It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
(male)

mranxiety HB User
HSV 1 - Sometimes Negative .. Sometimes Positive

I have been repeatedly tested for HSV 1 and HSV 2 (blood test).

Most times both tests are NEGATIVE.

On two ocassions, HSV 1 tests have come back POSITIVE. On one ocassion I was asked if I had a cold sore... the answer was yes. The doctor explained that's why I tested positive?

I don't get it. Do I have HSV 1 or dont' I?

Help me understand this.

Thanks,

Mr. Anxiety

Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Re: HSV 1 - Sometimes Negative .. Sometimes Positive

If you have ever had a cold sore then you have hsv-1. About 80 percent of the population has it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
(female)

CALI_GURL413 HB User
Angry Re: HSV 1 - Sometimes Negative .. Sometimes Positive

I know how you feel. This has got to be one of the most frustrating things I have gone through. First Im told my pimply rash on my inner tighs is suspicious looking and Im tested for herpes. Test comes back positive for hsv1, but doctor tells me that thats herpes above the waist and the rash is not genital herpes, but follicilitis. Im still concerned, because after reading stuff on the internet, you can have hsv1 down below. Plus I have never had a cold sore or any type of sore in my mouth or around it.

So I see a dermo for a second opinion. He tells me that my test did come back positive for hsv1 and typically it is in the mouth region and the test shows that I didnt just get it, but could of been months or even years...He said that up to 80% of adults have it and that you can get it from sharing cups, kissing, etc. Half get it when their babies or young children and the rest get it by adulthood.

He looked at my rash and said that it was not herpes, but Folliculitis. He said the rash would be more clumped together, not a pimple here or there. But after reading peoples symptoms, Im still concerned. I just dont know...
I have had this rash for 6 weeks now. It slowly beginning to go away, but its still there. I guess I will just wait to see if I have another outbreak again to try and make the diagnosis on my own. But with HSV1, I have read people sometimes have one outbreak and never again or sometimes go years without one. Who knows.

But anyways, I feel your frustration and anxiety. Not knowing is what kills me...

Old 03-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: HSV 1 - Sometimes Negative .. Sometimes Positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by besafe20
If you have ever had a cold sore then you have hsv-1. About 80 percent of the population has it.
Exactly. If you have indeed had a cold sore (and not any other kind of problem on your mouth), then you do have HSV1 and anything between 40-80% of the population has it.

Closed Thread