It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

star12300 HB User
Bad cold sores and chapped lips

Since around January (maybe before) I've had very bad chapped lips and really bad cold sores. They seem to be going then it just comes back worse. It's sore, weeping and bleeding. I've tried everything, vasaline, Blisteze (or is it called Blistex? Not sure) and lots of other things but none of them work. I asked the pharmacist and she said that there was nothing else I could try really. They're just really bad. They're sort of in small clusters and when I brish my teeth, they seem to be spreading. I've had them before but never this bad. Why aren't they going? And what can I do about it? It's just making me feel really miserable and embarrased. I want to put my hand over my mouth all the time when I'm talking to someone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: Bad cold sores and chapped lips

Chapped lips are the major factor in me getting a cold sore. Have you tried all the lip balms and treatments that there are? I use lip balm and reapply it several times a day (especially before going to bed).

Are you sleeping in a room which is too hot or too cold and this is causing the chapped lips?

You should also make sure that you are getting enough sleep as well as eating properly. Perhaps consider taking some extra vitamins. Make sure you drink plenty of fresh water.

The advice after a cold sore heals is to throw away the toothbrush you used during the outbreak and get a new one. Whilst I am not sure how much this helps considering a person already has oral herpes, it can't hurt to try it. I suggest that you throw out any toothbrushes you have and buy several brand new ones, and keep using a new one once one outbreak ends.

I can also recommend any creams containing zinc oxide. There is one in the UK which can be used for cuts, scrapes and nappy - you would call it diaper! - rash (!) but also for cold sores. My mother swears by it for her cold sores and I have found it quite effective too.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

star12300 HB User

I'm in the UK. What's the name of the nappy rash cream?

Old 04-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
(female)

Lonely123A HB User

Star,
I get frequent cold sores and my Dr. gives me 500mg of Valtrex to take twice a day until the sores are gone, It works, that is the only think that seems to help.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by star12300
I'm in the UK. What's the name of the nappy rash cream?
Hi. It's called "Sudocrem", you can get it at most chemist's. It's a general treatment for cuts and sores etc.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
(female)

SydneyZ60 HB User

Ask your doctor to prescribe valtrex or famvir for you - either should work. The topical over the counter cremes don't do anything. Good luck, I know they are a horrible pain.

Syd

Old 04-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

It is near impossible to get suppressive therapy on prescription in the UK, especially for type 1. You would need to see a private doctor and it would not be cheap.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
(female)

Lonely123A HB User

Beaker,
In The UK do you have a product (lip balm) called CARMEX, it is for the treatment of cold sores and dry chapped lips. It works but takes longer than VALTREX. But if you can use carmex then it would at least help relieve some of it. Good luck

Closed Thread