It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

preocupado HB User
Ob before, during or after period?

Hi!
Quick question for the ladies: those of you who get obīs related to your period, do you get the ob before, during or after your period?

I seem to be having my second ob at the moment, a milder one. It started just after my period finished.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
(female)

upset144 HB User
Re: Ob before, during or after period?

Hi,
I think I have some idea of what you're going through. Contracted Herpes about 3 months ago (showed up a week after I had oral sex with a guy). Am terribly concerned because I still don't know if I have Type - 1 or Type - 2. All I can say is I keep getting outbreaks about 2 days before or after my period, and its sooo annoying!!

My outbreaks are not terribly painful, as I just have ichy red irritated skin.. no blisters! Because I haven't any blisters the docs haven't been able to swab them and therefore haven't been able to get an answer! Am in Germany at the moment, so it has been hard for me to get help, or trying to make myself understood.
I know for certain that before this happened I was negative for both types and that really makes me question whether I could have contracted type 1 down there! Not really suffering in the mouth area, but have had a couple of slits on my lips (almost like chapped lips) however was not sure if that could be due to the blistering cold winter we experienced here in Germany?

All i'm just curious to know is what type I have. If it is type 2 I just don't understand how I contracted it. we didn't have genital contact - ok maybe his penis just "touched" one of my butt cheeks for a second. I don't understand how this could have happened to me - usually so careful. Also.. anyone have any idea if a blood test three months after would show up the infection? Thanks. Any feedback appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

preocupado HB User

Hi!
I know what youīre saying totally, Iīm in a strange country too, trying to understand what the docs tell me.

I had my first on a month ago and it was pretty bad. The only luck I had was that the few classical blisters I had did not make it painful for me to go to the bathroom.

Right now, a month after my first ob started, Iīm having a second mild ob. Seemed to start a day or so after my period finished. I got some pain on the left side of my groin, like I had worked out too much at the gym, and the skin on my left butt cheek was tender. A bit redness perhaps, maybe some slight burning, but thatīs about it, no blisters and clear red spots, really looked for them, but found nothing remarkable. Some light discahrge maybe and a frequent need to urinate.

As soon as the pain in my groin kicked in I started to take Acyclovir so I donīt know how much of a difference that made.

Iīm dying to find out which type I have too. Iīm scheduled to have a type specific blood test in two months, as it takes usually 12-16 weeks to build the antibodies. When I was diagnosed first no swab tests were ever made, the doc just knew straight away what it was. I demanded a blood test though, and it came back negative for both hsv-1 and 2.

So all I can do is wait as well. I have 50/50 chance, that is, I had both oral sex and unprotected intercourse with the guy who probably gave this to me. The unprotected intercourse was very very brief, 10 sec max, but I guess thatīs enough. Stupid stupid me, but whatīs done is done. Iīm having other std tests done as we speak, hope they come back clean.

Well, all we can do is wait for the test results!

Are you taking meds for the obīs youīre having? Did you get general symptoms with your primary ob?

Take care!

Old 04-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
(female)

preocupado HB User

One more question, how do you even know itīs herpes you have? If there are no blisters, even in the first ob, no swabs have been done or blood tests? So how can you be sure itīs herpes?

Old 04-04-2005, 01:20 AM   #5
(female)

upset144 HB User

Hi,
Its always reassuring to talk to someone going through the same thing. Which country are you in exactly? I'm studying here in Germany, but am originally from the UK.

I was told by the doc, same as you, when I had the first outbreak that it was almost certainly Herpes. I had not many blisters but one big lesion near my vagina (not actually on it) that was quite painful, and clear fluid came out of it. During this time I had swollen glands, and also had aching sensations in my legs and foot. I was just so shocked when the doctor told me, felt so desperately alone. After this first outbreak went down with a heavy cold, almost like the flu.. wasn't very nice. Since my first outbreak have had about 2 minor outbreaks. Because they're minor.. should be type 1. But would type 1 come back as frequent?

