It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

red13 HB User
vitamins and herpes

is there anything in particular that i can tkae vitamin wise/natrual theraphy for herpes,im trying to decrease attacks.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
(female)

Lotuslilgrl HB User
Re: vitamins and herpes

Well Lysine is great. That is an amino acid. I take lots of vitamins. I think the best vitamins are Vit C, B-complex (because these work on your stressors, which stess is really bad for H), acidopholis, Calcium and Zinc when an outbreak is present. From what i read, all vitamins that keep your immunity in tact are the best...:O) Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
(female)

KiJo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by red13 View Post
is there anything in particular that i can tkae vitamin wise/natrual theraphy for herpes,im trying to decrease attacks.
Hi. I was actually just about to post a thread about this! I just had my very 1st outbreak & I thought it was over but ended up having sex a little too soon & immediatley started getting a blister. Of course I freaked out, but I had done my research & read a lot about taking ecchinacea at the 1st sign/symptom of an outbreak. So tha's what I did & the blister went away within 24 hours Ever since my diagnosis I started taking lysine, vitamin C, vitamn B complex, vitamin E, & a multi vitamin daily because these were also recommended to boost your immune system. I can't be sure whether it was ecchinacea or not that stopped the potential outbreak, but I know I'll be taking it for any future outbreaks!

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuslilgrl View Post
Well Lysine is great. That is an amino acid. I take lots of vitamins. I think the best vitamins are Vit C, B-complex (because these work on your stressors, which stess is really bad for H), acidopholis, Calcium and Zinc when an outbreak is present. From what i read, all vitamins that keep your immunity in tact are the best...:O) Hope that helps.
Pretty much what she said.

Let be elaborate a bit. Lysine the amino acid is known for its anti viral properties, you will get cold sores alot less often and when they do pop up will be smaller and heal quicker. With that said the amino acid arginine is viral promoting its very prominent in foods like nuts so you will want to avoid eating moderate to large quantites.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

red13.......what type of herpes? oral/genital, type1/2?

I find lysine excellent for oral herpes, but it does nothing for my genital type 2 herpes.

I too read recently that echinacea has been found to speed up the healing time of o/bs and in some people diminish the amount of o/b's. Mine have been occuring more and more just after ovulation and clear up before i get my period. I'm going to trial taking echinacea about a week before i ovulate and see how things go.

You shouldn't take echinacea daily for ever. You should only use it for about 2 weeks, then take a break of about 2 or 3 weeks, then use it for about 2 weeks again if you have too. Taking it daily and indefinitely can be dangerous for your health.

Astragalus is another great immune booster, but it has been found to have a certain natural chemical within it which can cause hair loss so that's one to stay away from i'd say!!

I have also read that dabbing a bit of red wine onto a sore helps it to clear up faster as the wine contains something called 'resveratrol', in particular wines from cooler or more humid climates.

Like the other posters said, anything of an immune boosting nature is good, so is quality sleep, reduce stress and anxiety, a healthy diet and some exercise as herpes tends to like a more acid environment which can be caused by stress or certain types of foods, so it's in your best interest to try and keep your body more 'alkaline' rather than 'acidic'.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
(female)

kkassel HB User

i heard lysine as well, I never started taking (nor to i teak suppressive therapy either) and i havent had another OB since my primary. So before you start doing (if your new to herpres that is) i'd wait and see if you really 'have' to take things to help.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
(female)

1 girl HB User

I heard about cimentidine on here also known as Tagment HB for heartburn. I believe it works ! I also take Lysine at least once a week and when ever I eat chocolates, drink coffee or eat nut products. I don't know which works, but others on this board have found it to be effective also. prayer and relaxation help just as much.

Closed Thread