It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

happiness is HB User
Curious about viral shedding research

On the valtrex website it talks about the statistics of how much viral shedding is reduced when taking Valtrex. How do they know this? Is there a way to test for viral shedding? If so, how do they test for it? Skin sample? Just curious since it would be so handy to know if you are experiencing viral shedding at a particular moment and I was just wondering how they know if someone is having viral shedding.

PS - I haven't had a chance to pick up the OOO and OLE but plan on doing so. I'm having an outbreak now which kind of sucks. I don't get blisters and instead I just get the tingling and two little red cuts so at least it is not painful. Please, someone hand me a time machine so I can go back and erase the sexual encounter that is memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User
Re: Curious about viral shedding research

H.I.~
When you get that time machine, can I borrow it?
I would be curious about the viral shedding knowledge, also. I'm wondering if it's just a marketing ploy by a large corporation to get us to buy the drug. Wouldn't be the first time. Good thoughts....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

happiness is HB User

If I can't find a time machine I'll set for a fairy who will grant me just one wish.
I think they would have to have some real research to back up the viral shedding claim.
Tonight while watching Flight93 they had several Valtrex commercial spots. I was trying to watch the commercial from the viewpoint of someone who does not have herpes. Gee, it would scare the dickens out of me. I can only assume the message they were trying to get across was for people to take Valtrex, thus reducing the chance of spreading herpes. It wouldn't have sold me at all. However, if they instead concentrated on the point that it can reduce your outbreaks, now that would have made me sit up and take note of it.
I've decided I'm going to switch from Famvir to Zovirax. Their stats are more impressive. They said the average person went from 11.8 outbreaks a year down to 2 outbreaks a year. Now that is something I can relate to. But reducing viral shedding just doesn't make me jump for joy. I guess I don't really think about viral shedding. I always get some type of symptom even in the absence of a true outbreak so I know to refrain from sex. I don't think I've ever really been concerned about it; perhaps because I do have recognizable symptoms.
Do you ever spend hours on end researching the internet in hopes of finding some little known, yet highly proven miracle drug for herpes? Countless hours of internet time has so far not rewarded me with such a find, but I'll keep trying . . . it can't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonder
H.I.~
When you get that time machine, can I borrow it?
I would be curious about the viral shedding knowledge, also. I'm wondering if it's just a marketing ploy by a large corporation to get us to buy the drug. Wouldn't be the first time. Good thoughts....

Last edited by happiness is; 04-29-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User

H.I. ~
Love your posts. I believe there are many "cures" out there for many viruses & diseases, yet the big drug corps. are blocking them because they have everything to lose by not hawking their expensive Valtrex, etc. If Polio was cured, why not herpes? Or HIV? I have done extensive research on women & menstruation. There is actually a drug that stops menstruation (and all of it's symptoms) for good, but do you ever hear about that, NO...how much business would gynos lose...it's all corporate b/s. Bottom line is the big buck. Nobody cares about us but us. Big smiles to you...OOO & OLE have helped me A LOT. Keep posting.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
(female)

happiness is HB User

Yes I know all about the wonders of stopping menstruation!! It's called menopause . The periods stop completely and the only side effects are bitchiness, hot flashes that have you grabbing a step stool so you can insert as much of your body as possible into the freezer section of your fridge, and chills that makes wearing multiple layers of clothing much more than a fashion statement. Night sweats too . . . often causes your DH to roll over and look at you and say "oh, you've already had a shower. At least towel off, you're getting the pillow soaked. And your honor, those were the last words he said to me before I shot him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonder
H.I. ~
There is actually a drug that stops menstruation (and all of it's symptoms) .

Old 04-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
(female)

Philly228 HB User

OMG - Happiness... What you're describing about the little cuts sounds like what I was writing about in my post this morning. "afraid to ask"

I just saw yours...

How fast do your little "cuts" heal? Days or hours?

