It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
(male)

STUDLY352 HB User
oral hsv2

anyone here have oral HSV2 as well? outbreaks?

Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
(male)

STUDLY352 HB User
Re: oral hsv2

what i mean is has anyone had first ever cold sores on the mouth primarily or continuously after they were diagnosed with genital hsv2?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
(male)

STUDLY352 HB User

i had a significant genital breakout as well as a few tiny blisters around myh mouth that i can never remember having any? is this normal? does it sound like type 1 or 2?

Old 03-19-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

I'm sorry no one is answering you--it's true that I've heard a lot of people saying they have type 1 genitally (got it from oral sex) but no one with type 2 orally. If you don't know what type you have, you can get a sore swabbed. You could try getting two cultures done, one genitally and one orally. If the sores are too well healed for a culture, you could get a blood test done if it has been several months since you contracted h. Then they could tell what type you have, but not where your ob's will be. Nobody can tell what type of herpes you have without a swab or blood test, since both types can occur pretty much anywhere on the body.

Last edited by backpacker; 03-19-2005 at 07:37 PM.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

I think the difficulty is that oral type 2 is not very common. A lot of oral problems turn out to be type 1 in the end. Type 2 just doesn't seem to take to the mouth the way type 1 takes to the genitals. There do seem to be a lot of people who have type 1 genitally but I have only read of one person having confirmed type 2 orally.

Blisters around the mouth sounds a lot like type 1 simply because oral type 2 is pretty rare and oral type 1 pretty common. However, as backpacker says, the only way to know which type you have on your mouth is to get the sores swabbed soon after they appear (within 1-2 days). If you do have type 2 orally though, you will be unlikely to get any further outbreaks, so it may not be possible to swab any further sores which appear.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:23 PM   #6
(male)

STUDLY352 HB User
Cool Re: oral hsv2

thanx backpacker. ive read a lot of your posts and youre very educated and open about things. i guess im hoping its one after an outbreak on my face 1 & 1/2 months after primary i guess maybe it could be one. they are not the classic fever blisters though. they are smaller and on my nose and on my mouth. i know the that the female who still claims shes never even had a tingle down below has had cold sores orally, but not for a few years. just waiting for the test results. thanx

Old 03-19-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
(male)

STUDLY352 HB User

i had genital primary 6 weeks ago with a small crack on mouth lip. im a male. had 1 large and one small blister on shaft. skin peeled off, too. pretty rough in the beginning. thought for sure hsv2. now i have outbreak on mouth and nose with tingles. could it be 1 after unprotected oral AND unprotected sex, i think statistically not. girl has had cold sores in the past. still claims shes never even had a tingle sown there. get test results next week. thanx beak & BP. let u know.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #8

internet! HB User

you probably got genital from a bj and since the same mouth was used for kissing, you might have it orally, too.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Well statisticall, it's quite a lot more likely that you have either:

genital HSV2 & oral HSV1

or

oral & genital HSV1

rather than oral & genital HSV2 - although it is not impossible that you do.

It may be that you have type 1 in both places, although you had unprotected intercourse you could have got genital type 1 from the oral sex. The initial OB of type 1 genitally can be just as bad as the inital for type 2 - my initial OB for type 1 was awful, although I have had few problems since.

Last edited by beaker24; 03-20-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #10

auguste HB User

i was diagnosed with H2 and have had it only orally lots of blisters all over my mouth for three weeks right away after diagnosis, never had such a thing before. I have some pain in my vagina, but not much. only beginning to calm down, but truly exhausted.
my doc was confused and I am not sure what she knows about herpes she took a test again after seeing my mouth and it still came back neg for herpes 1 and positive for herpes 2. i have had no outbreaks on my genitals

Old 03-21-2005, 08:10 AM   #11
(male)

STUDLY352 HB User

do you think its possible that maybe i autoinnoculated myself to the mouth after 5 weeks of HSV2 GH? ive heard that hsv2 oral recurrences are very rare. im still having problems downstairs and it doesn't really sound like 1, thats all.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUDLY352
do you think its possible that maybe i autoinnoculated myself to the mouth after 5 weeks of HSV2 GH? ive heard that hsv2 oral recurrences are very rare. im still having problems downstairs and it doesn't really sound like 1, thats all.
It is possible, but it's more likely that you in fact either have type 1 in both places (and type 1 can be very bad downstairs, let me tell you! My first OB was..... aarrrrgh!!! Horribly painful, and awful) or have have both viruses i.e.- type 1 on your mouth and type 2 on your genitals.

You say that this girl has had cold sores in the past - I would lay good money that the problems on your mouth are type 1. Type 2 oral reoccurrences should indeed be very rare, but sometimes this virus won't behave the way the textbooks tell it to! Having said that, I have read a lot about the increasing genital type 1 but very little about oral type 2. Type 1 just loves the mouth a lot more than type 2 does. Not in all people, but if someone has a cold sore on their mouth there's more than a 90% chance it's caused by type 1.

auguste - that's interesting. Type 2 reoccurrences are rare but type 2 initial OBs have been documented.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:35 AM   #13

auguste HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker24
auguste - that's interesting. Type 2 reoccurrences are rare but type 2 initial OBs have been documented.
Thanks Beaker24 so maybe as this is my first ob, the recurrences will only happen in my genitals?
Is that right?

Old 03-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auguste
Thanks Beaker24 so maybe as this is my first ob, the recurrences will only happen in my genitals?
Is that right?
If you do have oral HSV2 it would apparently be VERY unusual for it to come back. Reoccurrences mostly happen in immune-compromised patients (with HIV, for example). I have read of only a couple of being having confirmed oral type 2 and neither had any outbreaks beyond the first.

So: no more outbreaks if oral HSV2 is not guaranteed, but would be very very likely to be the case.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #15
(male)

STUDLY352 HB User

my test results came back. HERPES AND HIV NEGATIVE. Herpes tests was does with a swab on some red skin at a latter stage of the genital breakout however. Thnk god for the HIV! I still think that I have have herpes as my face and genitals still are breaking out. I went golfing yesterday and my nose and forehead started peeling off and I got two miniscule blisters on my cheek right under my eye. I think that oral HSV2 wouldn't recurr like it has been if it even shouldve recurred at all. The lovely young lady who gave this is getting her blood results in today or tomorrow. She admits to having cold sores constantly on her mouth up until she graduated high school. She is now 23 and has not noticed any breakouts for a while. I think that it COULD be HSV1, if it were then I would feel like I cheated the devil and this would be a life-changing, attitude changing, learning experience. Thanx for the help as i have found most of my anwers on this very board. Ill let you know the results of our blood tests.

Closed Thread