It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

dghterofchrist HB User
Do Acid Foods/Drinks Cause Anyone to Have Outbreaks?

I was wondering if anyone has found that when they eat or drink too many acidic things that they have outbreaks. It seems like my immune system is very low, but when I try to eat like oranges, drink orange juice, or take Vitamin C's too much, I get an outbreak. Does this happen for anyone else? I do have kind of a more rare story of how I got my herpes, and I'm curious if this might be part of my problems. Here it is:

This is what happened to me, at about the age of 4 moths old (I am now almost 23 years old) I was being taken care of by a babysitter that had fever blisters and must have touched an open outbreak on her mouth before changing my diaper, hence transferring them to me. I was told that my first outbreak was all over my body, including my hands and like the bottoms of my feet and such. Today, I only ever get them in the genital area, both front and back.

All of this has been very hard for me, because to this day I do not know if I have type 1 or 2. Doctors seem so hesitant to test things. I have just been told I have herpes. And unfortunately, when I have an outbreak that could be tested, it usually falls on the weekends when doctors are not there. My biggest struggle is because nothing seems to work for me. I have literally tried every medication out there from creams, to daily pills, to pills taken only when outbreaks occur. I have tried all kinds from Famvir to Valtrex to all the generic brands. Nothing seems to work for me. I even tried taking this like algae pills that I heard may possibly reduce or end all outbreaks. Nothing works and it is very frustrating.

With my situation and not being able to find something that works for me, I would be curious to know if I actually had type 1 or 2. Unfortunately, doctors seem to just ignore my requests. It's like they look at you and say you have herpes, what more do you want? I also feel it is very frustrating that after at least 22 years for me, no one has come up with that great of help. I feel like people ignore herpes when it comes to medical research because it is not a life threatening disease!

I was also wondering if anyone else seems to have a pattern to their outbreaks. I know they say that like stress, lack of sleep, and being out in the sun too much could possibly bring on outbreaks, but my outbreaks seem to follow a pattern and maybe this is why I can't find any medication that works for me. It seems like I will get an outbreak and then like a week later I will get another outbreak, and then I won't have one for like 3 or 4 months, and then the cycle starts all over again. Does anyone else have this happen?

Also, I can't seem to be able to tell when my outbreaks are going to occur until they are actually there. I don't know if it's because my body is used to it since I have had herpes since I was a baby??? Does anyone know? I know they say that like you will feel possibly tingling and such before an outbreak, but I NEVER have this feeling. If anyone has any information on any of this please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

Lizzy Day HB User
Re: Do Acid Foods/Drinks Cause Anyone to Have Outbreaks?

Hi dghterofchrist, I can totally relate to your frustration at the lack of help and understanding from doctors. I was misdiagnosed for years and eventually swabbed last year. They called me at work with the results (open plan office, not very nice, was in total shock). I cried when I went to see doc cause I thought I'd have to inform previous sexual partners and I was ashamed and was generally upset. I don't know where I got it as I'd been with my previous partner for 4 years and when we had an upsetting stressful split, bang there it was, to my knowledge this guy didn't cheat and I don't think he's got it but I havent asked. Anyway the docs like what's your problem it's not on your genitals it's no big deal, you don't need to inform previouse partners just keep area covered when it's blistered and don't let your current partner come into contact with it.

It's stress that does it for me, I'v not noticed any other triggers, and like you I get it week after week sometimes and then not for quite a few months. I get a dull pain in my leg and tingling which usually leads to and OB. I'v got an ache now and am going through sum sever stressful stuff (home/work) and I'm waiting for it to develope but so far no sign of redness. Have you asked your doc about getting no warning signs?

I really sympathise with you that you get it in such a sensitive area and also at such a young age through unfortunate circumstances. I can only tell you that I treated my last OB with manuka honey cream, it's a bit sticky but as my leg pain would usually have developed into something by now I'm hoping that this is working for me as the drugs made things worse and made me feel very sick. Have you researched on the web re acidic triggers. I think you should demand a test from your doc, ask for the exact reasons for his reluctance. Be persistent, the squeaky wheel gets oiled. Best of luck to you I hope you get some answers soon.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

lysinelover HB User
Re: Do Acid Foods/Drinks Cause Anyone to Have Outbreaks?

I haven't noticed anything from citrus fruits, but anything with lots of Arginine seems to get me every time- chocolate, nuts, sesame seeds etc.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-12-2007 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information".

Closed Thread