It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
(male)

AnNomus HB User
Miltary and Herpes!!!!!!!!!

I think ive had herpes for a while now and now just recently ive started to enlist into the Air force and i just want to know from Some one that has it and they are in the military or can shed some light on this subject

Last edited by AnNomus; 10-08-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User
Re: Miltary and Herpes!!!!!!!!!

I'm not in the military, but what is it that you want to know?? You just said you were entering the military.

We do know that herpes testing isn't a part of their regular testing that they do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
(male)

AnNomus HB User

OK this is the deal I went to the local MEPS station for processing and i had the breifing about dont lie, so with out me bringing my Std test paper work that states I DO NOT HAVE HERPES SIMPLEX, insted i told the doctor when he gave me a physical (That i did have Herpes...Why did i tell him HMM i thought i was being truthfull and now i think about it it might have been stupid) he didnt even ask about it, or check for that matter. The in fact it really was ....ok this is funny.....Jock Itch.HA so what should i do, i have to go back to the MEPS station and get sworn in and take my asvab so WHAT SHOULD I DO. I WANT GO TO THE AIR FORCE SOOOO. BAD PLEASE .....help.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

Sounds like your problem is ethical. To be honest about it, or not. I'm not sure I can really answer that for you!!

When it comes to telling future partners, it's always best to be honest. But personally, I don't understand why the military even has the right to be asking those question. After all, they can forbid someone from being in the military for being gay, can they?? (I don't really know, but that would go against human rights...) Do they actually say that you CAN'T join up if you are positive for herpes. That's just wrong. As well, if they said people can't join up if they have herpes, 80% of the American military would be kicked out of service!!

Other posts here indicate that the military doesn't actually test for herpes in their STD screenings. So if I understand correctly, the military Dr. said you didn't have herpes but you had jock itch instead?? Is that right?? I'm assuming that you have been tested for herpes before and you KNOW it's herpes??

Either way - if you've told the Dr., and he didn't do anything - you've been truthful, right??

At this point, it really is personal ethics...

Last edited by catharine101; 10-08-2007 at 08:04 AM.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
(male)

AnNomus HB User

Yes i did tell him that at the time i thought was herpes but it ened up being jock itch, correct. But when i go back to The Meps Its going to be on my medical sheet that i told the doctor that (I THOUGHT) it was herpes but in fact was jock-itch i have the STD paperwork to show the doc.BUT MY ??
.........Is...........

DO you think he will take it off my medical record when i show the STD PAPER WORK that in fact shows and proves herpes simplex Free.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

Fact is, you don't have herpes. You have the paperwork to prove it. So what's the problem?? They can't turn you out of the military for being tested. Do THEY know it turned out to be jock itch??

What's on your medical record is probably there permanently - but however it is listed now, once you show the proof that you are herpes-free, that will be added to your medical record too.

Maybe I just don't understand the American military, but I really don't see what the issue is... Maybe I'm being insensitive, or maybe I'm just ignorant of how things work in the military (which is certainly probable!!) but if you don't have it, you don't have it.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
(female)

LadyVeteran HB User

"What's on your medical record is probably there permanently - but however it is listed now, once you show the proof that you are herpes-free, that will be added to your medical record too."
This is correct. From what I remember (27 years ago). If you got stp in the military, it would it would go on as disability when you get out. military is picky when it comes to health. You can be gay but you can't tell. You can't go to Iraq on Prozac.
enjoy your career in the Air Force. Keep all records of where you've been copies of your medical records and pay vouchers. this will come in handy when you leave or retire. best of luck

Closed Thread