It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #1

unlucky_guy HB User
Post Outrageous Comments on Michael Vick/Herpes

I'm not sure if anyone else here has bothered listening in on the radio show commentary about how NFL quarterback Michael Vick allegedly infected a girl with herpes. But it really showed just how bad the stigma of herpes is.

People were calling into the show saying that Herpes is like the plague. And saying that people with herpes have a responsibility to never have sex with anyone again so that they don't continue spreading this "plague." Other people said that Michael Vick probably deserved it because he was promiscuous just like all the "strippers" and "hookers" who get herpes.

Then there were jokes about how Vick should get his own personal locker-room so he doesn't infect any of his other teammates and "ruin" their Superbowl chances. And jokes about how he runs so fast because his genitals are on fire because of the disease. And how the lady who he supposedly infected should be fired from her job as a geriatric nurse so she doesn't go around infecting those "poor old folk."

You'd think they were talking about AIDS. It was pretty scary. It got so bad that I actually had to turn it off. Did anyone else catch this stuff?

Last edited by unlucky_guy; 04-11-2005 at 10:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lovemygrandma HB User
Re: Outrageous Comments on Michael Vick/Herpes

No I didn't see or hear it, however, that just goes to show you there are alot of uneducated people in the world. I think that people who have no training in the illness or who doesn't have it think that once you get it you have it 24/7 365 days a year LOL. I have a family member who caught it from her husband back in the 1960's and when there daughter was born she just happened to be broke out. It blinded her daughter in one eye. We would have never found out she had it except when my family member went to some big university(after she was over 35 years old) and they told her that she had the herpies complex in her eye and that is what blinded her. I can also tell you I live pretty close to VT and Radford UV and according to information I've come accross it's pretty widespread even if people dont want to admit it. Oh and by the way why dont they track down the culprit that gave it to Vick. Now that would be a story LOL. LMG Several years ago 1998 to be exact Radford was the #1 STD UV in the U.S. Well thats what 3rd eye blind stated at there concert they had at Radford.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 11:56 PM   #3

internet! HB User

who cares really? Dennis Rodman got slapped with a herpes suit in the mid 1990s. I dont recall him having any trouble getting any, nor did it seem to have much effect on his career at the time. Given the platform, like people arent going to be as awful and vicious as possible.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
(male)

Stillhope1 HB User

First things first, I wish more actors and athletes would come out and say they have it on TV and explain it is a virus like the flu not the bubonic plauge.
Second you mentioned it is not AIDS well you can not catch that from a locker room either. I am sure the people on the HIV thread would appreciate that comment about as much as you did from the people calling in.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:11 AM   #5
(female)

FitChic HB User

i will be the first to admit.............that is exactly how i thought until i got it

Old 04-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

I didn't catch it.

But, so far as the AIDS comment...I don't think they would have ever said anything like that about AIDS. They would have been totally flamed for it. So why is it okay to perpetuate ignorance about herpes?

rhetorical question around here, of course

Old 04-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

It'd be nice if they did that still hope, but they are only human just like the rest of us. None of us would want to appear on TV and announce to the world "i have herpes" And im sure they feel the same way.

The only reason they made such a hype about it on that radio station is because its mike vike! A nfl QB. It wouldnt have mattered if it was me or you whe gave herpes to someone.

I do agree it does go to show how uneducated some of the population was, but I was Just like that b4 I got it. I didnt know much about it at all. Then I found this board and several other websites. My doctor was really no help at all.

Infact I went in for my yearly yesterday and she goes "any new conditions or this or that since your last visit?"
I go "none since the herpes" she goes "Are you dealing with that now" And the way she said it really ticked me off. like am I DEALING with it? OMG. I wanted to smack her. I dont like how people who dont have it, but know you do (she's the only one that tickes me off) can just say that like nothing! UGH!

Old 04-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
(female)

karenscorner HB User

this is my post from another thread, but its relevant-

It seems strange that we all have such a hard time talking about STD's when there's a good chance that the person we are scared to talk to has had or has one. What is it 4 out of 5 people have HSV-1 and 1 in 4 have HSV-2 and 80% have HPV. those are some pretty hefty odds. I wish there was more education and openess about sex and std's. What if having a cold was tabu? Hey, its a virus. and I dont mean to be minimizing H, Im not. Iam just making the point that we as a society need to be more... well, educated.

When people start dating the topic of STD's needs to be brought up. It may not sound gentenmanly but times they are a changin. testing should be standard and safe sex practices need to be taught. We are about to see a huge increase in the number of STD's in america b/c kids are experimenting at a younger age with no understanding of what is really out there. to that fact there are a vast number of people out there who are clueless (weren't we). Educating yourself on something you already have is a hard lesson.

Has anyone seen the latest commercial about diabetes? basically, why arent there commercials about STD's besides AIDS? I mean they are more prevelent. Do we need H lobbiest's!? Too bad someone who is powerful doesnt have H, maybe then we would see some action. But arent we all scared to tell people in the first place? Where to begin?!

Peace,
Karen

Old 04-12-2005, 08:00 PM   #9

unlucky_guy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenscorner
this is my post from another thread, but its relevant-

It seems strange that we all have such a hard time talking about STD's when there's a good chance that the person we are scared to talk to has had or has one. What is it 4 out of 5 people have HSV-1 and 1 in 4 have HSV-2 and 80% have HPV. those are some pretty hefty odds. I wish there was more education and openess about sex and std's. What if having a cold was tabu? Hey, its a virus. and I dont mean to be minimizing H, Im not. Iam just making the point that we as a society need to be more... well, educated.
March 8, 2004 -- According to the most recent CDC figures released at the 2004 National STD Prevention Conference, after increasing rates for three consecutive decades, there was a sharp decline in the late 1990s in the number of teenagers and adults who contracted the virus that usually causes genital herpes. Studies indicate a 74% decrease among teenagers over previous rates, and a 48% drop among those in their 20s.

