HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Herpes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/)
-   -   Anyone have more than one outbreak with genital hsv-1? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/268700-anyone-have-more-than-one-outbreak-genital-hsv-1-a.html)

besafe20 03-30-2005 09:55 AM

Anyone have more than one outbreak with genital hsv-1?

I got genital hsv-1 four years ago. I had one sore that went away with medicine and it has never come back since then. I think the reason I got it at all was because I had never had hsv-1 before not a cold sore in my life. So I guess when I had oral sex it was easy for me to catch. Is it true that if you already have hsv-1 (mouth cold sores) you cant get it down south? Also I heard if you have hsv-1 genitally you cannot transmit it to another during intercourse. (because it is out of its domain.) anyone know???

beaker24 03-30-2005 11:46 AM

Re: Anyone have more than one outbreak with genital hsv-1?

Besafe,

I have genital HSV1 and got three outbreaks close together when I first contracted it, but nothing since (that was eighteen months ago). As the above poster says, yes you can pass it genitally to genitally although this should be rarer than passing it from the mouth to the genitals.

Previous HSV1 infections may protect you up to a point, but not 100%. I know because I have had oral herpes since I was a child, and I still got it genitally. I was ill at the time (although I didn't know it until later....) and also I was exposed to an ACTIVE sore. Had it just been asymptomatic shedding (a lower level of the virus than an active sore), my antibodies may well have protected me. I knew active sores were dangerous but I had oral sex with someone when I was kind of drunk and I didn't notice the sore etc, nothing to be proud of I know but there you are!

Your experience of no OBs after the first one is very common with genital HSV1,. 70% of people have the same experience, as do most people with oral HSV1.

besafe20 03-30-2005 07:13 PM

thanks for the reply. My husband has had oral hsv-1 since he was a kid and gets outbreaks every year. As for the person who gave me hsv-1 he had the oral herpes since he was a little kid and gets outbreaks frequently as well. He gave me this through one episode of oral and we never had sex. He was a virign also.. Funny how a virgin can give you an STD.

irismura 04-01-2005 05:09 AM

hi-- just wanted to say that this weeki *did* just have my second genital hsv1 outbreak (first one after almost three months) and it was nowhere nearly as bad as my initial ob. i had two bumps that were painful for about a day, & then a few days of general itchiness. it all started monday, i think, & seems to be over today (friday). i felt so terrible during my first ob that i was was worried that future ob's would feel just as bad. what a relief to basically okay, but having a H ob.

besafe20 04-01-2005 09:52 AM

hopefully your outbreaks end for good so that you may live a normla life. All I had was a shallow ulcer type sore right where my urethra is. OMG it hurt so bad when I went to the bathroom I could have died. I never had bumps or sores anywhere else. After taking medication it went away and thank goodness never came back. It feels like I have nothing at all since its been 4 years. My husband is having a major outbreak of cold sores on his lip right now and It brings back memories! He has had it since he was a little kid probably from people kissing him as a child. I am kinda glad I dont have to deal with the oral herpes because it looks gross and they seem to pop up a lot with people I know.

snickers443 07-15-2005 11:21 AM

is it suppose 2 not come back normally? bcause i heard that it shouldnt because it does not like to live below the waist?! thanks for the information

ohknow42 07-15-2005 01:39 PM

HSV1 and HSV2 can both be transmitted from/to genitals and orally. HSV1 prefers the oral, HSV2 perfers genitals... and both tend to be more serious, and having more frequent outbreaks in the area they prefer.

From everything ive read there doesnt seem to be a standard about much of anything with the way herpes behaves... The initial OB of HSV1 genitally seems to be about the same as an initial ob with HSV2, but since it doesnt favor the area, it often doesnt return, or returns less frequently and more mildly.

Is it 100% that you wont have it again if you get HSV1 genitally, no... can you give it to others genitally? yes.

Heres some stats ive compiled from across the web...

75% of the population has HSV1 orally, about 25% have genital herpes of some kind. 90% of those infected never have symptoms at all. HSV isnt normally tested for in normal STD screens, so there are alot of people out there who think they are STD free that arent.

Now, if you have it... you can give it to others by skin-to-skin contact during an outbreak or while the virus is sheading without symptoms. You have no way of knowing when someone is sheading. If you have genital herpes you can shead the virus anywhere in your boxer shorts area... so a condom is not 100% effective in stopping transmission. HSV1 sheads about 3% (11 days) of the year, while HSV2 sheads about 11% (40 days) of the year. If someone already has HSV1 orally they are less likely to get it genitally, but they can still get it.

So, overall HSV1 genitally is better than HSV2, its typically more mild, occurs less often, and has less chance of transmission... but its still herpes and can be given to others and can be a royal pain in your privates.

Its also important to remember a couple other things about transmission... someone can get it orrally from you by performing oral sex on an infected person, even when no symptoms are present. You can also translocate the virus to other areas of your body via your hands, so its important to wash your hands to avoid these situations...

Touching an infected area then rubbing your eye can result in occular herpes, which can damage your cornea and even cause blindness.

Some people will get herpes on their fingers, its referred to as herpes witlow but its just HSV on your fingers.

Its also possible to give yourself or others HSV1 if you have it orrally by using your saliva as a lubricant for masturbation or sex. I talked to a guy that gave himself genital herpes by doing this when he had a cold sore... thats gotta sting.

