It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

carol1206 HB User
Can herpes go undetected for years?

In the last 25 years, I have only had two sexual partners. The first being my husband of 20 years. After he passed, I began seeing someone else about 4 years ago. I recently tested positive for herpes2. I'm devastated. Since this is my first outbreak, it is very painful physically and emotionally. The doctor has me on Valtrex for about 6 days now. Although the blisters are beginning to dry out, the pain is unbearable.

So my two basic questions are: Is there any topical ointment (OTC) that I can use to ease the itching and pain? Everything I have read on the subject just tells me to keep the area clean and dry. Also, is it possible that I've had the virus in my system for years and something triggered it? The guy I'm seeing, hasn't had any symptoms and will be tested Friday. Is it possible he has had the virus for years as well?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

matter of time HB User
Re: Can herpes go undetected for years?

You probably just got it from your current partner who doesn't show symptoms...which is common. If he has no symptoms, there is no telling how long he had it.

I should think if you had it in your system for years, the stress of lossing your husband would have triggered it.

My husband uses BFI anticeptic power to keep outbreaks dry.

Let us know how things turn out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

carol1206 HB User

What is a BFI anticeptic powder? Also, I noticed a year or so back, that I had alot of vaginal itching. When I went for my annual gyn check up, my doctor at that time attributed it to menopause and therefore I thought nothing of it. In hindsight, I wonder if that could have been a sign of the virus. I however, thought it was simple vaginal itching and just used vagisil and it seem to relieve the situation. Alot that I have read seems to indicate that stress attributes to an outbreak. I was separated from my husband for a few years prior to his death. I believe now the stress of his passing recently triggered something. I have three children from that marriage and now the stress of providing for them by myself is much to handle.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

matter of time HB User

I've seen BFI Anticeptic powder online and in independent drug stores. You may have to call around if you don't want to order it online. It comes in a small white cardboard cylinder package. It's expensive for the size but it lasts a long time.

Stress definately brings out herpes. There really is no telling how long you had it.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
(female)

glacierview HB User

I recently had my first outbreak of HSV-1 (genital). I have never suffered so much pain trying to urinate in my life. I was never prescribed anything as my test results were not in, but I did use plenty of Polysporin because I wasn't sure what I had. I read alot about how the blisters crust over, but using the Polysporin liberally for about a week made them just disappear with no crusting or scarring. It's been a month since the outbreak and I'm living on pins and needles waiting for the next outbreak. I have been prescribed Valtrex if and when I feel another one coming on. I still get odd jabbing pains and tingling feelings around my outbreak sight and keep thinking here it comes again, but nothing yet. Thank God for this forum....I feel like I can't talk about it with anyone else. My fiancee probably gave me herpes through oral sex, but he has no outward signs of anything, only as a child having cold sores. This has really scared me as I thought at my age (52) I was passed getting any STD's.......so I do wonder if I actually got it from him (been with him for 3 1/2 years) or was it dormant in me for years and I didnt know it! It has taken me a month to start feeling like my old self again...and even now, things just don't feel right.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

You probably got it from your "new" partner. Especially if you know he had cold sores as a child, because of course that means he has oral herpes.

Only way to MAYBE know - get a blood test done (I'm assuming the tests you had done were culture tests, as you were having an outbreak). If a blood test is negative, but your culture's show up positive, then you've just aquired the virus in the last 3 - 4 months. But, if your blood test is positive, then you've had it longer than that period. (It takes 3 - 4 months for the antibodies to develop to a point that they will show positive in your blood). Longer than 3 - 4 months means it could have been dormant for decades, or you may have got it last year. This is the closest you can tell.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
(female)

glacierview HB User

Thanks so much for your information. It's the first time I have somebody to talk to about it. You always think of questions you should have asked after you've left the doctor's office. Yes, they did take cultures from the blisters and sent them to Vancouver and they told me a week later it was HSV-1. They did mention a blood test, but said it is costly and reassured me it is very likely that I got it from my fiancee. Once again, many thanks!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
(female)

glacierview HB User

Your symptoms sound like mine....lots of vaginal itching prior to the initial breakout. And, I am also in menopause. I actually thought I had a yeast infection a few days before the break out (my first). I find it odd, that at this time, I don't really feel that stressed but I suppose if I recently acquired the virus, that any little upset could have "set" it off. Good luck in your life....I feel for you.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
(female)

glacierview HB User

I am also wondering if there is any ointment out there to use to ease the pain and itch. My doctor didn't prescribe anything during my outbreak....just Tylenol 3's. I did use Polysporin and the blisters just faded away. I wished they could have put in a catheter for me because the worst part of the outbreak was trying to urinate without passing out from the burning....just like fire. I would sit for 30 minutes trying to urinate, but every drop was so excruciating that I would give up. Drinking lots of water did help though.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

catharine101 HB User

OK - couple things here. Firstly, you live in Canada (I do too) - health care is "free". There is absolutely no cost to you to take the blood test. I have no idea why your doctor is saying that. The only possible exception I can think of is if you're in Quebec, because things there are often different - but I don't think so in this.

Ask for the blood test, if you really feel a need to confirm whether it is a new or an old infection. I had to really push my doctor for this test, but eventuall he gave it to me. Mine was negative, which indicated to me that I had a recent infection - thus I knew who gave it to me. It's reassuring informaton to have, and really - if it's free, why would he say no??

As for creams etc., I actually used Vagisil during my first outbreak, and it did help ease the itch somewhat. There are lots of other remedies on the site, if you browse a little, you'll find them.

Trying peeing in the shower. If you have a detachable shower head, so much the better. Just aim it where it hurts while you pee, and the water will dilute the urine so it doesn't hurt. (I had stiches after my baby, and I did this for weeks after while I healed... it definitely works!!) Or, use a squeeze bottle to spray water on the area and dilute the urine while you're sitting on the toilet. Again, techniques we use post-natal!!

Depending on how you feel about prescription drugs, if you get another outbreak the anit-viral medications out there (Valtrex etc.) do help decrease the severity and speed up recovery of the outbreak. Many people on this site prefer to let their body fight the virus on it's own. Other's go with the drugs. But now that you've been positively diagnosed, your doctor shouldn't have any issues with prescribing this for you if you have another outbreak.

I'm not sure who you're responding to in your post (#8) - maybe you posted that on the wrong thread??

Old 05-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
(female)

Nicole1961 HB User

Hi I just joined here and about a month ago I just got diagnosed with herpes 1
thru oral sex.Your symptoms sound just like mine.It has been a month for me and I still don't feel right down there either.I was wondering if you did have any more outbreaks and what were they like?..any info would be so helpful to me..

thanks...
Nicole

Old 05-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
(female)

Nicole1961 HB User

Hi I just joined here and about a month ago I just got diagnosed with herpes 1
thru oral sex.Your symptoms sound just like mine.It has been a month for me and I still don't feel right down there either.I was wondering if you did have any more outbreaks and what were they like?..any info would be so helpful to me..

thanks...
Nicole

Closed Thread