It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

littlebo HB User
Anyone had this problem?

Sorry to bring this one up again, but I was curious to get info from those who have experienced herpes obs on other areas of their body besides the genitals or mouth. I know I have gh. I've had ezcema on my fingers longer that i've had gh. That involves the skin on my fingers getting so dry it peels and even cracks open sometimes (worse in the winter time). How would I know or could I know if I transfer my genital herpes to my skin in this area?

I'm having a flare up right now of my eczema and it looks like it always has in the past (dry skin that peels a little and a couple of places have gotten so dry they have a small crack in the skin which hurts). No pain elsewhere. It doesn't itch either. I treat my eczema with a steroid ointment a dermatologist gave me a while back or really moisturizing lotions (which I put on at night and then sleep with cotton gloves on). This is helping.

I'm mindful not to touch my genital area during ob with my affected fingers if they are really dry/peeling. If I do touch down there, I wash my hands immediately with soap and water.

I was just curious what others have experienced; particulary if they spread it to their hands? and how they deal with that. I've read some articles that make you think gh prefers the genitals, but I guess with this virus there are no guarantees....what do ya'll think?

thanks again as always for listening and for any responses offered!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: Anyone had this problem?

Herpes outbreaks in rare cases occur on the hands or fingers, and are sometimes referred to as "herpetic whitlow" when on the fingers. The skin of the hands and fingers is quite thick and not a natural home for herpes the way the mucous membranes of the mouth and genitals and the slightly less thick surrounding (face and genital area) are. However, infections can sometimes occur to any part of the body when there is an open cut or sore or other break in the skin there. As a person will sometimes touch a sore with their hands, their hands can be the place a herpes outbreak appears.

In theory, once a person has an established herpes infection (i.e. an infection which has been around for a while), they have developed antibodies which should prevent them transferring the virus to another part of their body. However, this supposed established fact has not been the case for many posters on this board and for others I have read about, who have strong reason to believe that they have reinfected themselves in a different area (I myself had oral type 1 for years and then got genital type 1 from a cold sore. That's not a self re-infection case but it does tend to lend the lie to the idea my antibodies to the same type of herpes would guarantee protection from reinfection elsewhere - especially when there is contact with a sore and not just asymptomatic shedding).

It's my opinion - perhaps others disagree? - that if you had reinfected yourself with herpes on the hands you would probably see it manifest itself as an outbreak. Although very mild outbreaks can occur on the genitals & mouth which are mistaken for other things, I think you would probably be seeing a difference from just the basic eczema on the hands (which I also get but it sounds not as seriously as you - you poor thing, ouch!!).

I think if it did spread to your hands, the statistics (not always reliable, but still!) indicate that it would be unlikely to recur and there would probably be no significant asymptomatic shedding. Whilst herpes can infect any part of the body where there are cuts etc, I don't think it is often very successful in making a home in such places, as compared with the mouth and genitals and the nerves of these areas.

Last edited by beaker24; 03-22-2005 at 12:28 PM.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

littlebo HB User

Thank you (once again), Beaker24. You and backpacker are so helpful; a great source of information. I am so glad I found this board, because I have no one to really talk to about this.

When I call my gyn, they try to answer my questions as best they can. But, I feel sometimes that they take a blase (spell check) attitude toward me. They're always like, "don't worry about it" or "its really more common than you think". (Easy for them to say, they don't have it!)

When they diagnosed me 4 years ago, I was with the person who gave it to me. I didn't ask alot of questions of my doc at that time, because of that situation. I thought I'd be with my ex forever (we were married at the time), but my ex thought differently. Wish he'd thought to tell me he had gh!!!

Now that I'm in a new relationship with someone who doesn't have it, but he's willing to be with me anyway...I want to do everything I can to protect him and knowledge is the best protection!

Sorry for going on, but it's just nice to know I can share this with others and talk about my concerns! Thanks again!!! And God bless everyone!

Last edited by littlebo; 03-22-2005 at 12:17 PM.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
(female)

nativegirl HB User

I am hoping that someone would be able to help me. I was diagnosed about 5-6 yrs ago with herpes type1 on my face. I used to get a beakout on my lip and now it can be on my lip or my chin. I don't know what to do because I am on my fourth breackout this month. I recently started eating healthy, working out and just trying to do the right thing after I got the first breakout earlier this month. I am so depressed right now and have thought about suicide. I am in a new relationship and have also recently told him about my herpes and he has lots of questions. I am answering them but I know he is scared. He doesn't know anything about it and doesn't know of anybody that has it untill me. He is still interested because we are still seeing eachother and we continue to have protected sex. I have asked him how he feels and where he "stands" and he says untill he has all the facts he doesn't know where he "stands". I am so scared of rejection and living right now is such a depression that all I can do is cry. I missed work again today and I can't keep calling in. I have tried EVERYTHING AND NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP ME. PLEASE HELP...

Thanks,

Old 03-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

First off: I want to reassure you that the simple fact you have herpes type 1 on your face is NOT a big deal. Between 40 to 80% of people have it. I have it, my mum, dad and sister all have it. My ex-girlfriend had it. My current girlfriend has it (neither of them contracted it from me). My sister and my ex-girlfriend don't get any outbreaks. My dad gets them once every few years. I get about one a year. And my mum unfortunately gets anything up to four a month although usually it's only one. Just one of those things!

You don't need to miss work, just go in and if anyone says anything, just ignore them! I used to go into school with sores on my lips, I have been into work with a cold sore, it's just one of those things. Most people won't mention it.

Ok, so the problem here is that you are having these recurrent outbreaks. Worrying about the herpes and getting depressed about it are not helping your body fight the virus. Of course it is easily said, but take it from someone who has had this for about twenty years (i.e. since I was a kid): it's OK! Make sure you are getting enough sleep, are eating properly (healthy, well-balanced diet) - take some vitamins if you aren't getting the right vitamins and minerals. Have you tried anything on the sores to heal them more quickly?

I know you are depressed about your herpes status but type 1 especially is VERY common, although most of those with the virus don't get outbreaks (there's a 40% chance your boyfriend has it, although he may well not know that he does).

Last edited by beaker24; 03-23-2005 at 12:03 PM.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
(female)

nativegirl HB User
Wink Re: Anyone had this problem?

Thanks for the words on encouragement. I am feeling a lot better today about the whole situation. I went to work and stayed in a good mood all day. I did start some really good vitamins from my gym and I have been eating really healthy the last couple of months. I know that stress is my problem and coming for a very negative and dysfunctional family doesn't help. I am in ACA and have put a hold on dealing with my family. I also have been working out a lot and just started going to this meditation class on Saturdays at my gym. It is hard to lower your stress when you work two jobs and I plan on starting fulltime school soon. Anyway I thank you and hope you have a great night!

Closed Thread