It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

preocupado HB User
Ladies, how do you wash yourselfs?

Hi all!
I have a question for the women: how do you wash yourselves? Do you use a soap of some kind or just water? Wash cloth or something?

Iīm just finishing my first ob or could be having a second one, not sure. Since my first ob started I havenīt touched my genitals showering, just tried to get enough water down there to keep the area clean. Iīm sort of scared to go down there with my hands and fingers and cause some damage. But I feel like Iīm not getting completely clean. In graphical terms, Iīm having a yeast infection right now too and the discharge doesnīt really come off unless I "scrub" my genital area or the area with pubic hair. The stuff can stick pretty hard, yack!

So should one be careful in the shower not to touch the genitals or can one wash with a little help from hands and fingers? Obviously not scrubbing blisters!

Also, does anyone use a cream or something to keep the genital skin healthy? Something to keep other kinds of iches from occuring?

Iīm new to this and still donīt know if my ob is gone or not. I really have no clue these days what a healthy genital area is supposed to look like! I mean, there are always some bumps down there and the skin is never an even color. So what is what, still trying to figure out! My yeast infections have always been real bad, always before my period, so Iīm not sure what is what now.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: Ladies, how do you wash yourselfs?

I just use soap. One thing I have found since the H is that the whole area is a bit more sensitive, although it has been improving. So, I have had to stop using any kind of scented bath oils, shower gel etc and just use a plain, unscented soap.

If you are concerned about touching your genitals, I find a good long soak in the bath helps to dislodge the discharge... sorry if that is too much information!!

Old 03-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
(female)

preocupado HB User

Thanks and no, thatīs not too much info . I donīt have a bath tub right now and the annoying part is that the shower head is fixed, so thereīs no way of getting a good amount of water down there. You should see some of the positions I twist myself into to get enough water to my genital area . Iīve also used one of those spray bottles that you use for ironing or watering your plants (makes me laugh just writing this!). But it doensīt really do the trick completely, but helps a bit.

Also havenīt shaved for a while, wondering when I can start doing that again. No brazilian but definitely trimming.

I just want to find out a good rutine to keep myself clean and cut down the posibilities for herpes obīs and yeast infections.

Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
(female)

CALI_GURL413 HB User

Im glad you asked this question, because I have been wondering the same thing. I have a pimply rash, no open lesions. But Im so scared of getting other parts of my skin infected, I have not touched my inner tighs or any area that has pimples with my hands in weeks. I do use a loofah with soap and clean my vagina, but thats it. Not sure if thats good or not...

Anyways, I dont mean to butt in on your posting, but was wondering if its still contagious to touch the areas even after lesions and/or pimples are gone? I have heard about shedding and wonder if I will always after to worry about touching my skin even if there isnt anything there. I have a son who I'm worried about. I dont share towels, blankets, glasses, or anything anymore...

Also I wanna know about trimming pubic hair too. Since my first ob, I havent done much to my area cause Im worried too. Maybe Im being to paranoid, but Im clueless about everything and its all new......

Old 03-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

I use plain soap and water. I've never had an outbreak, but we know that I shed since my babies contracted herpes. The likelyhood of reinfecting yourself is pretty slim (although the chances ARE higher during a primary ob, but still slim). If you have a yeast infection, you should avoid the soap altogether, though. Soap will kill off the bacteria that needs to re-establish itself in your uro-genital tract. So it will allow the yeast to thrive even more. And, though I realize this is unsolicited advice, if you are having yeast infections monthly you should talk to your ob. That can be a sign of other problems.

Your spray bottle is a good idea, but it doesn't sound like it's doing the trick for you. I would try a different type of bottle. Look for one with a nozzle like the nozzle on dish washing soap. The kind you pull up to open and snap down to close. The hospitals give this style bottle to moms after vaginal deliveries to keep epesiotomy repairs clean. That will give you more control over the water. you can also take it to the restroom with you when you pee, to keep the discharge from building up in the first place.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
(female)

preocupado HB User

Hi!
Iīm wondering too when itīs okay to touch yourself properly in the genital area. Obviously I wash my hands if I do, but I mean for the cleaning part, can I touch myself safely in the shower? I also donīt use a towel to dry my privates, been using toiletpaper to dab off exess water and then I just let it air dry.

