It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User
can herpes cause cervical cancer ?

I read something on a medical website that was disturbing : It said that
genital herpes can cause cancer of the cervix !!
what my understanding previously was, was that herpes increases the risk for this cancer in the presence of the std HPV when the HPV strain is an oncogenic variety.

Does anyone know if just herpes by itself can cause cervical cancer ?

"Upset"

Old 09-11-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: can herpes cause cervical cancer ?

I'm no expert, but from my limited reading i doubt herpes on it's own would actually cause cancer of the cervix. I recently had to do a colposcopy as my regular pap smears just weren't getting results and they gave me a detailed information booklet.

The booklet mentions HPV a lot of times, but only mentioned herpes once and that was to say that just b/c you have HPV it doesn't mean you have herpes. I would think if people with herpes were at a higher risk of cervical cancer they would mention it in the literature as quite a high amount of the population has genital herpes.

At a guess, perhaps herpes which constantly o/b's on your cervix might affect the delicate tissue of the cervix and become an irritant, but then cancer of the cervix moves quite slowly and if you have regular pap tests they would catch it quite fast.

The booklet goes on to mention some key facts:

1 HPV is a virus, which not even condoms can protect you from this virus and there are 100 variations of it, of which only certain varieties can cause cancer of the cervix.

2 Anybody who has had sex can have HPV, it's very common and 4 out of 5 people who have had sex can have HPV.

3 Most cases of HPV clear up on their own after 1 or 2yrs.

4 In rare cases if its not detected it can lead to cancer, but takes about 10yrs.

5 Pap tests every 2yrs can detect HPV, which can be monitored/treated to prevent cancer.

The net might have more info, but i'd be careful as often when you do research on a certain topic various sites on the net will give slightly varying info or word it in a way that makes you interpret it differently. Otherwise, perhaps somebody else on the boards has more knowledge regarding herpes and cervical cancer. I'd not stress though, i only ever visit a sexual health clinic for all my 'womens' issues and they have never seen herpes as an issue when it comes to my pap tests.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User

Audrey-B : thank you so much for your reply..I appreciate it ! That is why I like this board...it always feels nice when somebody responds to one's queries that might be upsetting them........

Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User

I believe it all depends on the strength of our bodies immune system. The stronger it is, the less susceptible we are to illnesses and viruses. That's why it's important to eat healthy, exercise and rest. Vitamin & supplements can help boost our immunities. People with lessened immune systems are more liable to infections and viruses. Also, having a viral condition (ie: herpes & HPV) weakens the immune system, therefore making us more susceptible to other viruses. So, us (especially) need to build stronger immune systems to increases our bodies defenses overall.
Just a thought, -Orn

Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi there Orn Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope all is going well for you.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
(female)

tiggy44 HB User
came across this old post hpv vs herpes question

Ok so my question is... Can herpes cause an hpv test to be postive??? Or if you have herpes and hpv does that mean they are two diff viruses living in you forever?? whats one to do if they have both?

Old 03-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User

One virus can not "cause" another virus. But, having a virus in your body weakens it, therefore you can get new viruses easier, than if you didn't have a virus it the first place. I have both HSV (4yrs. genital) & Hpv (2 yrs.) and I also have eczema (skin condition 40+yrs) Because, of my eczema - my immune systen was already jeapordized and made me "more" suseptible to other virues, Not surprised I contracted HSV, immune system wasn't 100% to begin with. The Hpv hasn't changed after 2 yrs., now getting normal pap reading, with Hpv cells that are not changing. As along as the virus can be "controlled" it's not a big deal. If I get stressed, poor diet, lack of sleep or a heavy period - these can "trigger" my eczema and my HSV, but I've had them long enough to know my bodies warnings signs and then I can ward them off with either anti-virals, vitamins, rest or what ever it takes. You just have to be well tuned to your body and recognize the signs & symptoms.
Hope this was helpful and wasn't confusing.....-Ornament

Closed Thread