It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

Jaci25 HB User
Valtrex for Suppression

Well I wrote a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to try to beat my herpes by taking care of myself, watching what I eat, supplementing with vitamins & lysine, etc. Well it isn't working!!!

I just keep breaking out. I treat, stop the Valtrex, and the H comes back.

I called Glaxosmithklein, who suggested maybe I should take Valtrex suppressively 1g daily. Monday I had an OB (which is why I called Glaxo), so I began taking the 1g. It's not working for me.... meaning that it isn't "treating" the OB. I do better on 500mg twice daily I guess, bc at least when I take it that way it knocks the symptoms out of me and I'm feeling pretty good. Taking the 1g as I have the last two days, I feel really crappy!

So... tomorrow I am planning on just taking a 500mg in the morning and the second one later in the day, and I'll do this for 3 days (as treatment of my current OB).

After that I'd like to take the 1g daily (at least to try it) but gosh, I'm not sure if that way is going to be best for me.

How do you take Valtrex suppressively?
Did you before Valtrex have a lot of outbreaks?
I experience A LOT of OB's. I wish I could find something besides the medicine to work for me, but so far I haven't been able to. My doctor thinks it's my personality, bc I'm very much a type A.... happy, extroverted, thinking all the time type of person.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
(male)

BurnedByAnAngel HB User
Re: Valtrex for Suppression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci25 View Post
How do you take Valtrex suppressively?
Did you before Valtrex have a lot of outbreaks?
I experience A LOT of OB's. I wish I could find something besides the medicine to work for me, but so far I haven't been able to. My doctor thinks it's my personality, bc I'm very much a type A.... happy, extroverted, thinking all the time type of person.
Suppressive therapy means you take valtrex (2 500mg tablets or 1 1000mg tablet) daily for either 6 months to a 1 year to see if symptoms and outbreaks decrease. If not you can take that amount indefinitely if your doctor will let you. Depends on the doctor. I had one doctor who down right refused to write me a prescription because I didnt have "enough" outbreaks in a year in his opinion. Then I had another who was very willing to write me a suppresive prescription, all I had to do was ask. Weird. Guess there's confusion in the professional community.

Whats a lot? I have one every one or two months. But Ive gone as long as 6 months to a year also. I get them when Im stressing out.

Honestly, nothing has been as effective as Valtrex for me. I do take 1000g of vitamin C when I think im about to have an outbreak or during and that seems to help. I use hydrogen peroxide on the area also.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread