It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

bfispos HB User
Question Question about transmission rates DURING an outbreak

I know that the transmission rate between an HSV-2 positive male and uninfected female when there is no active outbreak, condoms are NOT used and suppressive medicine is NOT used is about 10%. The converse female to male transmission rate is about 4%. Can anyone tell me what the transmission rate is between an HSV-2 positive male and an uninfected female when there IS an active outbreak?

I read somewhere that the likelihood of transmission is about 80% during an outbreak when condoms and suppressive medicines are not used (for M->F intercourse).

Old 02-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Question about transmission rates DURING an outbreak

I'm no expert and don't know any statistics so can only tell you what happened to me. My partner didn't tell me that he had type 2 genitally until 2 years into the relationship. He told me when he got his first o/b in 10yrs and said that he had forgotten all about his herpes.

When his o/b was a week old and had cleared up and you couldn't even see where he had had the o/b (was half way up his shaft) we still used a condom and about 2 months later i got my first o/b at my anal area, but we had not had anal sex either. Prior to that i had had no symptoms what so ever and i am pretty certain that that was the time i caught it off him.

I don't think you can simply go off statistics. I think it has a lot to do with your own health, immune system and who knows what else. Some people catch the virus and have symptoms within a couple of days, for others it's a week/s, month/s, years. Also the fact that we don't all get o/b's in the same areas as each other. Why is mine at my anal area when majority of females seem to have theirs at the vaginal area?

All in all, no matter what form of sex you are having and what sort of precautions you are taking if you are having sex with someone who has genital herpes then you can always expect to catch it rather than not catch it. There have been posters on here who have had long relationships and dont seem to show evidence of having caught it, but as i said, i think it depends more on the people involved and their physical makeup.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread