It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
(male)

xmexx HB User
Can Herpes live outside the body?

If someone has an ourbreak of hsv1 on their mouth area go and touch their outbreak and then go and touch a door knob, a file cabinet handle, a pen, press a button on a copy machine, or whatever object it may be and then someone comes behind them and touches that same object that person just touched and then touch their mouth/eye/nose and get it?

OR

If a person has an outbreak on their mouth area and just touches it, because, lets say, it itches, and then right after shakes your hand and you then touch your mouth area. Can this cause for you to get it?

Now another question?

If you already have HSV1 and this happen to you, will this cause for you to have an outbreak or because you already have the virus, nothing will happen to you?

If a person already has HSV1, does coming in contact with the virus cause you to have an outbreak?

How long can it possibly live outside of the body? How long will it last on that persons finger or hand, whatever he touched the open lesion with?

I know this is long so I hope someone can answer this.

thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Can Herpes live outside the body?

Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but from what i've read about tests done on drinking cups, towels and other such stuff it would be extremely unlikely that it could be passed on. Even damp towels were difficult in keeping the virus alive, but is more possible than a towel which had dried out.

As for office equipment, i'd say it would be virtually impossible, but then again you simply dont know. I work in an office environment and i also deal with the public and i always make a habit of never touching my face unless i have washed my hands.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
(male)

inforeadfrommsf HB User

According to MSF(a famous an serious international Docs Association) HSV1 can live up to 3 hours on porous objects and up to 4 hours on solid objects. However it is not exactly known what concentration of the virus is necessary for an actual transmisson to take place.

Nevertheless in serveral cases it has been proven that people have contracted the virus by drinking in the same glass or sharing eating ustencils, being that the virus can be present in saliva at all times but in a more important amounts when an actual sore is present, or just before / just after it is present.

Thus, as a precaution it is recommanded you use good common hygiene sense.

Always wash your hands properly before eating. If you can, make sure you know where things that you bring to your mouth have been during the past 4 hours.

Never kiss someone who has a sore of course, or never kiss someone if you have a cold sore: It wouln't be a nice thing to do, spreading the virus by transmitting it to your children in that way for example.

As for towels and tooth brushes, they are objects that just should never be shared as a mesure of precaution.

Of course if you have a cold sore and you rub it or spit all over your hands before you caress intimate parts of the body, you are taking a greater risk of spreading the virus than is you take the precaution of washing your hands with a good soap lotion or an at least 80 % Alcohol solution for 1 to 5 mins and caress your partner with dry hands without touching your moush area.

Hope this information helps.

Regards

PS: Good hygiene, respect of others and yourself and abstinence until you have truly found that special someone remains the best way to go, if you want to stay clear of the numerous frustrations linked to HSV-1 and HSV-2. I'm certain over the past 100 years many people wish they had known how easily the virus can spread, unfortunately our societes had until recently done a poor job at informing the public about HSV -1 and HSV-2 which explains that these viruses have become amongst the most rapidly spread virus in the last 10 to 30 years.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

mother2another HB User

viruses last the longest on hard objects, such as a door knob, faucet handle, keyboard, etc. some times up to 8 hours! but on soft surfaces like towels, pillows and clothes, they have much shorter life; typically 15 minutes, but somtimes as long as 2 hours.

Just don't take any risks!

Wash your hands after shopping, work, etc. after using the bathroom and ALWAYS before eating or touching your face or genitals.

And use toilet seat covers or avoid sitting down. If there are no covers, usually squat/hover above the seat or lay toilet paper over it if I really need to sit.

Closed Thread