It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

sdl121 HB User
Any other suggestions? Tried EVERYTHING!!

I really try not to complain on this board, and try to use it to learn new things, or be positive, but I can't take it anymore! I'm really about at the end of my rope. I figured I had come to terms with having this virus, and wasnt' going to let it get me down, I haven't even given up hope of finding love despite having it. But the constant outbreaks are about to do me in. I have tried everything. Garlic, lysine, zinc, iron supplements, Echinacea, I don't know what else to try. I can't afford to buy Valtrex every month, and really wanted to stay away from a medication anyway. My current outbreak has lasted for about 3 weeks. It seems like it will last for about 3 weeks, I'll heal up for about a week, then get another one. And they aren't getting better, it seems like they are lasting longer. I thought the primary was supposed to be the worst. What else can I do??

Has anyone else had outbreaks that last this long? or this frequent? Does it really get better after the primary?

Old 04-04-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Any other suggestions? Tried EVERYTHING!!

Find out how much Zovirax generic is. I take 400mg twice a day. It will definitely help get things under control and you can relax. I think half of my ob's the first year were due to nerves and stress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Have you tried applying garlic oil to the actual spot where you get your ob's each time? I believe this has worked for me.

At the end of the day, each of us is different and is affected differently by hormones, what we eat, how we live our lives etc etc. Just like one person will get lung cancer from smoking , but a heap of others wont. Some people will catch a virus at the drop of a hat, while others will go 10 years without a cold or flu. I think herpes is like this too, but you can't give up. I agree with dolysods, stress and nerves are nasty and that's what affects me most and i need to have QUALITY sleep too.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User

SDL121 ~
I am feeling your frustration....So, I had to add my 2 cents. Here goes - I have HSV (not sure what type, dr. didn't type it) genitally. It took me about 14 mo. to get it under control. I went thru the emotional rollercoaster of self-destruction, along the way. Suffered many ups & downs. But, now it seems to be under control. Like the above poster states - everyone is different and you'll find what works best for you, with time. I don't like the idea of taking an RX. constantly for it, either. So here is my daily regimen - in the am (on an empty stomach) I take: 1-Centrum silver (allergic to zinc), 1-Vitamin-C, 1-Super Lysine, 2-garlic oil tabs, 1-Red marine algae tab. and then every other week I take echaniea (sp?) for 1 week. Now, I usually feel an ob coming on at/around my period time. So, then I add 1-Super lysine & 2-garlic tabs @ night. If, I feel any tingles/stings/itchiness down below - then I spray the area with peroxide in a spray bottle. If, I feel that I need more - I may use Aloe Vera gel and just glob it in the area. This usually brings instant relief. I try to eat right, try to get 8hrs. of sleep (more if I feel an ob starting) and try to find ways to relax myself. For me, it's reading, walking, gardening or listening to soothing music. Those things seem to calm me down, otherwise I'm usually pretty high-strung, with too much energy. And I try not to stress or worry, because it just weakens my system. Besides, stressing & worrying - doesn't change anything anyway, so it's pointless. Also, I try to keep an positive attitude overall. Hopefully, something here was helpful and if it wasn't thanx anyway for letting me babble. I know, it's easier said than done - but, with time it does get better, you just need to keep that in the back of your mind...Peace, -ShinyOrnament.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #5

mamabear28 HB User

Are you getting blisters with each of these ob's? Is there a possibility that you have something else going on?

Old 04-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
(female)

sdl121 HB User

MamaBear - I don't think anything else is going on. I don't really get blisters, its more of some tingling, a little bit of itching, discharge, and a couple bumps that stick around FOREVER. I don't think its anything else. I went to the doc and I would think if something else were going on she would have caught it then? Besides, I don't really know what else it could be with those symptoms.

Shiny Orn - thanks for sharing your tips with me. I haven't tried the marine aglae yet, I'll give that a try. I did try the olive oil with garlic in this past week, and my sores are better, but I don't know if its actually from the garlic, or because they were healing anyway. I plan to try it first thing next time.

Thanks for the advice. Its just really hard when I keep trying so hard to have a positive attitude and an outbreak keeps coming back to knock me down. You know? I will say it again though, you guys are great. It really helps having a place to turn to and talk to people!!

Old 04-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #7

mamabear28 HB User

So how were you disgnosed then just by visual exam by your dr. or was it by blood? Did you ever get a primary ob that consisted of blisters? Where you exposed to the virus is that wht you are so sure?

Old 04-05-2005, 12:15 PM   #8

mamabear28 HB User

Did you ever have a primary ob that consisted of blisters? How were you diagnosed by visual exam or by blood? Were you exposed to the virus and that is how you are so sure that is what is going on?

Old 04-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
(male)

Stillhope1 HB User

Red marine Algae is the best that I have seen.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
(female)

sdl121 HB User

I never had an outbreak that turned into an actual blister. Like I said, they were fairly mild, but just very very frequent and lasted forever. My doc did a test for chlamydia and gohnerrea and they came back negative and then said that these were herpes. That was my diagnosis. Like I said, since everything else came back negative, I don't know what else it would be.

