It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

kkunsure HB User
Question Can A Dr. Tell How Long You've Had Herpes?

I know someone that recently went to her OBGYN and her Dr. told her that with the blood test and the culture test done she'll be able to tell her how long she's had herpes if in fact that is what it is?

Is this right? Can they really tell you how long you've had herpes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
(male)

over21 HB User
Re: Can A Dr. Tell How Long You've Had Herpes?

In general you can not tell how long you've had herpes.

Here are some general rules/comments:
If you have a positive culture test and a negative blood test, then a blood retest at 16 weeks returns a positive result; that's proof the infection is recent.

With a single positive blood test, you can not tell how long you've been infected.

If you have a negative blood test, and then a positive blood test, the infection occurred roughly between the two dates of blood testing. That first test is know as a base line test (if it's negative).

Above all, a positive IgM test does not mean a recent infection. A positive IgM test means nothing, and so does a negative IgM test. It's a worthless test.

Last edited by over21; 07-29-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

kkunsure HB User

So the only way to tell is by a blood test?

Thank you soooo much!

Old 07-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

kkunsure HB User

If I have not had an outbreak but my partner thinks that he is can I still get a blood test done that will show me that I did have it or do have it? I am just wondering about the connection between the OB its self and the blood test. I want to know for sure but do I have ot have an OB to know that I have herpes.

I feel stupid asking some of these questions but the quick replys are very nice and helpful

thank you

Closed Thread