It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2003, 09:32 AM   #1

dazed and confused HB User
Post monolaurin

I have heard monolaurin is good for herpes since it is an antiviral. I did a quick search on the net and it does say that it is used for herpes, shingles, cold and flu viruses. I was wondering if anyone has used it, and if it can be used with Valtrex?

Old 02-25-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Hi D&C,

My understanding is that monolaurin is a supplement (and therefore falls under the "alternative medicine" umbrella), not a drug per se. As such it might be safe to take with Valtrex (I'm totally speculating here) but you might want to try it on its own for a while regardless; otherwise if you get results you won't know if it's the ML or the Valtrex.

Unfortunately, those that know about ML (and other alternative medicine) probably aren't pharmacologically trained to know in depth about Valtrex and vice versa. There are conventional doctors and pharmacies out there, though, who do have in-depth knowledge about both traditional and alternative medicine, so if you can find one like that they'd be good to ask about this, I would think.

Let us know what you find out about this. It would be good to know.

TheOneInFour

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #3

aliveandkicking HB User
Smile

Here's some info on monolaurin that I found posted in Dr. Andy Weil's website. Dr. Weil is a Harvard trained MD who is an expert in complementary medicine.

"Genital herpes is very common and highly contagious. It's caused by a virus transmitted through sexual contact as well as kissing, often by people who don't know they are infected or aren't aware that they can transmit the infection when they don't have symptoms. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that 45 million people, one out of five of the total adolescent and adult population, are infected.
When active, the herpes virus can cause painful sores in the genital area, but it can lay dormant for years before causing an outbreak. Antiviral drugs are available to prevent these flare-ups, but I have concerns about their long-term safety and recommend them infrequently. Instead, I suggest trying the following natural methods that I have found to be effective:

Consider monolaurin: This is a nontoxic compound composed of lauric acid (a fatty acid found in breast milk) and glycerin. It has antiviral properties and may be capable of permanently inactivating all strains of the herpes virus. I've seen good results with monlaurin in patients at the Integrative Medicine Clinic at the University of Arizona.

You can buy capsules at health food stores or online supplement retailers. My recommended dosage is 2 grams of monolaurin three times a day. It's a good idea to let your health practitioners know you are taking this product so they can monitor your progress. One reliable product is sold under the brand name Lauricidin. To learn more about this particular brand, you can write to Med-Chem Labs, PO Box 339, Galena IL 61036.

Practice relaxation: Meditation, breath work, or yoga can all help to reduce stress and, possibly, the recurrence of outbreaks.

Try acceptance: Make peace with the virus through visualization, journaling, or mental affirmations; I've heard of good results from people who have told the virus that it's welcome in their body as long as it remains dormant.

Change your diet: Eat more foods high in lysine (yogurt, fish, potatoes, brewer's yeast) and fewer foods high in arginine (chocolate, peas, nuts, seeds). Laboratory studies have suggested that L-lysine, an amino acid, may inhibit herpes and that L-arginine, may promote outbreaks."

I followed Dr. Weil's recommendation and purchased some Lauriciden. Was just clinically diagnosed with HSV last week, after I had a really bad OB. I'll let you know how I make out.

p.s. great website and posts. thanks to y'all!

Old 04-30-2003, 12:18 PM   #4

mutz HB User
aliveandkicking,

Yes, please keep us posted! I just think that with all the positive stuff going on here, we may have some breakthroughs with this thing.

The really important aspect of all of this is that through this site we are able to exchange thoughts and ideas. A huge improvement over the 'good 'ol days' when people were so ashamed that they couldn't go to the doctor much less talk to someone about it.

I have to go to D.C. for work in a few days and am trying to keep a positive attitude about possible stress-related outbreaks. Advice welcome!

Mutz

Old 04-30-2003, 07:56 PM   #5

ScaredGirlHere HB User
Good grief, so many pills and supplements! Valtrex, Lysine, BHT, olive leaf extract, and now monolaurin?? In addition to birth control, multivitamin, calcium, and chromium picolinate... I'm going to need one of those pill boxes pretty soon!

I know some of you are going to say "go off the Valtrex and try them one at a time," but I'd rather assault from all fronts, at least during the first year. I've only been diagnosed since February. But it's a shame that the pharmaceutical types and the alternative medicine types can't come together on this... it just means everything is fragmented, and there's all kinds of things that help SOME people. Maybe if I put it all together it'll be a cure! Hey, I can dream, right?

Old 05-01-2003, 04:46 AM   #6

sadgirl222 HB User
scaredgirl--I'm doing the same thing! Valtrex, olive leaf, Vit. C, multivitamin, Vit. E, birth control, allergy pills, etc.......

AHHH too many!!!!!!

Where did you find BHT? I can't find it at any health food stores, and I don't like ordering pills online. I heard this is a very powerful supplement (sometimes dangerous?)

Just another pill to add to the list. I also want to keep myself "drugged" the first year as I think that is the only way I can handle this. Hopefully all these combined will "cure" me!

Old 05-01-2003, 11:42 AM   #7

ScaredGirlHere HB User
Hey sadgirl,

I ordered it online. I'm weird about such things too, but I couldn't find it at a couple of GNC-type places I tried, and there it was on the computer screen, so I said what the hell. It's classified as a food preservative, so it's not a "supplement" per se. Also, I am only taking one pill (250mg) of BHT per day. I'm afraid to do more. So far no bad side effects for me.

Although y'all, right this minute I'm feeling a razor-burn-type sensation. Let's hope that's all this is!! Send me "non-outbreak" vibes! No one ever answered my question on the shaving thread, but this has happened a couple of times, and it's in that paranoid category while I try to learn what prodromes feel like for me.

Old 05-03-2003, 03:22 PM   #8

sadgirl222 HB User
Thanks scaredgirl--I will look into BHT

As for you...I'm sending you ~~~~no outbreak vibes~~~~

And about shaving, I have the same concern. I used to shave *down there* all the time, but feel like now it makes me very irritated. Maybe I'm just thinking about it more?! I don't know....I'm laying off it for awhile, and just telling my boyfriend I'm going natural for awhile--haha

Closed Thread