It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

rejoice2dayj HB User
How much Lysine is safe to take?

I have been experiencing a lot of OB's. I have a doc. appt. next week.

Meanwhile, I've been experimenting with lysine and yes, it does shorten the recovery time. Yeah!!!

When I am having an outbreak I've been taking two 500 mg. lysine tablets in the morning and another two later in the day (total of 4, or 2 grams I think). I have read that I can take up to six tablets (actually I think it was 6 grams), but I am afraid to. It just seems like A LOT. I haven't experienced any bad effects.

I've also read Vit. C is good. I tend to take it with that. So far have had 1000 mg. of that today (+ what was in my multivitamin). Can I take another 1000 mg. before bed?

I felt an OB coming on the other day (genitally) so have used my Zovirax ointment with the lysine and I'm pretty well cleared up. But now today I'm feeling the tingling a little bit on my back (I get it there also) and wondering if I shouldn't just take my Valtrex. I soooooo don't want to wake up in the morning with a full blown OB on my back.

I am sooooooooo trying to get off this medication and train my body to ward it off without having to use oral drugs.

What do you think? Thanks!

Last edited by rejoice2dayj; 03-08-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
(male)

BraveKnave HB User
Re: How much Lysine is safe to take?

I don't about the lysine. I just startede using it today. But i used to take 3000 mg of vit. C a day did it for years and it never hurt me as for as I know. I don't think there's any problem at all with 2000 a day. God Bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User

I did read somewhere that mega doses of vitamin supplements can in the long run hurt the liver. may be u cud supplement with vit C rich foods like citrus fruits, lemons, chillies etc.........which are better absorbed by the body anyway than supplements....

Old 03-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
(male)

bcool HB User

hi overitall,

I take many vitamins also but not as much as you. Since taking all this have had an outbreak. In addition, can I ask what hsv you have and you age please. I think you advice is great and must get on to it.
Thanks for the information.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
(male)

overitall HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcool View Post
hi overitall,

I take many vitamins also but not as much as you. Since taking all this have had an outbreak. In addition, can I ask what hsv you have and you age please. I think you advice is great and must get on to it.
Thanks for the information.
hey bcool
i am trying this:
so my doc told me to start taking l-lysine and vit c and zinc
so here's what i take

Super Lysine+ Caps
contains
100mg vit C
l-lysine 1500 mgs
garlic bulb 200mgs
echinacea 100 mgs
propolis 25mgs
licorice root 15 mgs
goldenseal root 15 mgs

you take 3 capsules on an empthy stomach daily

also RMA
red marine algae (rhodocept) 540 mgs and 1 capsule daily. oh and a hint... buy it online it way too expensive in stores 25 bucks a bottle

also i take an additional l-lysine 500mg tab

so its 5 caps a day
then a multi-V(antioxident formula) with a meal and an r-alpha lopic acid

i eat well, i do eat peanut butter because i dont eat meat only occassional fish
and i do go tanning

i was told lemon balm is the best clinically when applied directly to the cold sore or direct l-lysine
and i use a tea tree body wash because it has so many properties. anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti viral
tea tree smells like dirt but some bodywashs which are organic and all natural smells really nice actually
hope it helped BCOOL

Last edited by overitall; 03-27-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: text change

Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
(male)

overitall HB User

Well my expirence with vit c hasnt been so great, too much vit C causes kidney stones
and i passed one the size of a domestic house cat which was soooo horrible!!!!

so now im really careful not to over do it, as my doctor said its possible and could be a cause and besides i have an extra kidney i was born with so its possible my system could be different than yours.
but reading online it is true about vit C and kidney stones, and for some weird reason so is us veggie eaters. were prone to stones.

it wont harm your liver from what i read.
hope that helps

Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
(male)

overitall HB User

from what i know vit C does help
and there isnt too much info on side effects of lysine that i found besides upset stomach
you can research... alot of the lysine you take converts as most amino acids do to other molecules when being digested.
But i hear it really is the best to shorten outbreaks by 1/2.
i take 3000 a day
how much is absorbed is another question

Old 03-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

I read just recently that at least 1250 a day for lysine to be anykind of effective.Take care.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
(male)

overitall HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyshop1 View Post
I read just recently that at least 1250 a day for lysine to be anykind of effective.Take care.
yup i agree, if you follow the absorbtion of lysine it get converted to glutamine naturally so you dont ever really get all the lysine you actually take
they also say its effective for hsv1 more so
men have better luck with it and hsv2
thats what i read

Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
(female)

PatrioticLady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by overitall View Post
hey bcool
i am trying this:
so my doc told me to start taking l-lysine and vit c and zinc
so here's what i take

Super Lysine+ Caps
contains
100mg vit C
l-lysine 1500 mgs
garlic bulb 200mgs
echinacea 100 mgs
propolis 25mgs
licorice root 15 mgs
goldenseal root 15 mgs

you take 3 capsules on an empthy stomach daily

also RMA
red marine algae (rhodocept) 540 mgs and 1 capsule daily. oh and a hint... buy it online it way too expensive in stores 25 bucks a bottle

also i take an additional l-lysine 500mg tab

so its 5 caps a day
then a multi-V(antioxident formula) with a meal and an r-alpha lopic acid

i eat well, i do eat peanut butter because i dont eat meat only occassional fish
and i do go tanning

i was told lemon balm is the best clinically when applied directly to the cold sore or direct l-lysine
and i use a tea tree body wash because it has so many properties. anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti viral
tea tree smells like dirt but some bodywashs which are organic and all natural smells really nice actually
hope it helped BCOOL
Where do you get the super L-Lysine do you get that at most health food stores or is there somewhere online that you get stuff? Thanks for all the info I really would like to try a natural approach to this before trying the daily valtrex.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
(male)

overitall HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticLady View Post
Where do you get the super L-Lysine do you get that at most health food stores or is there somewhere online that you get stuff? Thanks for all the info I really would like to try a natural approach to this before trying the daily valtrex.

i found it in my whole foods grocery store. Its not so bad, and it has garlic in it, but its odorless which is cool too so the breath dont stink.
since the doctor found this in a blood test, i have been trying everything to not get an outbreak cause i have never had one. everything from that liquid oxygen stuff (which i really didnt notice anything and my doc called fly-by night and not to trust it)

so good luck the other stuff i found on the net just surfing away doing research
good luck

Last edited by Administrator; 08-20-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
(female)

PatrioticLady HB User
Thumbs up Re: How much Lysine is safe to take?

Thank you so much, I wish I had never had an outbreak but I hear guys get them less so I hope you never have to have one they are horrible. The Valtrex cured the OB but I dont have insurance and dont want to be on a prescription for the rest of my life and my mom takes lysine because if she doesnt she gets cold sores. So she gave me a bottle and I think it actually staved off an ob when my period started this month because I felt tingling but nothing else. This board has been so great thanks everyone!

Last edited by Administrator; 08-20-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Closed Thread