It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 09:40 AM   #1

kabookie HB User
Angry herpes on my buttocks-PLEASE HELP

I was diagnosed with herpes in January. I got it from my boyfriend, who had a cold sore on his mouth and gave it to me through oral sex. I have noticed, I only get reoccurances when I go through a lot of stress, etc. When I get it, I get it on my buttocks and not where I originally got it from. Does this happen to anyone else? I can't use the restroom and it hurts so bad to sit. The first outbreak was all over me, butt, legs, vaginal area....but reoccurances are only on my buttucks area. Is anyone else out there like this and what do you do about it?? thans

The following user gives a hug of support to kabookie:
annfill (09-23-2011)
Old 07-01-2003, 01:39 PM   #2
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Hi Kabookie,

Yes, I get outbreaks (OBs) on my buttocks too. It's actually a more common OB site than people realise. The reason relates to how herpes lives in the body. You can get OBs anywhere in the area of skin that is served by the same nerve system as where you were originally infected.

The virus, when it goes dormant, lives in the nerves and hides in a nerve ganglion (cluster of nerves) in the spine. Basically, unless it's transmitted elsewhere via the skin surface, it will stay in the nerves that stem from the same spinal ganglion. Those nerves branch out to a particular area of skin (called a dermatome). When the virus reactivates, it can potentially take any route to the skin surface and produce an OB, which means you can get an OB anywhere within that dermatome. For genital herpes this basically means anywhere in the "boxer shorts" area. The buttocks are part of this potential OB area.

I get OBs around my vulva and anal areas too, but they seem to be much milder and easier to heal than the buttock site. I suspect the sitting and other friction may aggravate the sores and make it harder for them to heal (that's just my theory). I've found great success with antiviral drugs (I like Valtrex best but it's also very expensive; a much cheaper drug is Acyclovir). In fact, it can be advised for anyone in their first year after initial infection to take a suppressive (daily) dose of antivirals. You should talk to your doctor about this. This can help you minimise OBs while your body builds up antibodies.

There are also alternative/herbal remedies you might want to try. Check out other threads on this board about Olive Leave Extract (OLE) and Oil of Oregano (OOO). Some people on this board have found a lot of success in reducing or eliminating OBs with them, but it can take a while before you get consistent results, both with the herbs and the antivirals.

OBs can definitely be brought on by stress, and for women they can also be related to their menstrual cycle. I often get OBs just before my period, which is also a time when I'm most susceptible to getting a cold or flu if I'm fighting something.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out with this.

TheOneInFour

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 04:22 PM   #3

kabookie HB User
thanks for all the great info. I really appreciate it. Everytime I have an outbreak it is ONLY in the buttocks area now. Have you heard of that? I use valtrex and it takes a few days and goes away. It is just so hard to deal with, I couldn't work today..I can't walk and even laying down hurts! Those things you listed...the oils, DO you just rub them on the infected area to ease the pain?

Old 07-01-2003, 09:22 PM   #4
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
For years the only place I had OBs was at the top of my buttocks. It was only when it suddenly started spreading, after some 13 years of OBs there, that it went beyond that due to overwhelming stress. Now I get OBs in a variety of places.

As for the oils, they have been taken internally by those who have talked about them here. Again, I'd strongly suggest you read the archive messages on this board for more info (you can do a search for the terms).

It would also be a good idea if you consulted a qualified herbalist or naturopath before trying them, if possible. At the very least, do some research first. Herbs may be "natural" but so is Belladonna (highly poisonous). Be careful with them.

People on this board who have tried OLE and OOO (taken orally) have reported a decrease in the frequency and severity of OBs. They may work differently for each person, but it might be worth checking into.

TheOneInFour

Old 07-06-2003, 09:35 AM   #5

gatesofpearl HB User
I've been on Oil of Oregano for over 4 months. It has totally snuffed out my outbreaks. I actually "feel" cured. I recommend that you try it for at least three months. You use a few drops under the tongue, two times a day. Try to hold it under your tongue for as long as you can so the mucus membranes in the mouth will absorb it.

Closed Thread