Today, have noticed after the iching went away, kind of like papercut slits on my Vagina (just 2). When my period started I began taking some Valtrex I got from the doc when I went back home. I'd go on suppressive therapy now, but I haven't got enough tablets to last me three months that I am here! The German docs weren't very helpful and only were prepared to give me the acicylovir cream.

All I want to know, like you, i what type I have. Just don't understand if it is type 2 and how I caught it. Had no unprotected sex. When U say 10 secs unprotected before the sex, did he wear a condom afterwards? I'm going to see if I can get the cuts swabbed today, but don't know if anything will show up. in two weeks time will probably get a blood test.
Good Luck.. know I shouldn't really do this but my personal email is :[ please read and follow the posting rules - no emails ] Should U need to chat to someone.

Alicea

Last edited by moderator2; 04-04-2005 at 06:03 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 04-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #6
(female)

preocupado HB User

Hi!
I guess giving out e-mail addresses is forbidden, so letīs keep the chat here then .

My situation sounds somewhat similar to yours. I caught this a bit over a month ago, at least thatīs what I think. My first symptoms started like 2-4 days after Iīd been with this guy. We had unprotected oral sex, fingering and touching and those 10 seconds of unprotected intercourse, nothing more. There was no intercourse after that with a condom. The thing is that I had oral sex with him a few weeks before as well. So Iīm very confused as to when, what and how I caught this.

To be completely honest, I was with four different guys between the end of Jan. and end of Feb.. My sexlife is usually very dead, this was an exeption to it completely. But I do suspect the last guy, calculating from when my symptoms started. But of course itīs not impossible it could have been someone else.

My first symptoms sound like yours. First I had something that felt like a paper cut on the outer labia. That then turned into a blister or something I guess, but when I went to see a gyn she just said it didnīt look like herpes typically and that there was nothing to swab. But then it got worse quickly, some more discomfort in my genitals, perhaps some more blisters, and the achy feeling in my muscles, abdominal pressure, swollen and tender glands, slight discharge etc. started. Went to the emergency room, a young doctor took one look and stated it was herpes and gave me some Acyclovir cream. Just like in your case! I didnīt think that would be enough, did some research on the web, so I went back to the first one, she had another look and gave me some Acyclovir orally. Took that for 10 days and it seemed to help. During that time the pain mainly felt like an ache in my genitals and my muscles. The cuts or blisters only hurt when I took a shower and water hit my genitals. The visible symptoms seemed to clear away quite quickly although the tender glands persisted.

Since then Iīve monitored myself with a mirror down stairs several times a day. Donīt know anymore whatīs supposed to be there and whatīs not. Had my period along with the every month yeast infection, which was less this time since the gyn gave me something for that orally. But then after the period finished a new mini ob seemed to start. First I felt some pain in the groin on the left side and then the skin on my left hip became tender. All that went away in 24h but I started Acyclovir as soon as the symptoms appeared. Just finished the 5 day cycle of the meds. Never saw a blister in my genitals or a cut really, maybe (not sure) some red spots and there are some slightly red areas around my vagina,with some very light burn/pain. Nothing major. Just a frequent need to pee, which doesnīt hurt at all. Donīt know if itīs because of the Acyclovir or because itīs just a mini ob. The slight redness and the very slight burning is still there, after finishing my meds yesterday.

Like I told you, had a blood specific test done a week after my primary ob started. Negative for both hsv-1 and 2. So I know I never had this orally either. So if it is hsv-1 I have genitally I would not have had any antibodies for it and I would have caught it easily. But of course Iīm dreading itīs hsv-2, it would be so typical, I just donīt have any "luck" with these things. Well, if it is hsv-2, then I just have to live with it -literally!

I also had all the other std tests just done, waiting for an answer there. A pap smear will be done later. And so far all my hiv tests have come back negative, different types have been done.

