It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Test was negative and I'm SHOCKED...too soon?

Well, I finally got my test results yesterday. I was actually tested twice. The first time I was swabbed at a clinic (even though I had no sores to swab), and the second time I was tested through Planned Parenthood, and I know that they did a type-specific test, but I'm not sure if it was the ELISA or the Western Blot, but I'm PRETTY sure I heard the doctor tell the nurse "ELISA". So....both tests were negative. Honestly, I'm shocked, because I was also tested for all other STD's, as well as HIV, and all of those were negative as well. I should be happy, I suppose, but I KNOW that there is NO other disease of any kind that produces the unique symptoms of herpes. Although I didn't have actual blisters, I had an extremely achy genital region, with small spots that were incredibly painful and itchy. I also had the initial flu-like illness and fever of a first OB, along with the itching starting in the same exact spot where I've had a feeling of irritation before. Plus, my glands in my groin were swollen AND I had the itchy, tingly pain down the nerve in my leg. And to top it off, Zovirax ointment made the symptoms better! I just checked the calendar and I got the blood taken at 11 weeks, give or take about two days, if that. I know that it could take up to 3 months, or 12 weeks, to produce antibodies, but wouldn't I have had antibodies by now? I know they say that you should wait the 3 months, but do most people produce antibodies in a specific time period? For example, when getting HIV tested, they say you should wait 6 months to get tested, BUT most people seroconvert by 3 months. My soreness and itchiness disappeard because of the Zovirax, but I'm still have prodromal symtoms, like the itching, tingly, burning pain up my leg and in my right side like the OB isn't completely gone. THe doctor at PP said to get re-tested in two months, but she wouldn't give me antivirals with a negative test, which really sucks because I still do believe I am positive, and I don't want to spread this to my bf. What have others' experiences been with testing? Does anyone have any information on the particular test that I got? I know that the Western Blot type-specific test is more sensitive, I believe, than the EIA...

Thanks,
Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Re: Test was negative and I'm SHOCKED...too soon?

Oh, I have to add something to this. As easy as it is to contract herpes, so I've read (at least when someone is having an OB or having viral shedding), if I had herpes, wouldn't I have contracted herpes one of the two times I was "with" this guy last summer? In July there were two times with the same person, and once at the end of December. I said above that I tested 11 weeks after because it has been 11 weeks since my LAST exposure to this person, in December. BUT, wouldn't I have gotten H one of the first two times I was with this person back in the summer?

Old 03-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

happiness is HB User

Wow . . . great news . . . sort of?! I too would have thought that 11 weeks would have been long enough time to have antibodies. That's a real conundrum given you are sure you have it and don't want to pass it on, yet the tests say you don't have it. I guess my questions would be: Does the test cover both types and if not, could you be tests for HSV 1 and 2 just so you know for sure. My second question would be, is it possible to somehow have herpes yet have the test show negative (what are the number of false negatives for that type of test).

As for your boyfriend, gee, I'm not sure what you should tell him. You've got to do something or he's going to wonder why you don't want to be with him sexually. Maybe tell him you have done a lot of research and it seems like herpes is a possibility and although you have no idea if it really is, you'd like to play it safe for now and not be with him if you are experiencing any symptoms. Like you, I don't get blisters and doctors have told me it doesn't look like herpes, just what else could it be?

As for could you have contracted it in the summer. I would not think so. Otherwise that means that regardless of whether a person is having an outbreak or not, every person they were with would have herpes antibodies which in reality would mean almost every person in the world would test positive. I'd be curious to know the real answer though, so if you ask the doctor, let me know. I wish I knew more about the science of it but the other person on this board said that if you have antibodies than you have herpes. On the other hand several doctors told me you can have the antibodies and not have herpes. Does anyone else know the answer to this question because I too am curious.

Anyway contrats on the negative test but maybe if you ask him about false negatives and type specific testing, it might give you more insight.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
(male)

over21 HB User

Some of the symptoms for herpes are fairly common, and lesions are not specific to herpes. While you have a high chance of getting infected when your partner is in the middle of an outbreak, you have a greater than 90% chance you will NOT get infected if he's not having an outbreak. Meaning, just being with a HSV+ person doesn't mean you'll be infected.

Call back to PP and get your numeric values, it sounds like you had the HerpeSelect ELISA test, which is very accurate for most people. You should have a result for both HSV1 and HSV2.

False negatives for cultures are common because of timing issues.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi Happiness is & everyone else,

Sorry I took so long to reply to my own thread--college has me sooo busy! I'm actually taking online courses right now, and although I do well in school, the workload is tough. So...I thought that 11 weeks would be long enough to have antibodies, too. I read somewhere else, and the archives here, that one should get tested 12-16 weeks after exposure, so maybe I am too soon. OR, maybe my boyfriend DID give it to me recently...maybe he had a latent infection that became active or maybe he acquired herpes recently. I REALLY REALLY doubt either scenario...that guy that I was with lied to me like crazy, and after I called him and talked to him about the whole herpes thing and told him I was awaiting my test results, he never asked me about the situation again, even though I've talked to him several times after that. It would be great if he wasn't just judgemental about herpes, but anyone in their right mind that slept with someone that says they are sure they have an STD would definitely inquire about the test results. He obviously doesn't want to bring it up because he know he gave it to me. Sooo...as you can see, I am not convinced about the results at all. I was symptom free for about 3 days, time in which I gave in and slept with my boyfriend, and here I am today with the extremely painful small white bumps that look like they're trying to emerge from beneath the skin (in the same spot as before), itching, tingling, burning, and nerve pain down my leg. There is nothing else it can be BUT herpes. So..I'm officially a bad person for not saying anything to my boyfriend yet. I tried to call the clinic today to come in right away so a doctor can see the white bumps that re-emerged, but the clinician was "out". They told me to call back tomorrow, in which I will demand medication--acyclovir is the only thing that helps so it's GOT to be herpes. Lesions can be caused by many things, but not all of my symptoms. I have EVERY symptom of herpes.

I believe that I did get the HerpeSelect Test, which I have read IS very accurate, but maybe it is just too soon? I am definitely planning on getting the actual test results in my hand so I can check the values, good idea Over21.

So yeah...2nd outbeak, negative test! It's definitely possible. I think I helped this outbreak occur by eating massive amount of peanut butter, chocolate and tomato...all have high arginine which should be avoided. I'm actually going to run to the store now and buy some L-Lysine to see if it helps....

Thanks everyone,
Katalina

Closed Thread