It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #1

RegretfulHeart HB User
Question Memory-Loss and Herpes

Okay, this is going to sound really stupid. But I was diagnosed with genital herpes, when I was 18. For b.ground info, it was the horrible outbreaks you read about, UTI, severe pain, couldnt walk, quit my job, out of work for 3 mths type of pain. Ok, I'm now almost 21 yrs old, and in the past couple years, I've noticed that my memory is so terribly bad, that it affects my work. I can't remember what I ate yesterday, what I did, and when my boss asks me what I did at work on my schedule, I forget, and I feel rushed, and my blood boils to try and come up with something, however, I honestly cannot remember anything. I never ever had this problem before I was diagnosed with genital herpes. Is there a possibility of brain damage, in the nerve portals of your brain, that herpes can lie dormant in, as well, and destroy tiny cells, slowly...I know it sounds bad, but I couldnt help but ask...it's a serious problem for me, as well as weight gain...because I never had that problem before either. I steadily packed on extra lbs after being diagnosed, and was never able to slim back down to my pre-herpes size...we're talking 15 lb difference maybe...I think herpes makes your whole body just shot out...do you agree? and if any of you have the same memory problems as me, id really appreciate some support, and how or what you did about it...when you noticed it, etc...thanks alot...
regretful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User
Re: Memory-Loss and Herpes

You might look into seeing a neurologist. Brain damage as a result of herpes encephalitis DOES tend to affect things such as memory most commonly, BUT...that is with encephalitis. Since memory is all a matter of brain functioning (would have to go back to old phsyco physio books to remember which parts are suspected), you would have to have actual brain damage as a result. That is definately possible with herpes, but only in the case of encephalitis. You just can't get a brain infection without realizing it! A neurologist could help you identify a real problem and it's source. Honestly, a lot of times that kind of issue is just related to stress. I went through the same thing a few years ago and had my neuro look into it for me (was already seeing the neuro) and everything checked out fine. After about a year, I realized, I wasn't having that problem anymore. It was happening during the year I was finishing college and commuting 3+ hrs on the weekend to see my husband and take care of my sick grandmother...the neuro was right...definately stress!

I don't think herpes necessarily makes your body shot out, though I'm sure plenty here do feel that way. I think that a lot of people attribute more to herpes than the virus is actually responsible for.

Closed Thread