It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2002, 08:02 AM   #1

TS111 HB User
Post passing HSV 1 orally to genitals

How likely is it to have no symptoms of HSV 1 of the mouth, and then transmit it as type 1 genital herpes to someone else during oral sex?

thanks

Old 12-19-2002, 08:15 AM   #2

poindxtr HB User
It is VERY likely, since this is exactly how I got it. The guy I was with has type 1 orally, but did not know it. He gave it to me via oral sex, and now I have it genitally. He also broke out with a VERY mild case genitally during my primary outbreak. Please be very cautious!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2002, 09:28 AM   #3

TS111 HB User
Is it more likely I passed it this way or more likely that I have type 2 in the genitals without symptoms, and maybe somehow the virus was active, and then touching myself briefly, and then touching her, eventually trasmitting it to her.

from your own personal experience, whick seems to be more likely? thanks a lot

Old 12-19-2002, 09:49 AM   #4

poindxtr HB User
I think it is highly more likely that you have type 1 orally, showed no symptoms, and passed it to her this way. The man I was with, to his memory, has never had a cold sore, yet he has oral hsv. Of course this is just my opinion. Some people have hsv-2 and do not show symptoms. If I were you, I would not worry so much. It is not so much a matter of how you got it or gave it, but that proper treatment is received and it is determined which strain, 1 or 2, it actually is. Don't let yourself get down over this. You did not knowlingly pass this on to her. Accidents happen. Take care.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:32 PM   #5

red0916 HB User
I just got back my test results- positive for hsv 1, which I definitely got from a man through oral sex. Lucky me also has sores on my nipples- they tested positive for hsv 1 also. I think that when "safe sex" is talked about, there needs to be a little bit more emphasis on the dangers of oral sex. I had no idea until now that someone could pass herpes on if symptoms weren't present. Talk about learning something the hard way! PS- I used condoms with this man, so I thought I was being safe!!!!!

Old 12-21-2002, 12:50 PM   #6

TS111 HB User
I'm sorry to hear that. I understand what you mean. YOu think youre being safe, and don't even realize til it's too late that youre not. But, on a brighter note, type 1 isn't as severe, and to my knowledge is tougher to spread to someone else as genital type 1 because most people have type 1 oral, which means they have type 1 antibodies already.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:07 PM   #7
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by red0916:
I think that when "safe sex" is talked about, there needs to be a little bit more emphasis on the dangers of oral sex. I had no idea until now that someone could pass herpes on if symptoms weren't present. Talk about learning something the hard way! PS- I used condoms with this man, so I thought I was being safe!!!!!
It's so true that "safe sex" methods don't take herpes into account a whole lot. The whole concept of "safe sex" really took hold when HIV/AIDS came in and the condom as the cornerstone of the safe sex strategy is about preventing the mixing of body fluids.

However, most people don't realise that herpes has nothing to do with body fluids, per se, but with skin-to-skin contact. Unfortunately, a condom only covers a small portion of skin that could potentially be shedding the virus.

I think there needs to be a lot more education about herpes happening, but unfortunately these days with funding cutbacks, most of the public education funding these days goes to HIV. I can understand that, as it can become a fatal disease whereas herpes is not, but it leaves a huge gap in the campaign to stop the spread of STDs.

There is some good work being done by a major HSV website network these days, that has connections to several really good websites, research and treatment centres throughout the US. So it's not like the field is being abandoned, but it's hard to be effective on a mass level when herpes isn't considered a huge priority compared to something like HIV.

TheOneInFour

Old 12-30-2002, 01:33 PM   #8

SkipperK HB User
So with that said about the type I , fever blister type that would mean the majority of the people out there are infected? Seems that many get cold sores. I started getting lip blisters at age 13 and I wasn't having any kind of sex so how is this explained? I get them once in a while in my adulthood now. Does this mean I can be passing something on to any women I have kissed or had oral sex with? This is kind of messed up. Yet the girls I've been with never got anything from me. How is this all explained? Do I have to tell everyone I get involved with, that I have had fever blisters before?

Old 12-30-2002, 04:38 PM   #9
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Hi Skipper,

Yes, there are an estimated 50-80% of people who have HSV-1, which typically manifests as cold sores around the mouth area. Most people get this through non-sexual contact during childhood, usually from kissing relatives and contact with friends.

Can you pass it on when performing oral sex? Yes, it is possible and does happen, although the chances are less-so than with HSV-2. You are most contagious when you are having an outbreak, which consists of blisters, redness or rash and/or tingling, itching, burning, etc. sensations.

You can pass it on through just kissing too, but 50-80% of people you kiss will already have it, which could explain why no one has ever come back to you and told you they caught it from you. Kissing mouth-to-mouth will not spread it to the genitals, although oral sex can.

The virus goes dormant in between OBs and you are not contagious when it is inactive. However, it *can* reactivate in your system (making you contagious) but not show itself with any symptoms. That's the tricky part with any kind or location of herpes--you can be contagious and not know it.

Much depends on how aware you are of your herpes outbreak cycles. Can you feel it coming on? Have you identified factors that trigger an outbreak? (e.g., stress, poor health, sunlight, etc.) If you are able to tell when an OB is coming, you can avoid contact with the OB area until a few days after the OB completely heals.

If it sneaks up on you suddenly then it will be harder to predict when you're contagious. And there is unfortunately no guarantee that you're not contagious even in the absence of symptoms (called asymptomatic viral shedding). I believe it averages about 1% of the time for genital HSV-2, and could be less-so for oral HSV-1 since that strain *tends* to be milder...but this can vary with each individual too.

Sorry not to be able to give you more concrete information. Herpes can be tricky, unfortunately. Do you have to tell prospective partners about having oral herpes? It would be the ethical thing to do, for sure, and not everyone realises that oral herpes can become genital herpes through oral sex, so it's only fair for your partner to decide what level of risk they're comfortable taking. Each couple tends to decide together what extent of "safe sex" they will use, and having solid information helps in making that decision.

I hope that helps.

TheOneInFour

Old 01-05-2003, 10:58 PM   #10

Qurious_One HB User
Question

What about the reverse?
If you have genital herpes (hsv2..and ONLY in the nether-regions, based on outbreaks), can you transmit the virus by performing oral sex on them?

ie: can i pass it orally to their genitals, even though my o/b sites are genital?

THANKS!

Old 01-06-2003, 07:22 AM   #11
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Hi Qurious_One,

No, you can't pass it orally if your infection site is your genital area. It is spread through skin-to-skin contact with an infected area that is shedding the virus, so it would be contact with your genital area that you'd need to be cautious about. As long as you don't have it orally (i.e., cold sores) then you're fine. Be aware that a vast majority of people do have HSV-1 orally, though, so you might want to get a blood test to be sure you don't have it, if you want to be especially cautious. Just a thought.

TheOneInFour

Old 01-07-2003, 01:35 AM   #12

Qurious_One HB User
Cool

Thanks 1-in-4!
...but what about the reverse/reverse?
Can she get my genital hsv2 by performing oral sex on me? I've heard anecdotally that hsv2 doesn't catch orally, but it still doesn't sound right or safe.

thanks again (and again and again)

Closed Thread