It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
(female)

4everscared HB User
Unhappy tests results/hsv1...hsv2

got my test results today .. was so hard . felt so bad . cried entire time was in docs office after hearing news .. crnp was very nice , tried to explain things and to make me feel better which I did appreciate but did not feel better ,. still feel so bad . and crying . feel better knowing , but I feel as if I have no future.. anyway I said I would post . I would love if you guys would help me to understand the findings here . all the numbers and such . I know am positive for both hsv1 and hsv2 .? also does it show when infected . love to hear all you know of these findings here please . thanks

Hsv-1 IgG, Type Spec result4.5H index / limits 0.0-0.8
Negative <0.9
Equivocal 0.9-1.0
Positive >1.0

Hsv-11 IgG.Type Spec 7.7H index 0.0-0.8
Negative<0.9
Equivocal 0.9- 1.0
Positive >or=1.1

Hsv 1/11 IgG Result- 36.7H index 0.0- 0.8
Negative <0.9
Equivocal 0.9- 1.0
Positive >1.0

The following user gives a hug of support to 4everscared:
Mjbianca79 (11-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
(female)

happiness is HB User
Re: tests results/hsv1...hsv2

I can't help you with the what the test results but I just wanted to tell you that each of us can empathize with what you are going through. Allow yourself this grieving/anger/sad period. It is an incredible shock; even when you were expecting to hear these results. It isn't the end of your lovelife . . there is a future, even for us HSV positive people. It is hard for you to see that right now. It will alter your life but there are worse STD out there even though it doesn't feel like it right now. I think that many many people have very few, or very mild outbreaks. On this board you will mostly find people who are looking for support which is why it might seem like you'll be having outbreaks non stop when reading our posts. But, the people who aren't experiencing o/b like we are aren't usually have moved on because herpes is nothing more than a very infrequent annoyance to them. The rest of us need support. I find when I am not having an outbreak I am happy and thinking that maybe I have finally broken the cycle. But when another outbreak happens (especially since my are so frequent), I come here for support hoping that someone else is having an up/outbreak free day and can cheer me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everscared
got my test results today .. was so hard . felt so bad . cried entire time was in docs office after hearing news .. crnp was very nice , tried to explain things and to make me feel better which I did appreciate but did not feel better ,. still feel so bad . and crying . feel better knowing , but I feel as if I have no future.. anyway I said I would post . I would love if you guys would help me to understand the findings here . all the numbers and such . I know am positive for both hsv1 and hsv2 .? also does it show when infected . love to hear all you know of these findings here please . thanks

Hsv-1 IgG, Type Spec result4.5H index / limits 0.0-0.8
Negative <0.9
Equivocal 0.9-1.0
Positive >1.0

Hsv-11 IgG.Type Spec 7.7H index 0.0-0.8
Negative<0.9
Equivocal 0.9- 1.0
Positive >or=1.1

Hsv 1/11 IgG Result- 36.7H index 0.0- 0.8
Negative <0.9
Equivocal 0.9- 1.0
Positive >1.0

Old 05-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

4everscared HB User

Happiness Is... thanks for your reply . I know there are so many people here with hsv and am sure they feel same way as myself .. especially when first heard the positive results.I suppose it could be worse .. much worse STDS like aids and other such ones , but I do feel so mad ..as am sure whomever gave it to me does if know he has this . will just take some time for me . you did make me feel a lot better after reading your reply . thanks so much . I hope that you are feeling ok today . I wish all good things for you .. for everyone that is living with this virus and all others .

Old 05-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User

You won't be 4everscared. I just wish herpes could be talked about more openly. What difference does it make where you have a sore or lesion? People with HSV1 on their mouths aren't made to feel like us. I just wish everyone who has H would come out & talk about it, that's what makes stigmas go away but I doubt it will ever happen. Your life is going to be fine. In a few weeks, you will have a different perspective. Trust me. Smiles & good thoughts.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

happiness is HB User

So true. The other day I ran into someone who had so many cold sores on their lips and it looked so painful. And for the first time I thought (to myself) hey, I'm having an outbreak too but mine is hidden." So I guess if I had to choose one type, it would be genital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonder
You won't be 4everscared. I just wish herpes could be talked about more openly. What difference does it make where you have a sore or lesion? People with HSV1 on their mouths aren't made to feel like us. I just wish everyone who has H would come out & talk about it, that's what makes stigmas go away but I doubt it will ever happen. Your life is going to be fine. In a few weeks, you will have a different perspective. Trust me. Smiles & good thoughts.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
(male)

over21 HB User

4everscared; As you know your results show you're positive for both. As hard as this sounds, and I'm not trying to deny your feelings; it's not the end of the world, things do get better. You join the 60-80% of the population who has hsv1, and the 25% of adults who have hsv2. This is a very common virus.

