It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
(male)

wellthissux HB User
Antiviral Gel

Has anyone heard of these antiviral gels made from red seaweed? I read about them on the web and apparently they are supposed to be very effective in preventing transmission of many types of viruses (HSV, HPV, and even HIV). One of the products is in the very final stages of FDA approval and is due to come out next month (March 2007), according to one source I found. I did a search on the board and didn't come up with anything.

I ask because I have HSV II (first OB was June of 2006) but to my knowledge I have not had any outbreaks since then. So I have had no symptoms for about 7 months in my first year of infection. I almost did not believe I really had it until I got blood tested and it returned positive. So I would like to have sex again sometime within my lifetime I am on the fence about Valtrex since I haven't had any outbreaks and I'm afraid that it might weaken my body's natural defense against the virus (plus it's expensive), however I also would like the benefit of decreasing the possibility of viral shedding.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone knows anything more about this antiviral gel, if I should get a prescription for Valtrex, and what other precautions I should take (besides the obvious use of condoms). I just want to be as safe as possible.

And does anyone know anything about this damned vaccination that has supposedly been due to come out for some time now? When can we expect a product to hit the market? All of the articles I have read were from like 2001 and according to them it should be done by now! I figure it should be following the HPV vaccination, right?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User
Re: Antiviral Gel

No I haven't heard of this gel but I have heard of people taking this in a pill form. I guess if they sold it at VW where I buy all my suppliments then I'd try it but I haven't found it to be readily available. But thanks for mentioning it, I'll check it out. It is maddening to know they can create a vaccination for HPV seemingly in record time(I'm sure it was years in the making though) since HPV can cause cancer but yet nothing to prevent HSV because it really does nothing except make us feel like lepers. But wouldn't it be nice to be able to give a baby a vaccination to prevent it from a lifetime of embarrassing cold sores or the agony and humiliation of genital herpes.

As far as you taking Valtrex to prevent viral shedding...well since we do not have any way of telling when and/or if we are shedding and Valtrex isn't 100%then really...why take it? Even if you take it, you still have to warn your partner and you still have a chance of spreading it to someone. You aren't having any OBs so personally I wouldn't take it but i suppose it's easy for me to say because my partner and I both have it so it's not that big of a deal.

Closed Thread