It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #1

paddarkk HB User
every month like clockwork

i have a gential herpe outbreak every moth almost to the day, this has been going on for 3 years striaght, has anyone else had it this regularly, and is this likely to be permanent, its becoming a little bit debilitating.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User
Re: every month like clockwork

It doesn't say if you are male or female so I just wanted to say if you are female, a lot of us have OBs during our periods and if we are on the pill they are pretty much exactly the same time each month(should be anyway). I was having this too until I started taking the OOO and OLE pills daily...I am currently on my period and it's the first time since my first OB that I haven't had an OB during my period. If you are a man...gosh...I have no idea why this would be? If you are a woman...I suppose it wouldn't necessarily be at the time of period, it could be at the time of ovulation or any significant hormonal change during your cycle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #3

paddarkk HB User

thanx for your reply , im male, i was aware of the connection with menstrating and obs but for me it is so regular, like my doc says there is no rhyme or reason to it

Old 04-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Could it be something to do with your immune system?

Have you tried taking Lysine, vitamins or garlic capsules or applying garlic oil to the area where you normally get the o/b's?

A lot of us have tried quite a lot of varying things as what works for one person wont necessarily work as successfully for another.

Also if you drink a lot of alcohol, don't get enough sleep, poor diet,stress, not drinking enough water etc can cause o/b in some people.

For me personally i found that boosting my immune system helped. I'm also the sort of person who needs quality sleep and lack of sleep and stress will make me break out down there and orally as well. I take two garlic capsules each day and i've found breaking open one of the gel capsules and applying the garlic oil to the spot helps releive some of the symptoms. I've found hydrogen peroxide to help as well as tea trea oil.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:36 AM   #5
(male)

hadtoolong20 HB User

I too am having this problem recently as well for the last 4 months. I had herpes for over 15 years and stopped having, once a year outbreaks about 8 years ago. Every once in a while I would get a false alarm and get a quick Valtrex perscription and knock it out. No biggie. But lately this has gotten way out of hand. I can't understand this at all. Every month I keep breaking out, taking the meds and it comes right back. I don't drink diet sodas, I am probably under the least amount of stress in my life, I don't eat junk food, I am in descent shape, I don't do drugs, I am drinking less now that I am older. This is nuts, I am going crazy.
Additionally, I have only given it to one partner the whole time in 15 years. I have had numerous girlfriends and sex buddies, and only one has contracted the virus. I am very careful.
I am however, developing a new theory. Herpes has been spreading at an increased rate over the years, yet no one works on developing a cure. Then along comes Valtrex and their preventative maintenance program. I find it very strange that I can go 4 years without taking Valtrex then all of a sudden after one outbreak and taking Valtrex I get them back to back for 4 months straight.
Have the changed their formula? To create a bigger cash flow, we all know those pills have gone way up in price over the years. Way up. Why wouldn't they want us to take them everyday? That's money in the bank. How many commercials do you see for Valtrex?
Is it causing these reocurring outbreaks?
Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Sorry, if I seem a little aggitated. But I have had this for a long time and have never had outbreaks this severe or in this regularity my entire life.
The funniest kicker to all this, is that I haven't had sex in 7 months, so if something does come up, I might as well take a cold shower.

Please comment.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

HTL20, is it possible that you have gotten a different strain of herpes...say for example all along you had hsv 1 genitally but somewhere along the 15 years(fairly recently that is) you contracted hsv 2?

As fas as what you've wondered about Valrex...I wouldn't put anything past drug companies...I don't trust them any farther than I could throw them! Ha! I haven't really read much great about Valtrex except from the company itself...I don't believe I've seen one person here say that Valtrex has been a blessing to them!

I think that for me...peanuts(mixed nuts actually) are a huge trigger food! I kept reading they were but being extremely stubborn as I am, I kept eating them and kept getting OBs. I finally had an experience where about an hour after eating some mixed nuts the spots that where going away starting itching like bad!!!!!!!! I took about 5 500 mgs of lysine and it helped it stop itching!!!!!!!!! There's something called Arginine or something like that in peanuts and chocolates and some other foods and the lysine counter acts that. I am taking all kinds of suppliments...lysine, garlic, zinc, OLive Leaf Extract, Oil of Oregano, Vit. E, Vit C, Echinacea(during an OB only)

When you say you have an OB...what do you have? Is it just the lesions or do you feel ill too? If your only symptom is a lesion, I just discovered Vitamin E oil is almost a miracle cure applied topically to a lesion!!!!!! I bought the pure stuff at Vitamin World(for something else completely!)...it's very thick...or you could pop opened a gel pill. My BF has gotten some lesions since I discovered the Vitamin E oil...what would normally take a week to go away will normally just vanish in a couple days if he puts this on right away! Of course none of this helps explain why all of a sudden you are getting OBs all time(except if it's a new strain?)...I think if it were me I would disco using the Valtrex since it's not helping you only making it worse apparently! Maybe it's not allowing your body to "do it's thing" to fight off the virus on it's own?

Last edited by keepsgoin; 05-30-2006 at 06:06 AM.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
(male)

hadtoolong20 HB User

Well I have come across another possible cause. It seems that Commit Lozenges contain aspartane, and I have found (on other sites) that this aritificial sweetner is known to cause outbreaks. So I guess I am in a pickle now, either live with monthly outbreaks or die of lung cancer. I may have to go with the latter.