Iīm also very confused about whether the guy I think gave this to me knew he had it (genitally) or not. Heīs a friend, a new one, and I called him right away when the first "diagnosis" was made. He just moved to a new city and so I couldnīt see him face to face. He got freaked out at first because he thought I was going to tell him I have hiv. When I finally got the herpes-word out he was like oh no, damn etc. etc.. I donīt recall exactly what he said (a bit of a language barrier too), but I explained to him shortly what it was, that I didnīt know if I got it from him and that he should get tested. He was very undertanding about it all and said that this wouldnīt change things between us, that I could always tell him what ever thing.

So did he know or didnīt he??? I donīt know if he ever got tested, he said he would try to find a place in his new home town, but at the same time he just started a new high pressure job and was desperately department hunting. Heīs kept in touch and been very sweet but we havenīt mentioned the herpes thing again. I hope Iīll get a chance to see him face to face at some point and ask if he ever got tested. Perhaps his expression or answer will give me some clues to if he knew or not.

And of course the blood tests Iīm having will eventually tell me a bit more too.

So many questions in my mind, what type do I have, who gave it to me, did he know, how many obīs will I have, how bad will they be and how is my sex and social life going to be. Very hard to concentrate on anything else!

Keep me posted Alice, Iīd love to hear your experiences! You wonīt have to wait that much longer for the blood test, I have a few more months to go.

Letīs keep the support up for each other!

Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
(female)

upset144 HB User

yes, seems like the boy you were with didn't know he had anything wrong with him. At least you still are friends, and that makes it a great deal better than if it were a one night stand. Its really hard when things like this happen in relationships isn't it?
I on the other hand was not so lucky from the reaction I recieved with the boy I was with. I had only known him like 4 days, and he invited me back to his place. I was beginning to develop feelings for him, but don't know if I trusted him. Unfortunately while I was there I had a little bit too much to drink, yet not so much that I don't remember what I did.

I'm anxious because his penis did touch my butt with maybe some pre-***, yet no real rubbing went on. After the oral sex (which I wish never happened!) he wanted to go further but I told him no. After this, he seemed let down and sulked. The evening ended with me putting on my clothes and him saying he'd call me (he never did). I think he was a bit let down that I didn't let him have any sex after the oral. About 5 days later I had the first out break, I went back to his office and asked him. He got a little bit angry when I started telling him, and I asked him if he had herpes. I don't know, perhaps he thought I was accusing him because he started getting angry, and saying "I already told you".Maybe he would still have got angry if he figured that he may have passed the infection from his mouth to my genitals? I was so anxious and worried the next few days... I tried ringing him. He got upset each time and kept putting down the phone. Perhaps I was to blame partly for his reaction as I did ask him a few times Anyway, since then I have made no contact with him, nor he with me. I'm still wondering how things would have been between us should this terrible nightmare never occurred. Now I just feel like a one night stand because I no longer have contact with him. Stupid me!

I'm getting the blood test done next week. The doctors here are so annoying because they won't culture the splits I have in my skin, because "it doesn't look like herpes". Anyway, on a lighter note the burning seems to be easing off and the itching going. Are you thinking of going on suppressive daily therapy for yours? Valtrex?
Just wish that this had never occurred. Least of all in a foreign country. Makes things seem all the more scary.
Let me know when you find out anything.
Alicea X

Old 04-04-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
(female)

preocupado HB User

Hey!
Iīm so sorry the guy treated you badly! Itīs so hard to tell from someoneīs reaction if he knew he had herpes or not. The getting angry about you confronting him could mean anything. My guess is he knew nothing and was angry you didnīt let him go further and and then you asked him if he had given you something.

In my case I wish I could have recorded that phone conversation I had with the guy who probably gave this to me. Iīd like to go back and look for some clues, I canīt remember exactly what he said. I do remember I explained the situation to him and that he could have given it to me, even orally, but that I wasnīt sure it was him and that I wasnīt accusing him. He was like oh no! etc. and said something like "I donīt know if/what I have in my mouth" (after I brought up the oral posibility). He was very sympathetic to me and my situation and said he had no clue where to get tested in his new location but that he would try to find a place. He said that I could always tell him anything, that this wouldnīt change things between us and that in the future we would have to be more careful. Something like that.