But I donīt want to get oo hysterical with this either, so any good advice is wellcome!

Old 03-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #7

kierstyn_04 HB User

I just use Lever 2000 antibacterial, I personally feel like it helps mine clear up faster, it kinda dries things out and it doesnt sting. I dont know about all these precautions, I wash, using my hands etc and before I get out, I wash my hands . . thats it.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
(female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User

Hi.

I agree with the last post. Don't be afraid to touch your own body. I also agree that the chances of re-infecting yourself are so low, you shouldn't even worry about that. It might feel unpleasant at first, especially if you have open sores or cuts. But it's important to really clean the area, don't leave anything there that should be gotten rid of.

I've used all natural soap for a long time now. I just feel better knowing I'm not putting man-made chemicals and carcinogenic fake-fragrances right next to my genitals, or the rest of my skin for that matter. They are ultra-mild, but still do a wonderful job of being a "soap."

Old 03-23-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

renessa14 HB User

For the lady with the shower only....I might suggest a sitz bath. I went and purchased one from the local drug store and it was like $12. If you use salt water it helps to dry it out a little better. My problem is that I just get so bored sitting in the tub or doing a sitz bath. I need a waterproof hobby!!

I use Neutrogena soap down there. I was having crazy yeast infections before this and found I cannot use any kind of soap down there at all. I have been cleaning the outside area just fine with Neutrogena with no problem.

I was doing really good until this past week. Just had 2 normal sores during a regular OB, but this last time while shedding, I guess I cleaned a little too hard down there and have the most painful new sore on my ****. I hope and pray this is the only time this will happen, but my instincts tell me otherwise.

Good luck. I must say you have found the best community on here for help.

Last edited by renessa14; 03-23-2005 at 07:39 PM.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:07 AM   #10

Lime22 HB User

Hi there,
Don't be afraid to wash with your hands. I wash mine with my bodywash and do that with my hands. I have never had any type of reinfecting on any other parts of my body because of it. You also asked about shaving....well I still shave and get by just fine, I have even shaved mine all the way off several times, it doesnt seem to effect the herpes or cause an outbreak. I just use the bikinizone gel after i shave to prevent shave bumps. So in other words I still wash myself the same and shave the same as I did before I had herpes. Don't worry, I was scared about those things at first too....but its been almost two years now since I got it. So my advice is just wash like you used too, it might be a little sore at first since this is your primary but i think you will find that it will get easier and that you will get used to it. It is better to be clean anyway. And dont worry you can still shave too, I do. Good Luck to you.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:16 AM   #11
(female)

preocupado HB User

Ladies!
Thank you so much for your answers! This community is trully wonderful! All these questions get answered here, experiences etc.. I canīt get these kinds of answers at a doctors office, they just donīt have the time or the knowledge to help. And obviously I canīt run to the doc everytime I have a question.

Iīm just getting to know my genital area again, little by little. I guess it takes time to know whatīs normal down there and what might not be. Very confusing still. Like I said, hard to tell a yeast infection and irritated skin from a herpes ob. Iīve always checked, on a regular basis, myself with a mirror but now Iīm not sure anymore what is normal skin color, a normal bump etc..Perhaps that will come with time. I just donīt want to be guessing forever and be afraid of engaging in any "activities" because I donīt know if I have an ob or not.

But thanks again all !

Old 03-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #12
(female)

Berkshiregirl HB User

I was so scared to touch down there during my first ob, but the fact is taking a bath helped me personally so much, but since you can't do that I would recommend using an empty douche type bottle. As for the yeast infection, I don't know if anyother ladies use this but its called "Diflucan" not sure on the spelling but you get the idea, I got it from the doctor and it only takes like a day to kick in, it really works. Also I used epson salt in my bath maybe try that in your bottle?

Old 03-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

yes, it's diflucan and it works really well. It's a single pill that you take, instead of days worth of applicators and creams and funky stuff like that!

Old 03-25-2005, 08:28 PM   #14
Inactive

MarifromPR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvmom
yes, it's diflucan and it works really well. It's a single pill that you take, instead of days worth of applicators and creams and funky stuff like that!
This post makes me smile since I worked testing diflucan tablets for several years. Wonder of the many people that had taken the tablets I analyzed. I enjoyed working for Pfizer

Closed Thread