Good luck all,

I will lose this newest outbreak and followup later without the aspartane.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

NO by all means don't give up on the quitting smoking...you'll need to stick that one out even if you means a few OBs of herpes! My BF used the patch and couldn't have ever ever ever in a zillion years...haha...done it without that help! He was pretty much freaking out when he tried to stop smoking but it's been over a year and a half and not only does he not smoke...he's an anti-smoker that's extremely offended by other people smoking...heehee! He only smoked for like 35 years..sheeeesh! So anyway, try the patch instead maybe! It can certain work if you really want to quit!

As my eyes were scanning your post ahead of my brain..ha..I saw pickle and immediately thought...darn am I going to have to give up pickles too...haahaa!!!!!!! Was happy to see it had nothing to do with eating pickles...shhhhheeeeeeeewwwwww! I'm going to run out of snack foods at that rate. But that's good to know about aspartane because I had not ever heard of that one...there goes the diet soda I suppose.....hello water...waaaahwaaaaah!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
(female)

happiness is HB User

Like you, I've had herpes for a very long time (almost 25 years). Up until a few years ago my outbreaks were very infrequent. After an extremely stressful period in my life a few years ago, I started having continuous outbreaks. It's like the virus woke up from a long sleep and I can't beat it down regardless of what I do. I know for me, stress is a huge contributor but last year I actually went on a two month vacation to try and beat it back into hiding. AS relaxing as the vacation was, it did nothing to curb the outbreaks. I have tried Zovirax, Famvir and Valtrex and they didn't seem to do much for me. My doctor has asked me to stop taking all the antivirals and sent me for a herpes select IGG test. I think (not 100%) he also sent me for an HIV test because people who have HIV are resistant to the antivirals. I can't imagine I have HIV so I'm not really concerned about it at all.

As for the drug companies changing the formula to make it less effective . . . I couldn't imagine a reputable company doing that. The industry is highly regulated. However, I have often wondered if we are getting some illegal knockoff that is nothing but a placebo. There are lots of stories on the internet about companies who copy the look of pills as well as copy the the packaging and sell them to legit pharmacies. Again, I highly doubt this really applies to my situation . . . I would have had to have several different pharmacies in several different cities all buy a knock off of Zovirax, Valtrex and Famvir. I would say the odds of that happening is ZERO!!

Like others, I have found that by boosting my immune system, I have been able to help curb the outbreak a bit. I personally am taking Airborne daily because I believe in the herbs that are in the product. Others have found success with different herbal remedies too but definitely stay away from those companies who have found the magic cure for herpes . . . Guaranteed!!

Old 05-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
(female)

happiness is HB User

Hmmm, I haven't heard about the aspartane/Outbreak corelation before. I will have to check into it. I drink diet coke . . . I am addicted to the stuff!! I don't drink tea or coffee and I figured it must be the caffiene I'm hooked on. I actually get the shakes if I don't have one plus once I drink one can I immediately open a second one. I try to limit myself to two cans of diet coke a day but even if it isn't causing the outbreaks, it sure isn't healthy for me regardless. I wonder if they have a patch to help people quit drinking diet coke?? My DH was as bad as me but he switched to ginger ale because he was concerned about the health effects of drinking diet coke. I can't seem to make it a full day without having my diet coke fix. I found it very easy to quit smoking but this diet coke thing is a whole other story.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #11
(female)

junkyarddawg HB User

I have numb spots on my legs right before an OB. Does anyone else have this? I ask the doctor and he said that sometimes happens.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I don't have numb spots but the opposite of that...extremely sensitive to the touch. Plus I get the tingly/achy/hot/weird feeling feet and lower part of my legs below the knees.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
(female)

junkyarddawg HB User

that actually sounds more like what i feel. I just have a hard time describing the feeling. In fact it scared me this past week i thought i had a blood clot or something in my leg or something, but as soon as the break out occurred that feeling went away.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:16 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I guess i'm fairly new to herpes, only having had it for one and a half years. I've always refused to take any drugs for it, wanting my body to get used to the virus. I also refuse to give drug companies money unecessarily.

I would have to say the best thing for me in all my experimentation is using hydrogen peroxide on the o/b as soon as i feel it and keep at it for a few days. It seems to disappear faster. I've also found success with garlic oil and tea tree oil.

The main thing to remember is that everybody is different and what works wonderfully for one, wont work as well for another.

Now for the weird thing, i was feeling run down for a lengthy period of time, always tired, despite getting sleep and eating healthy food. About a month or so ago, i went to the doctor and did a blood test and it came out that my iron levels were extremely low. No wonder i wasn't feeling 100% and i used to put it down to being overworked at work. During this period of time i kept getting small o/b's on a regular basis. It was totally frustrating me as this wasn't normal for me.

Due to my low iron levels i began taking iron supplements and eating more foods containing higher levels of iron, plus drinking a LOT more orange/fruit juice which i hardly ever drank before (i mostly drink water, the odd glass of wine, sometimes tea/coffee). Strangely enough my constant o/b's stopped. Is this a coincidence? or something to do with a higher amount of vitamin C in my body? It's really got me wondering!!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B
Strangely enough my constant o/b's stopped. Is this a coincidence? or something to do with a higher amount of vitamin C in my body?
Don't you think they most likely stopped due to taking the iron suppliment?...that may be the cause of some other folks here having sudden OBs even though they didn't have them for a long time. It's worth a shot for them to have that checked! Or at least add a good quality multi-vitamin/with iron and see if it help.

Last edited by keepsgoin; 05-31-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Closed Thread