So I donīt know. Was he so "nice" about it because he already knew he had it and felt he was "off the hook" since I wasnīt kicking and screaming at the other end? Or did he just not think it was so serious? Or is he generally just a really nice guy? I donīt know him well enough to say, after he left weīve been in touch mainly by sendin some text messages here and there on the cell phone. Heīs always really sweet and sometimes a bit racy, indicating he wants to be physical with me in the future as well, if and when we do see each other again. I donīt know what to think of that, does that mean he feels relief that I wasnīt too hard on him or has he just put this thing out of his mind? I donīt know how educated he might be about stdīs, so I donīknow if he really knows that much about herpes, I explained some on the phone.

The reason why there never was any real intercourse between us (the first time only oral, the second time oral, touching and those few seconds of unprotected) was because he just couldnīt hold an erection. Iīve been wondering why that was and if thereīs any link to herpes possibly. It wasnīt like if he didnīt want to or try to have intercourse, there was some poking involved as far as I remember. So it wasnīt like he didnīt want to have intercourse because he was afraid of giving me something. I never asked him about the erection problem since I didnīt know him that well and he never brought it up or seemed embarassed, as far as I could tell.

You do feel very lonely in a foreign country when something like this hits you. I havenīt had much help from doctors, been running in and out from their offices tons this past month, speding heaps of money. All I know about herpes Iīve learned on the internet, symptoms, treatment, transmission etc. etc.. Not always the best place to get your info!

I took Acyclovir 200mg 5 times/daily for 10 days during my first ob. When my second seemed to start I took the same amount for 5 days. Just finished it yesterday. Quite paranoid about whatīs going to happen next, will things get worse, will the ob stop or not. Like I said, I still feel a bit of something around my vagina, a bit sore maybe or some slight burning, but itīs very very mild. Thereīs maybe some redness too. Never really had any itching, or maybe for just a few seconds here and there. I donīt know whatīs normal anymore! Iīve always had problems with yeast and such, but now I donīt know whatīs what.

Iīve been thinking about the supressive therapy but for now I donīt want to do it. Well, at first I want to try to find out how often I will have obīs and how bad they might be. Will I get one always after my period or not? Will there be blisters or not? Iīm not quite sure either yet where exactly my obīs will be. No blisters or such showed up the second time where they were the first time. Well, I guess I dindīt look that carefully either the first time, the ob could have strated from a different location and I just didnīt notice it. I noticed the first "bilster" in a place where there has been notning sense, exept the skin there is still a bit tender if I touch it with a q-tip. But that could be still from the first ob a month ago? And I donīt know how much the Acyclovir helped this time, could it have been mich worse if I hadnīt started taking the meds as soon as I felt the pain in the groin?

I donīt like taking meds if I donīt have to and thatīs why supressive therapy is a last resort to me. I hope it doesnīt come to that. Iīd prefer to take meds episodicly. Iīve read about the side effects and especially the part about loosing hair scares me. Iīve had a ton of hair loss the past month, donīt know if taking Acyclovir just a few times would already do it. Iīve also been extremely stressed and have in the past lost hair due to this. Could be the reason this time too, I hope!

Keep me posted on you progess!

Old 04-05-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I found out last november that i had herpes type 2 and the very first ob occured after my period and so did the next two ob's. I had begun taking garlic gel capsules a bit before my last ob and i also began applying some of the garlic oil onto the location where i'd normally get my ob and i've not had one since. The moment i have the slightest idea or feeling that an ob could possibly be on the way i apply the garlic oil and i believe it has helped me so far. It is also soothing and keeps any itching at bay.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:24 AM   #10
(female)

upset144 HB User

Thanks Audrey, I will try and get some garlic oil, but all in Germany i've been able to get my hands on is garlic capsules? will they do the same thing? How did you contract your herpes.. was it from unproctected sex or oral?

One very interesting question to me is, I have had oral sex once with a guy before this one who had cold sores as a kid (yet he admitted to me he only gets them very very rarely now) If i did catch Genital herpes 1, why did I not catch it from him instead of this other guy?? Very puzzling.

