It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

windinmyhair HB User
how do you handle the sun?

I've heard it said that exposure to sunlight can bring on an ob. I know mine got a little worse when I was out in the sun. Aside from covering up with clothes and a hat, does wearing SPF 50 sunblock help at all?

Hey backpacker! What do you do about this when you're outdoors?

Old 03-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
(male)

new_to_this HB User
Re: how do you handle the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windinmyhair
I've heard it said that exposure to sunlight can bring on an ob. I know mine got a little worse when I was out in the sun. Aside from covering up with clothes and a hat, does wearing SPF 50 sunblock help at all?
Sunblock should definitely help. The higher the SPF, the better. Aside from that, there really isn't much you can do other than not go outside at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

Glad you asked this question! I tend to keep my boys covered for the time being since they are still a tad young for sunscreen. I will definately lather them up with the stuff for health's sake as soon as they hit 6 months anyway, but I am also interested to know if it would help prevent his obs at all. My guess would be no, but I hope I am guessing wrong!

I do know that as far as SPF goes, it has more to do with timing than protection. My doc explained that with SPF 15 you can stay outdoors 15x longer than without sunblock without getting damaged. With SPF 30, it's 30x longer. How long you can stay out depends on your style of dress, weather conditions, and your skin pigmentation. So you may not need SPF 50 depending on your activities. At least, that's how it was explained to me! I ALWAYS wear sunscreen! It's just a good habit.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

I have been using a tanning bed the past couple weeks (only gone a few times) and i havent had an OB not since my primary <<knocks on wood>>

Old 03-22-2005, 10:40 PM   #5
(female)

FitChic HB User

i've used a tanning bed plenty of times since my first outbreak..........so far so good!............

Old 03-23-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
(male)

Stillhope1 HB User

I am in the sun all the time. I do not beleive it brings them on. Stress is the only thing I have seen. Diet, spicy food none of that seems to effect me either. Every person is different, you will have to try and find out.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

renessa14 HB User

One good thing about going to the beach is that the saltwater is good for it. So that is fun to consider too!!!

I have been going to the tanning bed for years, but haven't tried it yet since I contracted herpes in October. One thing about being a FL girl is that you need to be tan at all times in the year, but now that I moved back up north a few months back, If my legs are white, no one notices.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
(female)

Julia_dances HB User

I'm new to this, so please excuse my ignorance... how does sun affect people with herpes? Is it a danger for exposed skin... like cold sores on mouths appear... or herpes anywhere appears? Is it a danger for an OB to occur in the genital area, due to heat?

Old 03-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #9
(female)

renessa14 HB User

No question is an ignorant one, that is how we learn things.

Over exposure to sunlight, stress, being over tired, certain foods, your menstrual cycle, yada yada yada (depending on when it wants to just poke it's ugly little head out) can trigger an outbreak. Everyone is different with how they react and get OBs though. It stinks to have to learn all of this new stuff, but at least we have a great little support group with this site.

Hope this helps a little.

Closed Thread