It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2003, 08:14 AM   #1

Katbabe1987 HB User
Post Chapped lips or herpes??? Help, I'm SCARED!!

For the past 2-3 days, I've had some irritation below my bottom lip, it was chapped, really dry skin with some irritation bumps...well of course I'm constantly putting on chapstick and stuff and rubbing my lips all around, down there as well, and this morning, I woke up with little irritation bumps on both my lips!! They look like shaving irritation....but as you all know I don't shave my lips! I'm worrying myself to death...if anyone has an advice I'd really appreciate it! I'm so worried, but I think herpes would've shown up earlier, not now...but I'm just really scared. They don't hurt, unless you run your teeth over them, which i've made 2 of them bleed, or if u bite them.... they are just little and look like some type of irritation. Anyone??? Put my mind at ease?? THANKS!

~KAT

[This message has been edited by Katbabe1987 (edited 01-23-2003).]

Old 01-23-2003, 06:54 PM   #2
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Hi Kat,

What you describe might be herpes, as the symptoms are certainly similar, but it could be an allergic reaction or something too. It's a good idea to get a doc to look at it, I think.

You might try one of the over-the-counter cold sore creams available (Abreva is one) and see if that helps. (Cold sores are a type of herpes, as you are obviously aware.) Meantime, try not to touch them and keep them clean and dry. I wouldn't use a chapstick, as that could spread them more,if it's herpes.

Don't beat yourself up about this. An estimated 50-80% of the general population has oral herpes, usually caught in childhood through non-sexual contact with family members and friends. A majority of people who have herpes don't get symptoms for long periods of time or ever, so it's not out of the question that you could have had it all along but only just started getting symptoms now. Symptoms are often brought on by things like stress, sunlight (UV) or a stressed immune system, as well as other factors.

If your doc isn't sure what it is, I'd suggest you get a blood test (be sure it's type-specific). You might also get a swab culture done, but you might want to wait if they come back, when the symptoms are in their first 24-48 hours. Beyond that time the results are often not accurate and false negative results are common from the swab tests. The blood tests, on the other hand, tend to be more accurate after 3-4 months since first contracting it.

It's a good idea to be cautious about this, whatever it is, at least until you find out for sure what it is. So try not to touch it and be sure to wash your hands afterwards if you can't avoid it, before touching yourself anywhere else.

I hope that helps, even if it's not what you hoped to hear, I guess. Let us know how you make out.

TheOneInFour

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2003, 11:57 AM   #3

LuvinLife HB User
Smile

Kat, your board is a couple months old, and you probably already have your answer by now, but you might check into whether you have a fungal, or yeast, infection on your lips. It is possible, and it's easily treatible. I'm dealing with that very thing right now.
Good luck.

Old 03-29-2003, 06:01 AM   #4

Colin C HB User
What did you find out?

Many people have contact sensitivity to stuff in lip sticks.

Closed Thread