And as far as being exposed to the virus, I am not 100% sure I was exposed. I found out my boyfriend was cheating on me, a couple weeks after he told me, I went to the doc for my annual exam. She said that I had bacterial vaginosis, and gave me an antibiotic for that, then when I went back for a follow up on that she saw bumps on my vagina and inner thigh and said it was probably herpes. She said that you can get bumps or a rash like that from the bacterial vaginosis, but they wouldnt' come and go like that. that was my diagnosis.

So I thought it was funny I started having all these problems directly when my boyfriend cheated on me. I have tried getting a hold of him, but he won't return any of my calls. It was actually a long distance relationship, so without him getting back to me, I really have no way of talking to him about this to find out if he's been tested or anything. Lots of unanswered questions don't make it easier to deal with!

Old 04-05-2005, 01:36 PM   #11

mamabear28 HB User

I am really sorry that you are goung through this. If I were you I would request a blood test from my dr. Have him or her give you the Herpes Select Blood test that will tell you which type you have. Also talk with your dr. about testing you for diabetities, anything that would supress your immune system to allow you to have ob after ob. Most cases of genital herpes get themselves under control within a couple of months after primary ob. Sometimes though if your body is having a difficult time with the virus that may mean there is a underlining cause to it like a alternate illness. If nothing seems to show up in your tests then see about trying a suppressive theorpy for a month and see if that keeps it under control. You should not have to suffer like this.

Just a question has your dr. tested you for yeast? Yeast can be tricky. You had mentioned discharge in one of you entries Herpes typically won't have a discharge ( sometimes the primary ob may if the cervix is affected ) but after that usually they don't contain any discharge. Yeast infections can cause a rash also. My girlfriend had a yeast infection and didn't know it she went in for a prenantal visit they cultured her and infact she had yeast she had a rash that came and went for many months on her vagina and her thigh. Just a thought.

Last edited by mamabear28; 04-05-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I have to say i fully agree with mamabear's comments. Get a blood test by all means as it seems like your doc would have difficulty getting a proper swab from the types of bumps you describe.

With the garlic, do you consume any forms of garlic? A couple of years ago, before i ever had herpes, i began taking two garlic capsules per day and i don't seem to catch the common cold/flu or only get an extreme mild dose. It also lessened my hay fever allergies. I stopped taking it, then soon after my ob's began i started the garlic capsules all over again and i also apply the garlic oil from the capsules onto the area where i'd normally get my ob's.

My ob's tend to look like a red rash too, but i've had it also when it's been tiny minute blisters. Not all ob's look like the typical pics on the net, that's why some doctors say it's not herpes or don't know quite what to say.

If you had a yeast infection, the doc to tell by taking a vaginal swab and having it cultured as this is the best way of seeing whether you have yeast or other pathogens etc.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:21 AM   #13
(female)

sdl121 HB User

Mamabear - thanks for the story about your friend. I had thought about a yeast infection at first, but I thought that the rash wouldn't come and go, I thought with a yeast infection it would stay constant. Maybe I will go back to the doc and ask about yeast. Its just so hard for me to take time off work to get to the doc, and expensive. It would be a lot less frustrating if doctors would take all of this into consideration when they first tell you something is wrong! I will definitely go in and have more tests done. The only thing is, I want to be realistic too, I don't want to get my hopes up that its not herpes and then just have the tests confirm that it is. I have a hard enough time dealing with this, I don't want to give myself any false hope!! But it definitely deserves getting checked out. Thanks so much again for all of your advice! I will let you know what happens.

and Audrey - I will try taking garlic too. Sounds like it can have good benefits whether you've got H or not! Right now I just mixed garlic in olive oil and swabbed it on the rash. I have heard garlic pills help, I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #14

mamabear28 HB User

I don't want you to get your hopes up either just to prove at the end that it is herpes after all. I am just the type of person that likes to explore all of my options first that is all. Maybe what you should try is a over the counter yeast medicane before going back to the dr. it won't hurt to try.

Let me share my story with you:

Over last summer my husband and I went through a very difficult period we split for awhile a couple of months to be exact. I had a brief relationship with someone else during this time. I then realized that the only person I wanted to be with was my husband. We just needed to work somethings out. We have been together since I was 17 and he was my only real seriuos relationship so when things started to go bad and we started to grow apart I didn't know what to do but run from it. We are back together now with our two children and one on the way which is due in just eigt weeks. The point to my story is when I became pregnant I started to have all these vaginal symptoms that had me convinced that I had genital herpes I began to find out as much information about the virus as I possibly could my symptoms have been here bothering since I was a week and half pregnant. I have spoken and had many exams by my dr. I have never had any bumps, blisters, etc. I have had ever other symptom though I have had many dicussions with my dr. and she says that for this to be continuous day in and day out that it is impossible for it to be herpes. On the otherhand my husband and I have continued to have sex and he has not shown a single symptom which then increases the odds into my favor. I have had many yeast infections with this pregnancy though and they are true yeast infection via cultures they have shown many different symptoms sometime I have the discharge sometimes I don't sometimes I itch a little sometimes I itch a lot. Basically all I am saying is that something else could be going on other than herpes. It is worth a shot to explore your options

mamabear

Last edited by mamabear28; 04-06-2005 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:14 AM   #15
(female)

sdl121 HB User

Thats interesting. So, do you not know if you have herpes or not? Can they do a test while you're pregnant to find out? I think the not knowing is maybe worse than finding out you have it!

Closed Thread