It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User
Zinc Oxide 20%

I just wanted to let people know that I have had more success with using Zinc Oxide than any other topical treatment for GH!! Just go to Walmart drug section and over by the poison ivy treatments you will find a 20% cream. I am plagued with the itchy rash type sores that appear on my buttocks and hips and itch oh sooo horribly just like poison ivy! I have used everything I can think of to put on these rashes with no success...they usually last for over a month but if I put zinc on them right away they will usually just go away and not develope into a big rash. HTH someone!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
(female)

PatrioticLady HB User
Re: Zinc Oxide 20%

Thanks that is good to know I have developed a wierd eczema type rash on my foot that I am told could be a form of yeast infection on my skin maybe I will try the zinc on it because nothing else is making it go away completely

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Do you have GH? It's possible that this rash is HSV2...I have gotten it in the strangest places...wrist, finger, leg, back etc...

Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

bleigh HB User

I was just searching to see if anyone has posted on using zinc oxide for outbreaks. Hopefully others will try it as it has helped me so much with my outbreaks. You can also use Desitin or other baby rash cream if you don't have anything else. Helps with the tingly, irritated leg sensation too. Also, taking a really hot bath helps as well. Best to do these treatments as soon as you notice and OB coming on, but is helpful during anytime of an OB. Also, have used virgin coconut oil....seemed to be somewhat of a relief.
Hopefully this will help someone out there.....

Old 05-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I just bought the plain old Zinc Oxide because it had the highest amount of active ingredient but the diaper rash stuff was weaker. It really does work wonders...for me anyway!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
(female)

susie1 HB User

Are you using zinc oxide for genital herpes or oral herpes..would really like to know

Old 07-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Oceanus HB User

I did some reading online about small experiments done using zinc to treat oral and genital herpes. The studies shortened the duration of outbreaks and if zinc was used for extended periods of time recurrences were reduced and some people didn't experience any further outbreaks during the study period (sometimes a year or two they were followed).

But zinc oxide they found does NOT work because it doesn't harm the skin or the virus. What you should be using is a aqueous solution of zinc sulfate (one used4&#37, but be careful because zinc sulfate can cause burning and ulcers to occur and irritate the skin because it's so strong. What was recommended instead by the writer, and should work just as well, is zinc gluconate. I don't know yet where you can buy either of those. I just read about it online today.

One man who tried to do something similar to the studies said he mixed 1 tsp of zinc gluconate with 50mL of hot tap water and stirred it until it dissolved and applied the mixture to an open sore (he would pop open the blisters) or prodrome site for 15 min, keeping the area wet so it wouldn't burn his skin. He did this 1x/day for 3 months and 2x/day during an outbreak. It doesn't work to apply to the skin area if the skin is in the healing stage (e.g. scabbing), so try to do it within the first 48 hours of an outbreak. He said his outbreaks have decreased significantly in duration (3-5 days instead of 2 weeks, and much smaller sores). He said he suffered from constant and severe outbreaks and then after the 3 months he'd get an OB only once in 4-5 months. He said he was going to continue doing his regime, but try the zinc sulfate instead because that's what the studies all used. I think it's worth trying. After all, there aren't going to be any huge studies done using zinc because you can't put a patent on it and therefore no big advertisements or endorsements of it because drug companies can't get rich from it and the FDA doesn't endorse anything that can't be patented.

One study cited had participants put on a wet dressing of zinc sulfate for 1 hour 4x/day for 4 days. That helped heal OBs within 9.5 days compared to 16 days with other treatments. I think the best thing would be to do is use the zinc gluconate or sulfate (be careful as it can hurt the skin and cause scarring, so mix with water) everyday 1-2x/day and more during OBs and do this for at least 3 months and keep doing it if you see good results. I think I may try to do this.

Last edited by Oceanus; 07-28-2007 at 01:04 PM.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
(female)

susie1 HB User

thanks for taking the time to address my question. Something I read several times is that keeping the area that has an ob dry is preferred rather than using creams or ointments...they tend not to stay put. Clove oil and cornstarch are recommende on several sites...to keep the ob area dry. Trying to figure a way to stay on top these obs feels like a full time job...without pay. Again, thanks for the info.

Closed Thread