It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

oceanm HB User
Never ending cold sores

I've had cold sores never ending for around one year now that never go away. They only vary in severity from mild, to worse to severe with painful sores in the mouth. The mild is a small, red mark above my top lip that deepens in color from pink to red according to my stress level. I also have a faint tiny, round white mark above my lip on the other side- maybe that is something else and has something to do with causing this.

SOrry for being graphic but does anyone else experience anything like these and used anything to help?

Old 04-20-2006, 12:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Never ending cold sores

About 10 or so years ago i went through a stage where i was getting continuous cold sores on my mouth. Someone told me about Lysine. I took one course of the Lysine each day on an empty stomach (about 20mins - half and hour before eating). I never got any more cold sores after that and much later on when i'd get the odd one it would be so tiny that you could barely see it.

Lysine can be bought in the supermarket vitamin section or a healthfood store. It's an amino acid which your body doesn't make so you have to get it from foods you eat, but certain foods which are high in arginine (sp?), eg: chocolate and peanuts, kill off the Lysine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
(female)

oceanm HB User

Thank you for your response. I have been taking Lysine daily but also eat chocolate every day- maybe that is why it hasn't been working. I'll try and cut back on chocolate and see if that helps.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
(male)

JRac HB User

I know how you feel oceanm

I was getting cold sores just like you, as soon as one would go away id get another. Its very frustrating as you know.

Definetly take lysine, it helps a bunch.

also get Releev...its an over the counter medicine like Abreeva. You can get it at rite aid or any pharmacy. It says on it 24 hour cold sore relief. It runs about 20 bucks, pretty expensive but it lasts for a loong time.

As soon as I feel a cold sore, or you can even kinda see it coming and its tingling. I put some releev on it and take 3000 milligrams of lysine. I continue to put on the releev through the day. It says you only have to put it on about 3 times a day but i really load it on, just so I KNOW its not gonna get any worse. Anyway, the cold sore will not blow up and be practically gone the next day. The stuff really does work.

I also take a multi vitamin and extra vitamin c, which prolly helps.

and I hope this helps you.

I

Old 07-23-2006, 04:14 AM   #5
(female)

lysineuser HB User

Chocolate is definitely your culprit. You can still eat chocolate just double your dose of lysine whenever you are going to eat chocolate. GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-23-2006, 07:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

If you are having them for over a year. I would also go to your doc and ask to take any of the herpes type meds this would help stop them for you. Along with the above posters suggestions.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
(female)

oceanm HB User

Thank you everyone for your input. I have tried Lysene but it's never helped. but then again I've always used the same brand from Wal-Mart. Does the brand matter? Is there a brand that is better than others?
Thx

Old 07-30-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
(female)

lysineuser HB User

hi Ocean M. Lysine is my life saver. I take it daily. I also help myself by not eating too much of the foods that trigger an outbreak. These are foods rich in Arginine. You should track the foods using a journal each day for one week. At the end of the week, you should see how many of the foods are high in aginine. You should then change your diet so that you are eating foods that are low in Arginine. The brand of lysine does not matter. Lysine is lysine. Sorry to say but chocolate is defintely a trigger food. You should cut down on your intake of chocolate. You should take 2000mg of lysine for one week that you are weining the massive loads of chocolate in your system. you should then reduce this dose to 1000mg daily. If you know that you are going to eat a trigger food double your dose of lysine. You need to eat healthy to maintain a strong immune system. GOOD LUCK!
Trigger foods for me are....
popcorn
caffein (soda,coffee, chocolate etc)
peanuts

and I am still learning...

PS. Cut down on your intake of chocolate.

Closed Thread