According to the most recent CDC study, the overall rate of herpes sits at 17%, down from a previous estimate of 21%. However, that number is somewhat misleading, because herpes is more likely to infect women than men. Only 11% of men were actually found to have the virus.

The decrease is even more significant when the age range is narrowed to 20-29 year olds. Only 8.6% of that population tested positive for the virus. And again, because the virus is more prevalent among women, approximately only 5-6% of males between the ages of 20 and 29 live with HSV-2.

Point being, that is a far cry from 1 in 4. And I believe that is why so many people are "uneducated" about the virus...genital HSV-2 is simply NOT that common.

Last edited by unlucky_guy; 04-13-2005 at 12:57 AM.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

YES! We DO need Herpes lobbyists! And we need neonatal herpes lobbyists too (my high horse, of course!)!!!

And I would totally go on TV and say I have herpes if it would do any good. Montel Williams does all those medical shows, maybe I'll give him a ring. Seriously, I would do it in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. I tell strangers all the time that I have herpes. I mean, it's not like "Hello, my name is Fay and I have genital herpes!" as I shake their hand, right!? but people ask about my kiddos and it comes up that they had neonatal herpes/herpes encephalitis and they inevitably ask how they got it. And I tell them! I have genital herpes! And I've never even been symptomatic so I could probably try saying "not from me!"

Anyhow...point being, the stigma's out there but we have to choose if each of us personally will live under it. Don't get me wrong, when I say we choose I don't imply that there is a right or wrong choice for everyone. But we choose, and personally I choose not to.

And, in my opinion, 17% is still pretty common. 17% overall is 1 in 5.88 people. Of course we can't divide people into thousanths, but if you put 6 people in a room, statistically, at least one will have genital herpes according to that report. No, it's not 1 in 4, but that's still a lot. I mean, go to the grocery store, work, church, the mall, court...anywhere and count out every 6th person...it will add up.

Also:
Quote:
there was a sharp decline in the late 1990s in the number of teenagers and adults who contracted the virus that usually causes genital herpes.
I haven't read the full report although I have seen it referenced several times recently. BUT...from that snippit you posted I interpret that to mean that the rate of hsv-2 is on the decline. If I remember correctly from other studies, the rate of genital hsv-1 is increasing. So to say that those statistics reflect the overall rate of genital herpes would probably be inaccurate. While you are right, it seems as if the rate of hsv-2 is no longer 1 in 4, when you add in hsv-1 (which is NOT "the virus that usually causes genital herpes) the rate of the general population probably is closer to 1 in 4.

And just one more thing...and please excuse my lengthiness...but researchers look at those percentages in terms of significance. To interpret that data you really have to read the actual studies yourself and check out the significance or lack thereof. Yes, in women the rate is higher than in men, and the difference may well be significant, but you don't know unless you read the actual results sections of the studies. And of course, for every published study that you can get access too, there are unpublished studies that may or may not have similar results.

So while I certainly don't mean to debate the validity of anyone's thoughts and comments, there is always more than one way to interpret the info that's out there. Honestly, I haven't had the opportunity to dig into the journals and make my own opinion on it, so I definately would not try to discredit anyone else's ideas on it.

But back to the stigma...it is a shame. Regardless of the number of people who do or do not have herpes.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
(female)

idunno78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky_guy
March 8, 2004 -- According to the most recent CDC figures released at the 2004 National STD Prevention Conference, after increasing rates for three consecutive decades, there was a sharp decline in the late 1990s in the number of teenagers and adults who contracted the virus that usually causes genital herpes. Studies indicate a 74% decrease among teenagers over previous rates, and a 48% drop among those in their 20s.

According to the most recent CDC study, the overall rate of herpes sits at 17%, down from a previous estimate of 21%. However, that number is somewhat misleading, because herpes is more likely to infect women than men. Only 11% of men were actually found to have the virus.

The decrease is even more significant when the age range is narrowed to 20-29 year olds. Only 8.6% of that population tested positive for the virus. And again, because the virus is more prevalent among women, approximately only 5-6% of males between the ages of 20 and 29 live with HSV-2.

Point being, that is a far cry from 1 in 4. And I believe that is why so many people are "uneducated" about the virus...genital HSV-2 is simply NOT that common.
Herpes is not a reportable STD. 8.6% of what population? For all I know that could include a study of 100 people in East WhereAmI?

Old 04-15-2005, 12:29 AM   #12

internet! HB User

its all irrelevant anyway...hsv-2 is down, hsv-1 is way up...since a bloodtest of that typically means "coldsores" by a physicians diagnosis, you have a bunch of collegekids with genital herpes type 1. In most university health centers, the genital herpes that is diganosed the vast majority of it is herpes type 1.

I do, however, agree that saying 1 in 4 is minimizing it. Its less than that significantly but again, the rates drop or rise or stay the same, you still have herpes regardless of how common or uncommon it is and its still a physical and psychological burden. Im sick of bitching about how it sucks, nothing I can do to change that so Im gonna learn to live with it. I may or may not face rejection and I may or may not continue to have chronic symptoms (going on one year now). Not a damn thing I can do and wasting time bitching about it isnt gonna make it suddenly purge itself from my body. What ifs are pointless.

It is a stigma thing for sure aside from it sucking. People still freak the **** out about HPV and thats really nothing serious at all save the high risk strains in women. You get a few warts, they're burned off, and they most likely never return. Psychologically people tend to not handle HPV any better.

Last edited by internet!; 04-15-2005 at 12:31 AM.

Closed Thread