It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

jojo44 HB User
Unhappy what can i apply to genital sores to stop the pain?

Im having my second outbreak ever and i cant go to the doctor for the next few days, i was wondering if there is anything i could put on my genital area that is safe and will temporarily dull the pain. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
(female)

OGrtMaker HB User
Re: what can i apply to genital sores to stop the pain?

I am sorry you are in so much pain. There is some gel you can apply but it's by prescription (sorry, I can't think offhand what it is called). The problem, though, with applying gel or anything else is that it's better to not apply them because the sores will heal quicker if they are allowed to dry out (you want to keep them dry). When I am having a bad outbreak I try to be clothing-free down below as much as possible and let air get at the sores. I've also read after showers to use a hair dryer on a low setting to help the sores dry up. If you can get some Valtrex when you see the dr that will probably help the pain right away, too. Hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
(female)

jojo44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGrtMaker
I am sorry you are in so much pain. There is some gel you can apply but it's by prescription (sorry, I can't think offhand what it is called). The problem, though, with applying gel or anything else is that it's better to not apply them because the sores will heal quicker if they are allowed to dry out (you want to keep them dry). When I am having a bad outbreak I try to be clothing-free down below as much as possible and let air get at the sores. I've also read after showers to use a hair dryer on a low setting to help the sores dry up. If you can get some Valtrex when you see the dr that will probably help the pain right away, too. Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks so much for your advice, I will try everything you suggested! What makes it worse at the moment is that it is that time of month!! Once again thanks for your reply

Old 10-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
(female)

jojo44 HB User

i just wondered, you know if you get an ulcer in the mouth and you put salt directly on it it hurts like hell but heals quicker, could that happen with genital ulcers?

Old 10-26-2006, 01:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I always keep tea tree oil on hand which can be diluted to bathe the area and if i've had a very bad outbreak i've even put the tea tree oil on undiluted (depends where the o/b is ofcourse as tea tree can sting if applied undiluted to sensitive areas). I have found that tea tree kills off the itching and stinging feeling very effectively. You can also buy this product in cream form. I always carry it to work with me or when i travel so that i wont be caught unawares.

Hydrogen peroxide is another good one and it doesnt sting.

Depending what stage mine are in i have cut open a garlic gel capsule and dabbed the garlic oil onto the o/b.

Someone recently mentioned emu oil speeds up the recovery process.

I know of someone who uses methylated spirits too.

If the pain is so severe then perhaps you should take a pain killer to dull the pain.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
(male)

raseco HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo44
i just wondered, you know if you get an ulcer in the mouth and you put salt directly on it it hurts like hell but heals quicker, could that happen with genital ulcers?
lol...I took my daughter to the doctor several years ago for mouth ulcers. I told him I had her rinsing with salt water and he asked me.........what are you torturing her for? He said salt irritated the ulcers and would not help them heal in any way. So mom had been punishing me all those years!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
(female)

jojo44 HB User

Audrey - are you sure it will be ok to put tea tree oil on your labia?

Raseco - Well the salt on mouth ulcers always did the trick for me...but yes it did hurt alot, lol.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Tea tree is fine. If you are using it on sensitive areas, such as your labia or there abouts, then you need to dilute it a bit.

I get my o/b's at my anal area and i apply the tea tree to a cotton wool ball and apply the stuff on 100% straight. It stings me like mad for about 3 seconds but then the relief is total and utter bliss and i don't feel a single thing for the rest of the day. I then repeat this procedure in the evening. It stops the itching and stinging. During the day i do all my usual stuff and dont feel a thing.

Tea tree is useful for so many things and its a totally natural product and the bottle lasts quite a long time. Even if you have general itching in the vaginal area from such things as yeast infections or sweat or whatever else, bathing the area in dilute tea tree is nice and hygienic as it kills yeast, bacteria, doesnt disturb your PH balance and leaves you feeling nice and fresh down there.

You will have to experiment with how much you want to dilute the tea tree. I purchased the 100% pure one and it doesnt sting at all and i dont even dilute it, but i have one which isn't 100% and it does sting. My husband thinks the one which isn't 100% might sting due to other additives, who knows, just be careful and go easy until you know what is right for you.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #9
(female)

knoare HB User

How about salt water bathing ? ! ?
My doc recommended that I bath twice a day for about 10 mins and use chilled wet tea bags on the area. Gotta be cheaper than all these oils n stuff. Has any1 used this method, is it better, worse or a waste of time ? ? ?
Only recently been advised from the doctor i have herpes and still in shock trying to learn as much as possible.
Is there alot of people with this virus, seems to be on this site, but all from the U.S etc ( i'm from the U.K)

Last edited by knoare; 11-05-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm from Australia, but i think most people are from the USA on these boards. I don't think it matters as at the end of the day everybody wants relief from this virus and most products can be purchased from a supermarket or healthfood store. I've never purchased anything off the net.

As you can see in my previous post, i mostly love the tea tree oil. It doesn't cost much and you only need to dab a tiny bit of it onto the sore directly or you can dilute it with a bit of water and bathe the area with a cotton wool ball.

At the end of the day, if something is going to work for me and give me a heap of relief, i don't care if it is a little bit expensive as i know i'll be living with this for the rest of my life.

I have heard that salt water baths can help, but i don't know how long the relief lasts for. I know with the tea tree it gives me relief from morning till the night.

As for tea bags, you can give it a go, i do believe i've read something like that on here somewhere about a year or so ago. I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

The main thing is to keep experiementing and what works wonderfully for one might not work as well for another. Hope you find something that works for you.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User

Hydrogen Peroxide and aloe vera gel (the green stuff) seems to work for me....The peroxide is in an empty clean spray bottle and I blast my lower area, every time I use the restroom. Hope this helped and sorry that you're feeling bad. But, keep in mind herpes does get better with time. Also, boosting your immune system seems to keep the virus at bay (hibernation) as well...Good Luck & Feeel Better, -Orn

Old 11-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
(female)

knoare HB User

Thanks for your advice
I have tried tree tea oil already, luv the stuff too, but down below I've found it 2 drying, even when diluted, which interferes with my eczema Thankfully I've only had the 1 outbreak and that was enough to cope with, espeically when at work sitting down most of the day. Just wanna get myself prepared for the next episode, can't see myself being able to salt bathe or slap on tea bags whilst at work. Read about emu oil and now aloe vera, at least these would be most travel & work friendly

Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 AM   #13
(female)

yrfriend HB User

One thing that's nice in the shower is a *little* bit of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap- you can get it at any health food store. It's very refreshing. Just don't use too much or it can sting (similar to tea tree oil).

Old 12-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
(female)

yourspecialmiss HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGrtMaker
I totally agree with this. This works like a charm. It works even better if you put slices of garlic on the area. If my OB gets really bad, I bandage slice of garlic to the area with those tiny see-through bandages. Sounds crazy but it works .

Closed Thread