It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
(male)

GT2 HB User
Herpes and Vitamin C

Hello

I've been suffering from herpes for some years and recently it has become much worse - one outbreak follows another and the area under my foreskin is covered with sores - very painful.

I have a good diet and am in reasonable health; I avoid chocolate and excessive alcohol . However, I have recently heard that vitamin C can aggravate herpes. This surprises me because I thought it would help it and eat lots of fresh fruit and the occasional Vit C tablet.

So, can any confirm whether or not this is actually true? And, if it is, should I be cutting right down on the fruit intake (which seems odd when it's meant to be healthy!)?

Also, any other advice on conquering this problem?

Thanks

Old 09-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
(male)

GT2 HB User
Re: Herpes and Vitamin C

A worrying lack of response. It that because I'm a male on a mostly female board?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

Hey -

I'm not one to answer the diet questions - it's not a route I've followed personally. However, a recent post said that citrus was bad. Not Vitamin C - citrus. This is because of the high arginine content, which I guess is bad for outbreaks.

Why don't you search the board for Arginine - that might give you more information.

I don't think your lack of response has anything to do with your being male. Probably the right people just haven't logged on in the last 24 hours!!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I have never heard of the Vitamin C connection.

I have for quite a few months had to up my vitamin C, so have been drinking pure orange juice and eating more fruits with high C contents due to my iron levels being low and Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron from the food i eat. I have actually noticed less o/b's and i was getting them every single month like clockwork.

I'd say i'm getting less due to my iron levels having gone up, which means my immune system is strong too, but i can't say i have been affected adversely by foods with high Vit C.

Have you tried taking Lysine supplements as they are beneficial for oral herpes and some people with genital herpes say it has helped them.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
(male)

GT2 HB User

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a good look through this board and there is no conclusive answer, although some say that foods with Arginine in (can't work out if this includes oranges but it does seem to be in a lot of everyday food) is a problem.

Closed Thread