OMG...I"m going to try not to panic. If that is an outbreak then I wonder if washing up afterwards kept him from getting the virus? He hasn't said he's gotten any symptoms, but I know there's no way he didn't rub on the area where I later saw a "little rip" when we were having sex. He was in too deep - surely past the end of the condom.

That's just dam* unfair. I wouldnt get near him if I'd felt anything or saw a little rip of any kind beforehand. It can appear that quick and go away quickly too if its an ob like that?

Old 04-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
(female)

happiness is HB User

Sometimes they clear in hours. I can wake up with nothing and in the afternoon I can have these cuts and by the evening they can be gone. I rarely take a peak to check them out but when I have, they were red irritation/cut looking. I know they are an outbeak beacause I always get that tingle feeling before the outbreak. They are sort of uncomfortable but not painful at all.

Washing with soap will remove the virus from the skin. Unless there is an entry point (cut/wound) for the virus to enter into the body, washing it off will help keep him herpes free. My DH does not have herpes and we are very careful. We never have sex when I have or suspect an outbreak is about to happen. If he has any irritation, we do not have sex because I'm afraid I may be shedding and the virus will have an entry point. He is way less paranoid about this then I am and sort of has the attitude that since he hasn't contracted it from me in 15 years, he never will so we don't have to be that careful. My philosophy is that he is herpes free strictly because we ARE that careful.

And yes, in my case they come and go very quickly. Example: today I was completely outbreak free . .. felt nothing that resembled herpes. We were out for the day and all of a sudden I felt an outbreak coming on. So one minute I had nothing, and the next minute I was having an outbreak. It's awful because as you said, you wouldn't go near him if you were having an outbreak but how are you supposed to know if an outbreak is happening during sex. I truly wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy and I would pay $50,000 cash if someone could remove this virus permanently from my body. And I'm not joking . . .I would seriously do it. That's how much I hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly228
OMG - Happiness... What you're describing about the little cuts sounds like what I was writing about in my post this morning. "afraid to ask"

I just saw yours...

How fast do your little "cuts" heal? Days or hours?

OMG...I"m going to try not to panic. If that is an outbreak then I wonder if washing up afterwards kept him from getting the virus? He hasn't said he's gotten any symptoms, but I know there's no way he didn't rub on the area where I later saw a "little rip" when we were having sex. He was in too deep - surely past the end of the condom.

That's just dam* unfair. I wouldnt get near him if I'd felt anything or saw a little rip of any kind beforehand. It can appear that quick and go away quickly too if its an ob like that?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #8
(female)

Philly228 HB User

Happiness,
Thank you SO much for sharing your experience with this. Dang this really does stink. Thankfully though, you and your dh have been so careful and he's okay.

The mental part of this virus truly IS the worst part. What we put ourselves through outweighs any of the physical effects. I sure wish more people were informed about this crummy thing..

Old 05-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
(female)

happiness is HB User

I was on a website that seems to be intended for doctors to ask eachother questions regarding problems they are finding with some of their herpes patients. They are asking eachother for an opinion on what they should do etc. Anyway, one of the posts talked about some research center where you could send a tissue sample of the virus and it tests for shedding. I have no further details because he didn't really go into details and no one asked him any questions. All in all, their responses to everything was "try" this or "try" that because it worked on one of their patients but others did not have success with it. It all boiled down to that basically it is a hit and miss type of treatment. It was kind of disappointing to find that the doctors really had no clue about herpes and most of the questions asked were questions that any of us herpes positive folks would know the answer to.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #10
(female)

muffin1358 HB User

I believe the test used to check for viral shedding is called PCR. A swab is taken if the entire anogenital area and then checked for virus. It is more sensitive than a culture and does not require a sore to be present.

Since shedding is unpredictable, the proper method involves daily swabbing for 60 days to determine if a person with herpes sheds.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #11
(female)

happiness is HB User

muffin1358, thanks for the info. I wish there was a home test version . . . how handy would that be!!

Closed Thread