About the results; The numeric result is just a number, it doesn't reflect how many ob's you'll get in a year or the level of infection, or likelihood of passing to someone else. Meaning a 3.7 is no different than a 7.7, they're both positive.

They also don't tell you how long you've had the virus. However, from what I have read and learned about bloodtesting, your numbers would suggest this is not a recent infection. Meaning you didn't just get within the last 4 months. But don't accept what I just said as fact.

Your first number (4.5) is for hsv1; Your second number (7.7) is for hsv2. The norm is oral hsv1 and genital hsv2. However, you can have either type in both location. Your third number set (36.7) is a combination for both hsv1 and hsv2, it's meaningless.

What Lab did the actual bloodwork?

Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User

Over21, you must be a doctor or health-professional. Thank you so much for your expertise. You have helped more than you will ever know....keep it up. Between you, Keepsgoin & Happiness is....I am still alive....you must realize how much we need you & appreciate your advice. Smiles & love to you all. Do you all realize the impact on my life?? You have kept me going.....many, many thanks.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User

Happiness is - NAH, I would NOT choose genital. I would just like H to be seen as it IS, HSV1 or HSV2 - all the same. Sorry, I am a bit defensive. It's all THE SAME VIRUS...why are we singled out as trash??? HSV turns out to be 1 BAD decision. That's it, really. Made a bad decision. What a dope.

Now I have learned what a great group of people I share this with.
My thanks are never-ending.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
(female)

4everscared HB User

over21 thanks for clarifying to me about the numbers .also the lab that did tests was called LabCorp.also over21 could you tell me the difference between hsv1, and hsv2 please . you seem to know so much about this virus .I did not think it was a recent infection . I think ll docs saw in past knew nothing as I really did not have that many obs and ones I had and were checked were thought to be something else . anything you might care to share with me about this virus I would appreciate very much . I am not giving up . just do not really know what to do now that I know have this . kinda do not feel like me at the moment . definitely not very sensual now .I think I might know who I was infected by but cannot really be too upset with him as he may not have known he had this virus . took me a while.thanks again.

QUOTE=over21]4everscared; As you know your results show you're positive for both. As hard as this sounds, and I'm not trying to deny your feelings; it's not the end of the world, things do get better. You join the 60-80% of the population who has hsv1, and the 25% of adults who have hsv2. This is a very common virus.

About the results; The numeric result is just a number, it doesn't reflect how many ob's you'll get in a year or the level of infection, or likelihood of passing to someone else. Meaning a 3.7 is no different than a 7.7, they're both positive.

They also don't tell you how long you've had the virus. However, from what I have read and learned about bloodtesting, your numbers would suggest this is not a recent infection. Meaning you didn't just get within the last 4 months. But don't accept what I just said as fact.

Your first number (4.5) is for hsv1; Your second number (7.7) is for hsv2. The norm is oral hsv1 and genital hsv2. However, you can have either type in both location. Your third number set (36.7) is a combination for both hsv1 and hsv2, it's meaningless.

What Lab did the actual bloodwork?[/QUOTE]

Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #10
(female)

happiness is HB User

I'll jump in in the meatime until Over21 can answer.

HSV1 and HSV2 are different strains of the herpes virus. I imagine it is like different strains of the flu . . . the flu shot will not be effective in fighting every strain of the flu.

HSV1 was historically associated with oral herpes and HSV2 was known as genital herpes. Over the years, this has changed due to the crossing over. If someone has HSV1, they can pass it on to you genitally during oral sex, The same with HSV2.

Genital HSV1 is supposed to be easier to deal with . . . infrequent outbreaks that are milder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everscared
over21 thanks for clarifying to me about the numbers .also the lab that did tests was called LabCorp.also over21 could you tell me the difference between hsv1, and hsv2 please . you seem to know so much about this virus .I did not think it was a recent infection . I think ll docs saw in past knew nothing as I really did not have that many obs and ones I had and were checked were thought to be something else . anything you might care to share with me about this virus I would appreciate very much . I am not giving up . just do not really know what to do now that I know have this . kinda do not feel like me at the moment . definitely not very sensual now .I think I might know who I was infected by but cannot really be too upset with him as he may not have known he had this virus . took me a while.thanks again.

QUOTE=over21]4everscared; As you know your results show you're positive for both. As hard as this sounds, and I'm not trying to deny your feelings; it's not the end of the world, things do get better. You join the 60-80% of the population who has hsv1, and the 25% of adults who have hsv2. This is a very common virus.

What Lab did the actual bloodwork?
[/QUOTE]

Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
(female)

happiness is HB User

I agree. I have heard genital herpes referred to as "the nasty strain" when infact someone could have genital HSV1. I may be wrong, but I don't think most people who do not have cold sores even know that cold sores really are herpes

That said, I would still choose to have it genitally . . not only because it is then my little secret, but because it is hidden in general. Sort of like choosing to have a pimple on your face or a pimple in a place that is hidden by clothing.

Until such time when the entire would becomes HSV positive (which seems to be a realistic possibility), people are going to associate genital herpes with being very sexually active, and oral herpes as "it's just a cold sore . . . nothing to do with herpes".

People are more turned off by herpes than other STD's (excluding HIV) simply because it is incurable. But even if it was curable, most people would not be discussing it at all . . . it's not a topic discussed in most groups. People would not suddenly share this information in a group setting even if the stigma wasn't attached. It's like me announcing at dinner party that I have a yeast infection. Although, some dinner parties are so dull that I might just discuss my yeast infection for the sheer joy of seeing the shocked expressions on their faces!!

Blonder . . and anyone else who would like to answer . . Situation: You are dating someone. You really think "this may be my soulmate." You have been together for a month or two. They suddenly announce they have herpes. No one can guarantee you won't catch it and no one can guarantee that this relationship will last forever. Truth . . what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonder
Happiness is - NAH, I would NOT choose genital. I would just like H to be seen as it IS, HSV1 or HSV2 - all the same. Sorry, I am a bit defensive. It's all THE SAME VIRUS...why are we singled out as trash??? HSV turns out to be 1 BAD decision. That's it, really. Made a bad decision. What a dope.

Now I have learned what a great group of people I share this with.
My thanks are never-ending.

Last edited by happiness is; 05-09-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:29 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is
I agree. I have heard genital herpes referred to as "the nasty strain" when infact someone could have genital HSV1. I may be wrong, but I don't think most people who do not have cold sores even know that cold sores really are herpes
HECK!, most people that HAVE cold sores have no idea they are herpes and the certainly don't know they can be spread to the genitals that's for sure.

I agree also about not having them on my face...my poor BF has more cold sores than he does anything genitally. He only gets a little sore genitally about every 4 or 5 months, it goes away in a week without even really getting big but if he has a cold sore...OMG, he'll get a huge sore on his face or a huge sore on his lip that lasts two or three weeks and it just looks horrible!

Old 05-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #13
(male)

over21 HB User

The DNA structure of the HSV1 and HSV2 is very similar, and the both 'sort of' act the same. However, a blood test can only tell you what you have, not where you have it. I know of a woman who has both genital hsv1 and hsv2, which was confirmed by culture test. That's not common at all. When she has an outbreak, she doesn't know if it's hsv1 or hsv2.

What is very different is the social stigma between the two.

Regardless of the horror stories you hear or pictures you see on the Net; know that this virus acts differently for everyone. I don't believe this is a recent infection for you, something happened (poor diet, stress, lack of sleep, more friction than normal during sex, etc.) which cause a more noticeable outbreak for you, which resulted in you getting it checked out and bloodtested.

From your results I would have guessed LabCorp, they're a reputable company. Their process is to start with a combination test for hsvI/II. If it's positive (and your 36.7 is) then you're tested for HSV2. If that test is negative, then it's assumed you're hsv1 positive and no further testing is done. If the hsv2 test is positive (and your 7.7 is) then your tested for hsv1 which you were positive (4.5). Their combination test alone is worthless, but they follow up with the HerpeSelect brand test for the hsv1 and hsv2 testing which is the most common test on the Market in the U.S.

I would recommend reading up on this common virus. ***** (which has a partnership with this message board) has good information. The CDC.gov/herpes sites also has good basic information. There are lots of other sites out there, some are great, some are worthless, some even trying to pitch a 'cure' for herpes. Plain and simple, there is no cure, but there are ways to manage outbreaks. It's buyer beware on these types of products.

