 03-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
(male)

Champ17 HB User

Yes the rash you are referring to is more than likely the reason you tested postive. Herpes can show up many ways if at all. Single or Mulitple Pimples and Paper cuts to name a few.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

It sounds like you are talking to an old-fashioned doctor. We don't think in terms of "herpes above the waist" any more as it is perfectly possible to have each type of herpes (1 & 2) on the mouth or genitals (oral type 1 is the most common; then genital type 2; then genital type 1, cases of which are increasing, and finally the relatively rare - but by no means impossible - oral type 2).

If you are testing positive for "herpes above the waist", presumably your doctor means that you have type 1. If they are thinking the way people used to, they may not be considering the possibility that it is type 1 that is causing your genital symptoms. Did you have a blood test? A blood test simply cannot tell you where your herpes is, only the type that you have. You could have type 1 on your genitals if you are testing positive for it, though as oral type 1 is more common, many doctors will assume an oral infection with this virus. However, where there are genital symptoms which are suspicious for herpes, the possibility of a genital infection should be investigated. Were these sores you have swabbed?

Type 1 is indeed very common, studies show (depending on region, social class etc) that probably a minimum of 40% and a maximum of 80% of people have this virus.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
(female)

CALI_GURL413 HB User

Thanks To Both Of You For Responding. Im Starting To Believe That When I Tested For Hsv1, It Must Of Been Genital...

My Doctor Did Give Me A Blood Test, But After Getting The Results, She Said I Was Positive For Hsv1 And Brushed Me Off By Saying Most Adults Have It Above The Waist And Be Happy That Its Not Genital Herpes. I Wanted To Believe It Was Oral And Was Relieved, But After Going Home, I Started To Think She's Wrong.

She Says She's Positive It's Not Genital Herpes, But Folliculitis. She Gave Me A Prescription For That And Sent Me On My Way. I Did Schedule An Appt With A Dermotologist.

What Should I Do Now? Should I Go Back To Her And Let Her Know She Is Wrong? Should I Go Somewhere Else? Im Thinking Planned Parenthood Because They Deal With Std's. All I Know, Is These Pimples Hurt And Are Bothersome. If I Can Take Something To Cut Short The Outbreak, I Wanna Get It. She Gave Me Valtrex For 7 Days. But Now Im Hearing That Was Not Long Enough. Must Not Have Been, Cause It Did Nothing...

Any Advice Would Be Helpful...have A Nice Weekend...

Old 03-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

If you still have the pimples, ask a doctor to swab them and have them cultured for hsv. They can tell you if it is herpes and which type. The dermatoligist might be able to do it for you. If it were me, I wouldn't call the original doc, as he seems to be pretty unaware of some of the herpes basics. why bother with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about? i don't mean that to be rude, but that's what I think.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:40 AM   #9

internet! HB User

yeah unfortunately genital hsv type 1 is sort of a ***** to get diagnosed on blood test alone. most people will test positive for the virus and be asymptomatic.

Im not saying yes you definetly have it, because it could be a million different things, but I would definetly get anything suspicious cultured. Ive suspected thats the case but it hasnt been proven.

Last edited by internet!; 12-25-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

After my episode of getting herpes type 2 diagnosed, i'd get anything suspicious swabbed, asap!!

No disrespect towards your doctor, but in all honesty, i thought my doc was the only stupid one until i started reading these boards. I don't think gp's get proper training, they are maybe given pictures and symptoms for extreme cases of herpes, yet pretty much everyone on these boards has had their own unique and individual experience with herpes.

My doc told me to disregard my ob which was at my anal area. It wasn't a huge ob, itched a bit and stung, a few miniscule blisters and what looked like a small red patch of skin. My doc told me it was from sweat and told me to carry on as per normal. Lucky i went to a sexual health clinic and they did a swab and it came back positive for type 2. See how much some gp's know!! It was upsetting to find out i was positive and even more upsetting to find out i knew more about this than a trained doctor!! Would it truly kill a gp to do a swab???? and perhaps save someone from reinfecting others with this virus???

Not meaning to scare you, but yes, i would go to your planned parenthood clinic and get a swab done before the spots dry up too much. It wont hurt and you will at least know for sure where you stand.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

Quote:
Unfortunately theres no concise way to prove or diagnose that.
Cutlures and polymerase chain reactions (pcr) are consice ways to diagnose, but you have to have active shedding or a fairly new outbreak for these. Also, as I understand it, the Western Blot is concise, though I honestly don't know much about it yet.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #12

internet! HB User

WB is useful and accurate but not bulletproof. Multiple tests would indicate a good result.

Last edited by internet!; 12-25-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:33 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

hhhmmm...I'll ask the ID doc what he thinks next time we talk. Or maybe Dr. Stanberry if I get around to it. Like I said, I don't know much about it. I had an IgM and IgG, but it was really pointless at the time. We KNEW I would be positive for a recent infection since I had spent the previous 6 weeks caring for infants with hsv1. And they had cultures and PCRs, so I've never had much reason to learn much about the WB so far. Thanks for the input (even though it wasn't my original post!)!

Closed Thread