It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

upset144 HB User
benefits of suppressive therapy?

Hi all!
I am presently getting outbreaks always on my period days and also frequently when I get a bit stressed. I was wondering how many outbreaks I should expect IF I went on supressive therapy? Is Valtrex better? Also did anyone benefit from going on suppressive therapy if they were having monthly outbreaks like me, too?
I am a bit concerned about starting supressive therapy as I am not sure what effect they will have on my outbreaks. Although fewer, will they be more painful as they are "supressed"?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 07:01 AM   #2
(female)

tina02 HB User
Re: benefits of suppressive therapy?

I just got diagnosed the end of March and have been on Valtrex ever since. It hasn't prevented me from getting an OB yet, but I think it helps. Since I have never gone without Valtrex my only experience is being on it so I can at least tell you about that! When I feel one coming on, I half my 1000mg pills and take 1 half in the morning and the other half in the evening. I do that for 3 days and then just take the 1 1000mg pill in the morning. I also take 1 1000mg pill everyday, not just during OB's. I had a few initial weeks of wierd bowl movements and feeling somewhat gassy and bloated, but those side effects are gone now. Valtrex also makes me less likely to transmit H to my partner so I really like it for that reason.

I recently tried garlic and L-lysine supplements, and garlic oil. I implemented them all at the same time so I am not sure which one is the working factor, but this dramatically reduced my OB symptoms. I am hoping it is going to help reduce the frequency I have been getting them too. Read the Garlic Oil thread for good info on that. It truely does work!

Good luck I hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
(female)

upset144 HB User

Hi tina,
Yes, I've tried taking the garlic oil and L-Lysine supplements as well, and they seem to help shorten my outbreaks and make them less painful. By the way, I heard that eating brocolli and also cranberries is very good for herpes too. I contracted Herpes in Jan 2005, from a boy I did not know that well, and who lied about having herpes. We never had sex, but unusually I contracted it from him touching me. Was very upset, and shocked, how easily it could be caught.

Anyway, just got to live with it now I suppose. Its a hassle because I keep getting outbreaks every month with my period. I talked to my doctors but they seem reluctant to give me suppressive therapy, because they think I should wait a year and see if my outbreaks are reduced. Seems ridiculous, I know! I really do want to try Valtrex for at least a year. Even if I can't stay on it for the rest of my life? I know its VERY expensive? Do you get it on insurance or do you pay normally for it?
This forum is such a relief when you feel a bit depressed about it.
Thanks.. Alicea

Old 05-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
(female)

tina02 HB User

Hey Alicea, pretty name! Yeah this H thing sucks, and I just got my period for the 2nd time since diagnosed (first time was right around the primary OB) and sure enough I have a few sores. So I am trying to take the supplements and valtrex (halfing the pills) regularly to suppress it soon and hope it goes away and doesn't come back next months period. I'll come back to this board and let you know how it goes next month.

I got called up as a reservist to active duty so I get all my prescriptions paid for, so I am pretty lucky. My insurance back home once I come off active has a co-payment on every prescription and I think the actual cost of the med is covered. But yes I have heard it is expensive.

My doc wanted me to start supressive therapy right away, he had just gotten back from an H conference and thought this is the best idea. Sorry your docs haven't been so understanding.

Good luck and thanks for the cranberry/brocolli idea!

Old 05-24-2005, 08:17 AM   #5

kierstyn_04 HB User

Dont ask your Dr. TELL your dr you want a perscription for Valtrex. If you feel weird telling him, call the office and leave a message to call it in to your pharmacy, I did and it worked! I love being on it. Its your body! The dr is not the one dealing with the OB.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
(female)

windinmyhair HB User

I was glad to go on Valtrex. It took away a lot of the discomfort I was having. It does mess with you for about 3 or 4 days when you first take it. I got a little bloated, a bit crampy and had to make a few mad dashes to the bathroom. Small price to pay for not hurting. My outbreaks aren't as intense either. To be honest, I didn't pay enough attention to them, so I couldn't really tell you if Valtrex clears the ob up faster. Fortunately, my insurance does cover it and it costs me about $35/month.

As for your doctor, if it were me, I'd get a new doctor. Don't be afraid to consider that as an option. There are some doctors that are better equipped to help you with this than others are. You can go in for a consultation and just talk to him/her and see what he/she can do for you. I've done that myself - though I've been to two and I didn't like either one of them.

Hang in there and give Valtrex a try.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
(female)

upset144 HB User

Thanks for your replies. I have decided to get a new doctor- someone who knows more about the virus than the previous ones I have seen. However, how long is it safe to stay on Valtrex for? I don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life.. but maybe for 5 years or so, if it takes that long to "settle down".

Old 05-28-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
(female)

windinmyhair HB User

I don't really know how long you can be on it. It's something you should ask your doctor. You can also find lots of very helpful books on medicines. Don't be afraid of trying something. If it doesn't work for you, move on and try something else. A lot of these postings gave great advice.

Closed Thread