It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User
Question about oral hsv presentation...

Well, my son's cheeks are looking better. They look rashy, but the ulcer-looking spots are healed. But today I noticed a blister inside his mouth on the side of his gums. It's very small and white and he squirms and fusses when I touch it, but that could just be b/c I'm aggravating him.

i called the pedi and left a mssg for the nurse, but it was some woman we have never seen before. I wanted to know if it needed to be seen, because it looks to me to be too small to culture. But in the past they've gotten saliva cultures, so I needed to know if it was worth the copay or not. If it's just one of those things babies get, then I wasn't worried about it and would prefer to just watch it. But if it sounds like it could be herpes related then I want it seen (we get every ob seen until he is at least 6 mo old, probably until 7.5 b/c he was premature). She said it sounded like thrush, but I know thrush and this is NOT thrush. Plus, I am breastfeeding, so it is not very likely that they would have thrush without me being very aware of it!

Well, she just wanted me to come in and our regular pedi was out of the office for the rest of the week so she couldn't talk to him about it. Aargh! He has handled their herpes extremely well and I would really like to know from him if it's worth the trip. I scheduled an appt for Thurs (my other baby has a plastic surgery appt tomorrow so I couldn't sched for tomorrow), but I am thinking I may cancel it if it stays the same or goes away.

Technically, his isn't considered oral herpes, but I don't know exactly what they would call it now. Just HSV-1 maybe? He has never had lesions in his mouth before and the lesions he had on his skin presented in SO many different ways (pitted vescicles, blisters, ulcers, yellowing oozing skin, etc...) so I am not sure what to look for. His infectious disease pedi did say that when his lesions recurr, they will show in their previous sites or in/around the mouth and hands.

Okay...so after ALL that...I am wondering if anyone has experience with herpes inside their mouth or their kids' mouths? What do you think it would look like? Could it be a blister? I wish he could stay on suppressive therapy without those stinking white cells dropping...argh!

TIA!!!

Last edited by hsvmom; 03-22-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User
Re: Question about oral hsv presentation...

no experiences, eh? well it was worth a shot!

Old 03-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Does he perhaps have a canker sore or mouth ulcer? I used to get them ALL THE TIME as a kid, particularly when teething!

Old 03-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

it doesnt look like a sore or ulcer. it's a definate blister in the back. his twin is cutting a tooth, so i suspect he is teething also. but teething shouldnt cause blisters, should it?!

Old 03-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

It shouldn't cause blisters. It might cause ulcers or other sores. I used to get them from braces on my teeth as well.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

well, thanks. i cancelled his appt for tomorrow since it hasnt changed and the pedi that has always managed his herpes is out anyhow. for now i guess i'll just chalk it up as one of those baby kinda things!

Closed Thread