It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

dario1225 HB User
herpes type 1

what is the difference between herpes type 1 and 2.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
(male)

over21 HB User
Re: herpes type 1

Stigma! One seems to be socially acceptable, the other is a curse from hell.

Other than that, they're very similar. Their DNA is very similar. They both can reside in either the oral or genital location. There's no cure for either. They both mess with your mind more than your body.

This is a very common virus.

60-80% of the populations has oral HSV1, also known as cold sores or fever blisters, many getting it as a child when getting kissed from a family member. 25% of the adult population has genital HSV2, but 90% don't know it cause the symptoms are so mild they go unnoticed or misdiagnosed. Next time you're in the lunchroom or classroom, look around, if there are 100 people there, 25 will have genital HSV2, yet only 2 will know it.

There's a 25% chance the next adult person (over the age of 12, yes twelve) you see, talk to, date, sleep with, will have genital HSV2. Not having symptoms means nothing. testing 'clean' on a standard STD exam means nothing, cause most standard STD exams don't test for herpes. They may draw blood and say all your blood work is fine, but it doesn't mean you were tested for herpes. You need to ask for a herpes test; the correct blood test is an IgG type specific blood test, Herpes Select is the most common.

Now that I've shocked you, remember, just because you sleep with someone who has (or doesn't know they have) genital herpes, it doesn't mean you'll get it. The transmission rate is very low, but it does happen.

70% of new genital herpes cases are from parters who didn't know they had it. And 30% of new genital herpes cases are HSV1, because oral sex is so popular and many people don't realize that a coldsore is the herpes virus.

I suggest you read the Herpes Handbook, by Terri Warren. It's long, but worthwhile, I suggest you read it with your partner.

O21

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread