It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

bobcatou HB User
Herpes and your period?

I almost always have outbreaks after my menstrual period. I have been on the pill, and I am off it right now, and it has been the same. I know of some forms of birth control that can stop your period all together, like depo provera, or that one form of the pill where you take it straight for 3 months at a time so you have less periods. Has this worked for anyone? Does it sound like it may work?

Old 07-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
(female)

Lucyz100 HB User
Re: Herpes and your period?

Hello

I know exactly how you feel!

I have had herpes for the last 3 years and like yourself I have an outbreak the day I finish my period (I can set my watch by it!)

My first OB was awful and had to stay in bed for a week. Not everyone has been as bad since but I still get severe OBs every now and again and have to take time off work.

I am currently on Aciclovir, I think its helping but I still get monthly OBs. I recently spoke to my doctor regarding coming off the pill to see if that helps but he wants me to stick with the Aciclovir for another 6 months. I also wonder whether stopping my periods altogether would help. I was told by my GP that the contraceptive injection (that is suppose to stop your periods) only has that effect in 25% of cases. The downside is that some women find they constantly bleed (I definately cant take that risk.)

Sorry I cant be much help, its just nice to find somebody that has the same problem. I will keep you posted though if I find a 'cure.'

Look after youself!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
(female)

Lucyz100 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatou
I almost always have outbreaks after my menstrual period. I have been on the pill, and I am off it right now, and it has been the same. I know of some forms of birth control that can stop your period all together, like depo provera, or that one form of the pill where you take it straight for 3 months at a time so you have less periods. Has this worked for anyone? Does it sound like it may work?
I have tried running my pill packets together but i just bleed for the whole time. the only other solution for me is trying a higher dosage pill which I really dont want to do as tHEy run an increased risk of breast and cervical cancer. i have recently read about H-balm. Has anybody tried this?

Old 07-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
(female)

fuse123 HB User

I have the same problem. I was on the patch for about a year, and my doctor said I could leave the patch on instead of taking it off for a week and still have a period 3 times a year. This worked well for me and I had less frequent obs. But the patch gave me mood swings so I switched to the Nuva ring. I am also wondering if anybody knows if I can do the same thing with the Nuva ring? It works just like the patch (3weeks on, one off) There has to be a way to control the outbreaks. I am also on Acyclovir. When I forget to take them I have bad ob's. I think that the levels of hormones in the birth control some how effect the ob's.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Lucy***0, what is H-balm? is it made from something herbal?

Old 01-23-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
(female)

kindaconfused HB User

I just got off of the pill. Should I expect more OBs while my body adjusts to getting off of the hormones?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Kindaconfused.....everybody is different and nobody can tell what types of o/b's you will/wont have. It's a wait and see game.

My very first o/b wasn't nice, but not so bad that i had to take med's and my further o/b's weren't all that often. Then when i went into my second year i began getting more and more o/b's just after ovulation.

I have read of some people who get them religiously after a period or just before a period. I think mine is going to have something to do with ovulation. I have no idea why this happens to some people and not to others. I have no idea how to get out of that type of particular cycle either.

Closed Thread