It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

maggiek671 HB User
Valtrex daily suppressive therapy for 4 years

Contracted herpes 2 in 2002 and have been taking 500 mg Valtrex daily since 2003. OB every 2 weeks for 6 months lead to suppressive therapy. Treating each OB was futile.

Have had liver test and am fine. I tried to stop before and had OB after 12 days. OB is severe each time with flu like symptoms. Too much stress in my life to ever stop Valtrex.
Get drugs via Canada so are cheaper. At least I don't OB and can live a somewhat normal life including sexual relations.
I would rather die due to continued medication than to suffer repeated OBs as they are severe and incapacitating.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
(female)

Princess05247 HB User
Re: Valtrex daily suppressive therapy for 4 years

Hi Maggie, I know what you are talking about. I have the same problem. Got herpes from my hubby in 2005 and have been on Valtrex. Started suppressive after about 6 months of breaking out every 2 weeks and also around my period. I couldn't function without the meds. I wish i didn't have to take it. My hubby only takes it when he feels stressed and some pain. But he doesn't hardly break out. Everyone is differen't with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
(female)

maggiek671 HB User

Have you been on daily Valtrex longer than 1 year?
It has only been tested on people got that length of time. Not sure of longer results. I am seeing a gyn next month and have to ask her if that's ok to do.
Even if she says it isn't, I will continue on my own.

Funny how women seem to get it from men, but of course, men must get it from women, but I never hear about that. I think most men are asymptomatic. The one that gave it to me was and still is! He still denies doing it but doesn't get tested. I don't interact with him anymore anyhow. Raging alcoholic...another story.

I dated a man for over a year and he never contracted it from me. I love that Valtrex!

Only cavaet, when you first start taking it, it can (and did to me) give one awful stomach pains, much like hunger pangs. Went away after several weeks and has never returned. Is still worth it in the long run.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

Yes i have been on it for over a year. My doc doesn't have any problem with it. I did stop and start it a couple times to see if i would still have the same outbreaks and i did. Last month i did have an outbreak even on the suppressive. I'm having other health issues (digestive problems) so i don't know if that is making it worse. My hubby cheated on me and got it from a women from a one night stand. The odds of that! I was pretty devasted after 24 years of marriage. Going my whole marriage and then getting a std. The last 2 years have been pretty rough. We are still working on our marriage but it is getting better.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
(female)

lostandbroken HB User

I think you're right about the males not contracting it!!
I had my initial outbreak and I questioned the boyfriend about it (only the 2nd person I've ever slept with!). He went to his last girlfriend and she admitted to him that she had herpes. He has had it for at least a year and never known about it. Lucky guys.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree, a lot of males out there dont get as many o/b's as females do and their o/b's seem to be a lot simpler and clear up faster. My partner had only had 5 o/b's in 20yrs and in the last 10 of those 20 yrs he had only had the one o/b. How's that for luck!!!!

I simply think that women stress about so much stuff in their daily lives and then our hormones are always going in all directions b/c of our periods or menopause, a lot of women are on the pill which causes a lack of certain vitamins, which can lead to a lower immune system etc etc.

I have mentioned in a few threads how i began to get THE most regular o/b's right after ovulation. I decided to trial tacking echinacea in liquid form to boost my immune system and oddly enough last month i did not get my usual o/b. Now this is either coincidence or the echinacea working. I will do the same this month and then the following month i wont take the echinacea and i'll see what happens. There has to be a better answer to all this than simply taking drugs for the rest of my life.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
(female)

maggiek671 HB User

That sounds like a great idea.
I still take the Valtrex everyday and feel like I'll have to the rest of my life.

Closed Thread