It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2003, 11:22 AM   #1

Tracey1969 HB User
Exclamation Nerve pain in leg

Has anyone out there had severe nerve pain during an outbreak or just before? I have been on valtrex for the last 3 months but due to expense and the fact that I was getting mild outbreaks during the meds I decided to go off of them. Now I am right back to where I was before. It seems like when I am about to get an ob I have stabbing burning pain shooting across my buttocks, down my leg and right into my foot. Sometimes for days. I still have a mark on my buttock where it has come in the past and sometimes my whole leg gets red and I don't even get a blister but it feels like it's going to breakout. This seems to happen every few weeks sometimes even days. For the pain my doc perscribed T#3's but they aren't even taking the edge off. I have a few other health problems (FMS and chronic insomnia for which I'm taking Klonopin 4-5 times a week for sleeping and that's it for meds)but I am sure this nerve pain is to do with Herpes. If anyone has any ideas on how to treat this or even get through this I would greatly appreciate their input. I have young children and a husband at home who need me but sometimes the pain can make me irritable and feeling alone. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

Old 05-07-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Hi Tracey,

I'm sorry to hear you're having such an awful time with this. I was wondering as I read your description, though, if what you have might be due to shingles rather than genital herpes. Shingles is also caused by a member of the herpes virus family (the same virus that causes chicken pox, which in some people can morph into shingles in later life).

Shingles can cause nerve damage which can be extremely painful. It is usually (but not always, from what I understand) accompanied by rash-like symptoms in the affected area but I think the neuralgia (nerve pain) can linger after the visible symptoms are gone. Valtrex may also prescribed for shingles, although often in much higher doses, but it helps calm it and (if I'm not mistaken) can prevent worsening of the nerve damage which can often increase over time.

Sorry, I don't mean to scare you and I must qualify this by saying I'm not a health professional. If it were me, I'd talk to a neurologist about it. It certainly sounds like it's a neuralgia of sorts (which I believe is an umbrella term for nerve pain), so a neurologist could possibly tell you if it's shingles or something else related to the genital herpes or something else entirely. I have also suffered from a type of neuralgia in my outer thigh that's from a pinched nerve at my groin -- nothing to do with my genital herpes. Not a lot of fun.

In the meantime, have you tried an ice pack at the lumbar region and along the pain areas? (10 minutes on, 10 off) You might also try an anti-inflammatory like Advil, which could be helpful when taken regularly. Gentle stretches to loosen up the muscles around the lower spine and hip joints might also help over time, but if it makes it worse then stop and consult your doctor.

I'm really sad to hear how alone and unsupported you feel by your family at a time when you're obviously struggling with more than your share of problems. Maybe you need to be clearer with them about how much you're suffering right now. Nerve pain like that can eat away at your concentration, your energy and your sanity. You deserve to be supported enough that you don't feel so alone.

Good luck! I hope you find relief. Let us know how you make out.

TheOneInFour

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2003, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User
I get nerve pain during an ob as well. My ob are through my cyotic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body. That is probably why we experience this pain. I've found there's nothing to eliminate the pain, but when I feel an ob coming on I start taking hot baths and applying alcohol to the sight. Only do this if it's away from the anus. Mine's on my cheek, so it won't hurt anything. I've noticed that with rubbing alcohol I sometimes eliminate my ob or shorten the number of days I have the symptoms. Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
(female)

sassy_1416 HB User
Re: Nerve pain in leg

Quote:
Originally Posted by normorcrazy View Post
I get nerve pain during an ob as well. My ob are through my cyotic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body. That is probably why we experience this pain. I've found there's nothing to eliminate the pain, but when I feel an ob coming on I start taking hot baths and applying alcohol to the sight. Only do this if it's away from the anus. Mine's on my cheek, so it won't hurt anything. I've noticed that with rubbing alcohol I sometimes eliminate my ob or shorten the number of days I have the symptoms. Hope this helps.
normorcrazy: I was diagnosed with "re-occuring" shingles 20 years ago. I too suffer from the sciatic (cyotic) nerve pain. It wasn't until recently that the doctors put 2 & 2 togther. Everytime I have a herpes ob, the shingles rear their ugly head. However, there are times that I suffer from an ob of shingles & NO ob of the genital herpes. I am also on a daily maintenance dose of Valtrex. When taking this EVERY SINGLE day, the ob (for both) are few and far between. I also take a daily does of Zinc. It seems that since I've started this particular "maintenance" routine, the ob are even fewer than before. Age or zinc...I really can tell ya. I will tell you this...skipping even ONE day of the Valtrex is asking for trouble. Of course, during an ob of either, I triple up on the dosage of Valtrex.
The pain? Sorry....there's just no getting away from it. It's something we will deal with for the rest of our lives. I know this hasn't been very 'informative'...but at least you know you are NOT the only one out there suffering.
Good luck and take care. If you come across anything that help with the pain besides narcotics....please let me know!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
(male)

deepblue66 HB User

Yup, nerve pain from my groin, down the inside of my left leg (especially my thigh) and into my foot, just before and during an OB. Severity of pain appears linked to the severity of the blisters (which are only on the penis, not the leg). At its worst it makes walking really uncomfortable at best it's just darned annoying.

Sorry I can't offer a solution, but please know that you are not alone.

Last edited by deepblue66; 05-13-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
(male)

hp8 HB User

I broke out with a blister on my lip last night. But also have a painful blister rash on my ankle now. I thought you only get sores/blisters where the virus will enter. paranoia setting in, back to the doc tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Quote:
I thought you only get sores/blisters where the virus will enter
No, I get OBs in many places

Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #8
(male)

ell717 HB User

i have dealt with herpes for nearly twenty years and it gets much easier after a couple of years. the body adapts and outbreaks occur much less frequently and over fewer days.

what works for me is ice. a good ice pack wont stop the outbreak from happening, but in my experience medicines or anything that attempts to stop the body from expelling the virus will only prolong the agony and tend to relocate the outbreaks. keeping the outbreak area where it is can be a good thing. the pain is incredible but if you keep the ice on the spot where it hurts until after it goes numb (there is a burning stage, just after that the ice can be removed) it will be hours before the pain relocates closer to the point of the outbreak. when that happens relocate the ice.

after many years i can honestly say it is the pain, not the outbreaks that makes herpes so difficult. i usually feel relieved by the time an outbreak happens because i know the pain is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey1969 View Post
Has anyone out there had severe nerve pain during an outbreak or just before? I have been on valtrex for the last 3 months but due to expense and the fact that I was getting mild outbreaks during the meds I decided to go off of them. Now I am right back to where I was before. It seems like when I am about to get an ob I have stabbing burning pain shooting across my buttocks, down my leg and right into my foot. Sometimes for days. I still have a mark on my buttock where it has come in the past and sometimes my whole leg gets red and I don't even get a blister but it feels like it's going to breakout. This seems to happen every few weeks sometimes even days. For the pain my doc perscribed T#3's but they aren't even taking the edge off. I have a few other health problems (FMS and chronic insomnia for which I'm taking Klonopin 4-5 times a week for sleeping and that's it for meds)but I am sure this nerve pain is to do with Herpes. If anyone has any ideas on how to treat this or even get through this I would greatly appreciate their input. I have young children and a husband at home who need me but sometimes the pain can make me irritable and feeling alone. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

Closed Thread