Myself I got HSV1 genitally from recieving Oral from someone who had been recently tested for stds, just not herpes... and even if she had tested positive for oral HSV1... I doubt they would have said it was a problem since 75% of the population falls into that category. Im still in my initial outbreak 37 days and counting... never had a blister, just an irritated area that burns/itchs and feels like a paper cut. been on valtrex for about 8 days and feeling better but still not over this vile crap.

irismura 07-16-2005 06:19 PM

i had my first HSV1 ob in january, orally & genitally at the same time (i had never had a cold sore in my life, either). so, yes, you can catch HSV1 through genital-to-genital contact as well as, in my case, oral-to-genital, and my BF had no lesions or symptoms at all. i had a very mild second ob in the spring, and nothing since. for the first month or so, herpes was constantly on my mind. now i don't think about it very much at all.

ohknow42 07-16-2005 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=irismura]i had my first HSV1 ob in january, orally & genitally at the same time (i had never had a cold sore in my life, either). so, yes, you can catch HSV1 through genital-to-genital contact as well as, in my case, oral-to-genital, and my BF had no lesions or symptoms at all. i had a very mild second ob in the spring, and nothing since. for the first month or so, herpes was constantly on my mind. now i don't think about it very much at all.[/QUOTE]

How long was your first OB? Mine seems to be going on forever.

irismura 07-17-2005 06:41 AM

my first OB started on a monday-tuesday. i went to the doctor on thursday, and started taking valtrex on thursday. during that time i felt progressively more flu-like, especially that weekend following my doctor's appt. i had 3-4 lesions in my back of my mouth and 3-4 in my genital area. i felt extremely lethargic, had aches & pains, & got swollen glands in my neck that felt like golf balls--in short, i felt like death warmed over. after a few days on valtrex my lesions started to go away, but i still felt unwell & flu-like for around another week. i think it was after about two weeks that i finally started to feel back to normal.

snickers443 07-17-2005 12:24 PM

ok but my doc. told me that in most cases hsv-1 genitally doesnt come back but maybe a few times. bcus it does not like to live below the waist!

COMMENTS?

ohknow42 07-17-2005 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=snickers443]ok but my doc. told me that in most cases hsv-1 genitally doesnt come back but maybe a few times. bcus it does not like to live below the waist!

COMMENTS?[/QUOTE]

True statement that HSV1 doesnt like down south... so it typically is less severe and recurrs less often. But theres no set time when it will recur... 90% never get an ob in the first place, 38% never get a second one... but if you get recurring outbreaks the only constant is that they are usually more mild than the first...

Ive been talking to alot of folks that have HSV1 trying to get an Idea of things... and have found people that had it for 2-3 days and never had a recurrance, others had initial outbreaks for 2-3 months with some having 1-2 recurring, others having none. Still a couple others ive spoken with have had it recur every few months... a woman i talked with still got it every couple months with her period and had had it a couple years.

So theres no real standard, just in general your better of with HSV1 than HSV2 as far as recurring outbreaks go. Basically from what ive gathered you have about a 38% chance of never seeing it after the first OB, otherwise you might get one OB in the first year and less therafter... but EVERYONE is different in how they react to this blasted virus.

snickers443 07-18-2005 01:54 PM

ok so what ur saying is that most cases only get it once a year or a few times a year? because my first outbreak was really severe but only last about a week. thanks for your help! and ive had one other break out the month after with only 2 bumps that went way within 2-3 days. and he doctor told me that in most cases people get a few outbreaks then it is gone cause it doesnt like to live below the waist! is there anything you can take that helps? thanks

ohknow42 07-20-2005 09:39 AM

Snicker,

On average HSV1 causes less outbreaks, and many dont have recurring outbreaks but theres not standard with this virus... your mileage may vary. There are things you can do to help reduce outbreaks and address symptoms when you have them.

To keep outbreaks away:

1. Maintain a diet high in lysine and low in arganine (sp?) to keep the virus from reproducing alot. Basically it needs arganine to reproduce and doesnt like lysine. Lysine also helps your immune system fight it better.

2. Take l-lysine dietary supplements. 1000mg daily, 2000mg when you think your about to have an outbreak, and 3000mg when your having one. This works for some, others not at all, still others take more. theres 700+mg of lysine in an oz of swiss cheeze so it would probably be hard to od on. ;-) The reasons for taking lysine are replained above.

3. some folks take garlic, and other vitamins... I just take a multivitamin but your mileage may vary.

To address the symptoms:

1. Take a bath with 1-2 cups of epsom salts added to the water. It helps dry out the effected area... and drying it and keeping it that way is the secret to ending the outbreak asap. This also has the effect of lessening the sting/burn/itch alot.

2. You can treat the effected area with peroxide using a que-tip. You would think this might hurt but it actually feels cool. Again this helps dry out the area.

3. Always dry the area with a blow dryer on low after bathing... you dont want to leave it wet.

4. Sometimes taking a mild pain reliver life advil, etc. will help deaden the pain/itch etc of an outbreak.

5. This one is more an emergency relief item thats worked well for me... you can use super lysine+ ointment on the effected area. It will do a good job of killing the itch/burn... but it doesnt seem to promote healing, and goes against the whole idea of keeping it dry. That said, I keep a tube of it with me when i have an ob, so that in an emergency (like i need to function at work and its driving me crazy) i can get rid of the itch/burn. This is available at most health food stores, and is sold as a treatment for cold sores.

snickers443 07-21-2005 03:11 PM

ok. well ive read that if you normally get hsv1 orally...where it is generally located at. then if u get it genitally...it shouldnt come back but a few times.!

Comments?