If there's anything to learn here and pass on to your friends, not to scare them, but to inform them; this virus is very common, most people are not aware they have the virus. Doctors are not up to speed with proper herpes testing, never accept a visual exam as proof alone. The IgM bloodtest is worthless. And oddly enough, getting an STD checkup doesn't mean you were tested for herpes, because it's not part of a standard STD checkup. You need to request it. Just because they draw blood, doesn't mean you were tested for herpes. So people should ask what they're getting tested for and what they're NOT getting tested for. And as most people say, get hard copies of the results cause the results can be a very muddy read at times.

Last edited by over21; 05-10-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:02 AM   #14
(female)

4everscared HB User

Happiness Is .. thanks for your reply to my post . this is a very complicated virus for sure . you know I am quite sure this is no recent infection .. in fact I think must have had this for some time . but is strange have had little or no outbreaks for years . I say years as I know of only 2 guys that could have gotten this from . prob this one particular one and was a long time ago . I am talking years and years . I really have not had any obs . I have had these blisters that were defined as a hair follicle . had same kind last few weeks in fact and that is what caused me to just ask for herpes test. swab test nothing .. when had the blood work . herpes test was when found out had this virus . The CRNP gave me a mirror other day when went for results, and showed me this blackhead around my vagina . actually more closer to my inner thigh . had hair on one that was nearby. blister . but most ones I have had are blister .. hard , and deep under skin .. very hard .she showed me pictures and that they were not herpes , called them something else .. said might get them from bacterial infection . of all pics have saw of herpes lesions online and in her office I really have not had any obs that looked like any of them exept for maybe a couple all this time .. think thats why it never came to mind that had this virus . anyway thanks again..
also went went for test results and was positive was given Valtrex. and some mild pain meds for terrible leg pain I have .

Last edited by 4everscared; 05-11-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:12 AM   #15
(female)

4everscared HB User

over21 thanks . I understand so much more now than did . you are right I have been under a great deal of stress past few months.. not a lot of sleep either . as said in another post here doc gave me Valtrex so am taking that once a day . I will keep coming here and reading posts, and doing research at *****, and such .

Quote:
Originally Posted by over21
The DNA structure of the HSV1 and HSV2 is very similar, and the both 'sort of' act the same. However, a blood test can only tell you what you have, not where you have it. I know of a woman who has both genital hsv1 and hsv2, which was confirmed by culture test. That's not common at all. When she has an outbreak, she doesn't know if it's hsv1 or hsv2.

What is very different is the social stigma between the two.

Regardless of the horror stories you hear or pictures you see on the Net; know that this virus acts differently for everyone. I don't believe this is a recent infection for you, something happened (poor diet, stress, lack of sleep, more friction than normal during sex, etc.) which cause a more noticeable outbreak for you, which resulted in you getting it checked out and bloodtested.

From your results I would have guessed LabCorp, they're a reputable company. Their process is to start with a combination test for hsvI/II. If it's positive (and your 36.7 is) then you're tested for HSV2. If that test is negative, then it's assumed you're hsv1 positive and no further testing is done. If the hsv2 test is positive (and your 7.7 is) then your tested for hsv1 which you were positive (4.5). Their combination test alone is worthless, but they follow up with the HerpeSelect brand test for the hsv1 and hsv2 testing which is the most common test on the Market in the U.S.

I would recommend reading up on this common virus. ***** (which has a partnership with this message board) has good information. The CDC.gov/herpes sites also has good basic information. There are lots of other sites out there, some are great, some are worthless, some even trying to pitch a 'cure' for herpes. Plain and simple, there is no cure, but there are ways to manage outbreaks. It's buyer beware on these types of products.

If there's anything to learn here and pass on to your friends, not to scare them, but to inform them; this virus is very common, most people are not aware they have the virus. Doctors are not up to speed with proper herpes testing, never accept a visual exam as proof alone. The IgM bloodtest is worthless. And oddly enough, getting an STD checkup doesn't mean you were tested for herpes, because it's not part of a standard STD checkup. You need to request it. Just because they draw blood, doesn't mean you were tested for herpes. So people should ask what they're getting tested for and what they're NOT getting tested for. And as most people say, get hard copies of the results cause the results can be a very muddy read at times.

Closed Thread