It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
(female)

youandme HB User
Nutrition and vitamin info needed - and some support

Hello all!
First of all, thanks for listening, sharing and supporting on this borad. It really helps! Iīm quite new with the hsv, some 5 weeks now with the virus, with continuous symptoms since my first ob. Mentally some days are better, some rock bottom. Just now I feel like Iīm in a prison, like this virus totally dictates my life, when and with whom I can have sex, what I can eat, what I can wear etc.. Canīt have casual, single life, sex cause I could transmit this to someone, canīt eat this and that because it might cause an ob, canīt go out and enjoy some nightlife and stay up late cause that might cause an ob, canīt wear tight clothing cause that might cause an ob etc. etc.

Sorry, just needed to vent! Itīs been inside of me all day. Iīve just been tired 24/7 since this all started and sometimes itīs hard to keep the positive mood going.

Anyway, nutrition questions! Iīve been doing lots of research on this and know pretty much about the lysine-arganine factor. A bit confused though about some info. On some web sites it says beans are good for lysine, some say they should be avoided. Same with soy products. Any ideas? Iīve read carefully the table describing lysine-arganine ratios on food products, but it didnīt really help me with my questions. Iīm a vegetarian who eats fish, so any good and realiable info on the above would be appreciated!

And then vitamin questions! Seems like the most popular supplements for fighting hsv are garlic, OLE, lysine and Red Marine Algae. Is anyone taking all of the mentioned or do you just use one or two products? I have a hard time finding the mentioned supplements but can have some of them sent to me if needed. Just wondering if I should take them all or just some?

Well, like I said, I feel a bit like a prisoner today, hopefully better tomorrow. I appreciate all the help and advice and hope to help myself others in the future!

Thanks for listening !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
(female)

lemon drop HB User
Re: Nutrition and vitamin info needed - and some support

im new to the virus too, and i feel the same way some days. anyway, i found red marine algae at the vitamin shoppe. they didnt carry it, i called and ordered it, you need to know the brand name that makes it. and it came in about a week later. i also take ole, found that at gnc. i've also seen it at walmart, so it shouldnt be too hard to find.
i hope any of that helps

Old 04-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #3

internet! HB User

whats the worst about it is theres no magic bullet supplement. Even the antivirals cant really make it totally dormant or inactive. Its easier to cope when symptoms arent chronic Id imagine.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Personally i felt it was not so much the actual ob which was the problem, but the things which came with it eg: tiredness, sore/tender skin, itching and stinging. If the ob just appeared, but you didn't feel anything then i personally feel it would have been easier to deal with.

I too have read charts on which foods to eat more of and which to be careful of. I did this for a while, then thought i'll just keep doing things as per normal and just see what exactly will happen. I began eating nuts and other lysine low foods and haven't noticed a difference as yet. I have however attempted to include a wider range of fruits and vegetables in my diet and have begun buying various varieties of sprouts and some mung beans to include with my work lunch. Am trying to up my water intake and did do a little mini detox.

Who knows what will work and often what could work great from some of us wont work as well for others. Also with a lot of things you wont notice results immediately, you need to persevere for a time.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #5

kem2cdm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B
Is anyone taking all of the mentioned or do you just use one or two products?
I've had coldsores for about 4 years now, and my outbreaks are pretty frequent. I started taking lysine about a year ago, and it definatly does help - though some outbreaks do slip by.

Everyone's bodies are different, so all or none may work for you. The pain of it all is taking it everyday, once I stop for a week or so I put myself at greater risk for it. I've started taking garlic oil pills (1000mg) as well within the past week, I'll let you know how it goes.

I've found the lysine and garlic oil at walmart, those are easy to come by.

Closed Thread