It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
(female)

4everscared HB User
Will The type specific blood test be accurate

would like to know if one may have had herpes after years and been misdiagnosed by culture would the type specific IgG blood test be accurate ? My bumps or blisters have been called hair follicles .. ingrown hair or diagnosed as false negative or negative . but docs have only wanted to do cultures not blood work . maybe some of you were diagnosed after years . like to hear from you or anyone that might know the answer .thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
(male)

over21 HB User
Re: Will The type specific blood test be accurate

Cultures have a high rate of false negative because of timing issues, or there just wasn't enough virus when swabbed. Insist on a blood test, HerpeSelect is the most common. If it's been years, then the test will be accurate. Skip the older IgM test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Over21,

Is the IgG type-specific blood test THE HerpeSelect blood test? Are they one in the same? Because I had the type-specific blood test (although I can't say for sure which one) at 11 weeks, which was negative, and I'm currently in the middle of my second outbreak. I'm still concerned about the accuracy of the test, as well as the timing, of course. I know that there is a type-specific blood test that can't truly differentiate between HSV-1 and HSV-2, but wouldn't that still be accurate in terms of showing at least that I have general "herpes" antibodies? I really have to get a copy of my blood test results.
Thanks,
~Katalina

Old 04-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
(female)

4everscared HB User

thanks over21 . you seem to be very knowledgeable about type 2 and type 2 herpes . am going to go for that mailin std testing . found one cannot find again they showed there that they send you to place to have blood drawn . do you think it will be somewhere here in my town .. hospital maybe ?also do I need to have test for hsv 1 , and hsv 2? thanks so much for your help

Old 04-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
(female)

4everscared HB User

thanks for info over21 . you seem to know a great deal about this virus . can you tell me if I need to have both hsv1 and hsv 2 testing . I plan to take your advice and do the mailin testing . one had went to showed where they send you something and you go somewhere to have blood drawn . do you know if this will be in my town , maybe at hospital ?

Old 04-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
(male)

over21 HB User

In the United States, there are only 3 FDA approved tests for diagnosing herpes; HerpeSelect, RapidBioKit HSV-2, and the Captia EIA. There is also the WesternBlot. Although the WesternBlot is not FDA approved, it's considered the 'Gold Standard', a reference test and how all others test get FDA approval. The HerpeSelect comes in two flavors, the ELSIA which returns a numeric result for hsv1 and/or hsv2 and the Immunoblot which returns an easy to read 'negative' or 'positive' for both hsv1 and hsv2. All of these test are type specific for HSV 1 and/or HSV2, although the RapidBioKit and Captia only test for type 2 (HSV2). The HerpeSelect test is the most common, all of these tests mentioned are IgG type specific.

The bottom line on testing is waiting. The recommendation from all bloodtest makers is waiting at least 12-16 weeks. Although some people can seroconvert (turn positive) as early as 3 weeks, most will take about 6-8 weeks, and everyone else (who will be turning positive) will tricky in after that. And yes, there are the rare individuals who can take longer than 4 months, sometimes 6 months or longer. These people usually have a preexisting case of hsv1, which is know to delay the ability of the bloodtest to detect the hsv2 antibodies. So, the longer you wait the higher the accuracy of a negative result.

The test to avoid is the IgM bloodtest; it not type specific and can not accurately determine if your infection is recent, reoccurring, or even if you have the herpes antibodies at all. Many doctors still order this test, they are misinformed and using outdated information about this test to draw conclusions. Do not assume your doctor know's best about proper herpes testing.

There are some HSV common test, which test for either hsv1 or hsv2. Personally, I think these are worthless, cause it doesn't give a complete story. If you were in a car accident, and told you have a broken bone, wouldn't you wanna know which bone was broken. I think of these common type tests as an older style of testing, there accuacy isn't as good as the current FDA approved IgG type specific tests like the HerpeSelect brand.

One problem with bloodtesting is; it can tell you what type of HSV infection you have, hsv1 and/or hsv2, but it doe not reveal the location. While the norm is oral hsv1 and genital hsv2, the number of genital hsv1 cases is on the rise because of oral sex.

When/if order a on-line test, they'll have you go to a local lab for the blood draw.

Regardless of where you go, or who draws your blood, MAKE SURE you get hard copies of the results. That way you can post your results if you have questions about the actual test you had or the results.

Last edited by over21; 04-10-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Closed Thread