Ok, all that seems to be showing up on my vagina is two papercut slits after the itching. Audrey.. do you get blisters or slits?
Really am anxious to know what I have.
Thanks

Old 04-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I gather by your post that you aren't sure whether you have herpes or not. Sometimes yeast infection symptoms can be similar to herpes. That's why a lot of the time females might think they have a yeast infection when in fact it can be herpes all along. "Assuming" you have herpes, here's what i do:

I buy the garlic gel capsules and i cut them open with a knife and squeeze the garlic oil out onto a q-tip (the cotton bud things you use to clean your ears) and then dab it onto the spot where i get my ob's.

I have herpes type 2 and funnily enough got it through protected sex. Even with using a condom you can get herpes as it's a skin to skin virus.

As for oral and cold sores, i knew not to give oral when i've got the common cold sore on my lip, but i was told at the sexual health clinic that you can pass on type 1 herpes even when there is no cold sore present on the lip as the virus is with you forever. It's likely harder to pass on type 1 when no cold sore is present, but they say it's still possible.

My ob's occur partly on a small section of skin on my anal area and partly on the skin next to my anal area. I get tiny, tiny blisters, but not like the pics you see on the internet. I believe those pics are extreme cases. Mine will basically itch then sting and it looks more like a red rash. In fact my doctor believed it was just a heat rash and brought on by sweat and told me to ignore it. Luckily i went to a sexual health clinic and they gave me a blood test specifically for herpes and took a swab from the rash and the swab came up positive for type 2. YOu can't argue with that result as the swabs are even more accurate than the blood test. But a blood test could shed light on what you have too, so you cant totally discount a blood test. With blood tests though, you need to get them done 8 or so weeks after the particular sexual encounter so the antibodies have time to build up in your system and so that the correct result can show up on the blood test, otherwise you could get a false negative.

I think i'm more fortunate to have my herpes ob's at my anal area as it's drier there than at the vaginal area so i believe heals faster. My first couple of ob's did seem to last forever and did get me down as i never believed i'd be free of them. I got the idea of using garlic oil from a post on these boards. There was a recipe of marinading cut pieces of garlic in virgin olive oil and then using that oil on your ob's, but i thought that might be messy and time consuming, so i thought i'd try a short cut and cut open one of the garlic gel capsules and it appears to be working. Well it's either working or maybe my system is now used to this virus and they are living in harmony for now until something like stress/lack of sleep upsets that harmony and sets off another ob. I don't even appear to get them after my period anymore.

I found the garlic worked for not only the herpes, but in the past when everyone around me has winter colds/flus, i rarely get them now or only get a light dose of it and also my hay fever allergies seem to have lessened. I noticed this occuring in the last couple of years as i was taking 2 garlic capsules orally for roughly two years, then stopped, then resumed it not long after starting my herpes ob's. Now i take them religiously two per day (swallow both capsules together, not one in morning and one at night, but at same time) and dab the oil onto the ob spot when i feel the usual weird sensations.

Think i've answered your questions. Feel free to ask, that's what we're all here for. It must be difficult as you are in a foreign country though. We have had a couple of people eventually post on these boards that they dont have herpes afterall, so who knows, you too could be one of the lucky ones. Take care ok.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:46 AM   #12
(female)

upset144 HB User

It really does make you wonder how easy this virus is to catch, its really shocking that you could even contract it through protected sex. I thought I was actually being careful with the guy I was with! Just goes to show that NO sex is actually safe. He did not show any signs of the virus on his lips, or down there for that matter. I always assumed that you could only contract it through kissing someone with it actually present. Its all been a revelation for me. Yet I suppose I shouldn't go on a guilt trip about it. Its incredible how the doctors cannot diagnose such a common condition. Maybe they assume that every case must look like the internet pictures.

How long ago did you catch it? For me it has just been a mere three months, so I guess that explains why it may be happening so much just after my period. Maybe my body just hasn't made up the antibodies to it yet. My outbreaks have not lasted a long time, just the itching for 3 days and then sores for 2 days.

