It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
(female)

GirlinTexas HB User
Swollen Lymph Node PLEASE HELP!

I have had genital herpes for about 7 months now. I noticed about 3 months ago that I had a swollen lymph node in my groin area. My doctor wanted me to see a general surgeon about this. When I went to him, he recommended that I have it removed. Since then I have been doing some research on it and it turns out that this is a common system of herpes. If I remove the lymph node, with it being a common symptom of herpes, will another lymph node just become swollen in its place?

Please help!

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
(female)

jaylite HB User
Re: Swollen Lymph Node PLEASE HELP!

Hey Girl,
I just read your post and got really worried for you! I was diagnosed with genital HSV-1 about a year and 1/2 ago and only had one outbreak (Thank god) but my symptom at that time was definite lymph node swelling in the groin - it was really uncomfortable and kind of grossed me out... About a year ago, my lymph node began to swell again in that area, which made me assume that I was going to get another outbreak, but the outbreak never came. The lymph nodes are there to combat and fight the infection and it worries me that your general surgeon wants to remove yours... I have no expertise on telling you what to do, but I would definitely seek a second opinion before having something like that done.

My gynecologist during the time I was diagnosed was a holistic doctor and she told me it was a good thing that the lymph nodes were swollen since they were working properly. I also looked online for an herbal remedy called "Lymphatone" which worked great for me - I actually felt them get less swollen each time I took some. You can do a search for it to see exactly what it does for the lymphatic system but I really recommend trying it before you would go ahed with getting it surgically removed.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
(female)

peacefrog HB User

I agree! The swollen gland was always a sign to slow down and be careful because it always came before an outbreak. I can't imagine why they would want to remove something because its doing exactly what its designed to do.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User
Re: Swollen Lymph Node PLEASE HELP! (related ??)

A related question -

I've just FINISHED my first outbreak of genital herpes. I had no pain, swelling etc. About 4 days from finishing my 10 day course of Valtrex, I noticed a painful spot. I don't know if this is the lymph node or not. It's right where my leg meets my pelvis, kind of in that crease. It is only swollen on one side. It isn't incredibly painful, but it has increased in size and severity of pain in the last 4 days.

I'm reading here that lymph nodes PRECEDE an outbreak. Does it make sense that (if this is the lymph node), that it would be swelling now??? The outbreak seems to be over, everything is cleared up, and I have been off Valtrex now for 36 hours.

Thank

Old 07-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Oceanus HB User

You should NOT be concerned about lymph nodes swelling. It's a very good sign that your body is recognizing the virus as an intruder and getting ready for battle. Lymph nodes are part of your immune system. I had one swell up in the same area you are referring to in the groin area and it eventually went away. I was happy to know that my body was doing something to hopefully eventually put a stop to the outbreak. I would not be worried nor would I have it removed! It's like when your tonsils get swollen during a throat infection. Tonsils are lymph nodes too and are part of the immune system response. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it, lol!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

Hi Oceanus -

I see lots of posts on this site, and you (along with many others) seem to be very well informed. My problem is that I'm brand new at this!!

I didn't even know I had lymph nodes in my groin, so I wasn't sure that's what I was even feeling before I saw this thread. Because a previous comment said that they swell BEFORE an outbreak, it just seemed strange that it would swell up AFTER.

That being said, I have a healthy respect for my body, and have seen on many other occasions how it is designed to heal itself in the most unexpected ways. I would never consider removing something that's supposed to be there, unless it was permanently diseased!! I think that lots of people should consider the fact that every part of our body is related and is there for a purpose. Point in fact, I once had kidney stones and they were related to my psoraisis!!

Anyway, as this seems to be a normal thing, I won't worry too much. Now that the outbreak has gone away, how long until the lymph node diminishes again? My 3 year old accidentally bumped me there this morning, and it was JUST a bit sensitive!! :-)

Thanks

Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Oceanus HB User

I encourage everyone to read up as much as they can online about herpes because being informed will prepare you for what to expect, so you won't be as concerned or surprised by your symptoms. Swollen glands and lymph nodes in the groin area is a common part of a first episode. And remember a first episode can go on and on and on for weeks. It's different for everyone. I had symptoms of herpes well before I had a swollen lymph node, so it can happen after you get sores and all the other symptoms first. First you get sick, then the body responds by making antibodies to the invaders.

When I got the one nodular bump in my groin I wasn't surprised because I had read that is what often happens. Yes, it will be a little sensitive, but mine wasn't much, but I didn't play with it much either. Lymph glands and nodes carry toxins out of the body and are where some of your white blood cells are made (i.e. immune system cells like T-cells). This is a perfect chance for people to learn something about how their body works. I'm in the health field, so maybe I'm just a little bit more knowledgeable and aware of how the body functions. It is quite amazing and complicated. I don't remember how long I had the swollen gland, maybe a couple weeks. I think the swollen gland is a great sign that your body is responding and working properly. I wish mine had stayed swollen longer, as maybe I'd be having fewer outbreaks in the long-run now.

I'm about to try rubbing zinc gluconate mixed with water (make into a paste) onto ob sites (15min at a time) and do that daily for 3 months to see if it diminishes my outbreaks. I read zinc is an antiviral and the gluconate form is the best. I've read two people online say it helped them reduce their number of OBs significantly.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

Thanks.

It seems that there are many people on this site who suffer considerably from constant, painful outbreaks. Although that's not a good thing for you, I will take advantage of your experience and consider myself lucky for the resource.

Lucky also in that the most irritating thing about this has been the lymph node - no other undue pain or irritation!! Let's hope I can fend this off and prevent further outbreaks in future.

Cheers!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Oceanus HB User

This might be helpful....I just read online that St. John's Wort in liquid form, applied onto swollen lymph nodes may help relieve them.

Last edited by Oceanus; 07-29-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Closed Thread