I will certainly get some garlic capsules and do what you suggested. I'm willing to try anything to stop it coming back. Its great that you managed to suppress yours. All I can get here in Germany is the garlic powder capsules, but i'll take them until I get back to the UK.
Many thanks for your help and support.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

My first ob was in November last year, so i'm still fairly new to it all too. It's often said that the first year can be the worst and then it should settle a bit and then after five years a lot of people rarely get ob's. I hope that's true!!

I thought of something else which i used to use when i first began getting the ob's. As my ob's were occuring at the anal area and the skin isn't quite as tender as the vaginal area, i used to pour a little tea tree oil straight onto a cotton wool ball and dab it on the ob area. It used to sting like hell for a few seconds, but i'd be itch free for the rest of the day, then i'd do that again before going to bed.

I WOULD NOT do this when it comes to the vaginal area though as tea tree can sting quite badly. For the vaginal area it's fine to dilute it and cleans the area with this solution as tea tree is drying as well as an antiseptic. I believe most ob's take longer to heal if they are in a constant moist environment. I've even found a vaginal cream made of tea tree which can safely be used on the vaginal area as it soothes and relieves itching and burning. The cream i found is made in Australia and the company name is Thursday Plantation. Maybe it's available in chemists in other countries or perhaps you could do a search on the net as i think they should have a site considering just about every product can be found on the net these days.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:58 AM   #14
(female)

upset144 HB User

I've tried using the garlic oil as you've recommended. Got a garlic clove and pressed the oil out of it, since I can't get the oil capsules here. It stung quite a bit when I first put it on but it did certainly take away the itching.

I'm glad that you've managed to control your outbreaks so well. Did you ever take Valtrex or Acicylovir tablets in the first year since November? Did this make a difference to your outbreak pattern? Also did you get outbreaks every time you had a period or was it just like that for the first few months? Sorry for all the questions, I just feel so new to this all. I REALLY hope I don't get it every month along with my period, that is annoying. I started taking Valtrex but don't really want to stay on it forever as i don't know about its side effects.
I feel so bad that i've caught it, sometimes I just sit down and cry. I was beginning to wonder if perhaps I didn't catch it through oral sex from the guy I was with. Perhaps I caught it from him fingering me, or perhaps I was really unlucky and when he touched my butt he could have passed it on. I know its most likely to catch it from skin to skin contact, but I remember that on the night no kind of rubbing went on. Hard to tell I guess, just got the blood test on Monday so should know results soon. Will let you know.
Thanks Audrey. Take Care.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi upset144, i can understand it making you cry. When i was in the middle of one of my lengthy ob's it was very frustrating and i found myself wondering how i ended up in this sort of situation. Once my ob's died down and i wasn't getting them i then used to wonder if every little itch or weird feeling down there was a new ob. Once i had been free of them for a couple of months i began to really relax and on a lot of days actually forget i even had this. As i've only had this for 6 months now i still feel pretty new to this and i know there will be ob's in the future, some big and some small and i have to just find my own way of dealing with it and never stopping the learning process. No matter how long you have had this, it's always good to hear about a possible cure or a treatment which will lessen the length of the ob's and the side effects which come along with the ob's.

As for medication, no i've always refused to take them. When i was first diagnosed they offered me a prescription, but i just wanted to see whether i could deal with it without resorting to any forms of drugs of which who knows what could be a side effect.

At the start my very first ob seemed to last one month, then i had a one week break, then i got another which went on for close to 3 weeks, then another short break, then another ob which only lasted one week. My first two ob's did mysteriously arrive after my period and i thought this would be the continuous pattern, but for me it hasn't been. I have read that if you are taking birth control pills that this can in some females increase the amount of ob's.

Feel free to ask questions. I don't mind and i'm sure others on this board don't either and it's the only way to learn. So long as you remember that we are all individuals and unfortuanetly with herpes nothing is black/white as so many cases differ from one another and even success with natural treatments varies from person to person.

Closed Thread